Sponsored

Hellion 6266 Dyno, Valve FLOAT? Spark?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
What kind of “number” would you expect at that power ?
Mid 8’s @ high 150’s?
Sponsored

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic PP
Are you absolutely sure that it is valve float and not just blowing out the spark? My tuner had me add stronger springs when I was at 15psi just to not see a difference at all with the breakup under boost. I tightened my spark plug gap from .028" to .023" and have been able to make up to 18psi of boost so far and it runs fantastic!

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
Are you absolutely sure that it is valve float and not just blowing out the spark? My tuner had me add stronger springs when I was at 15psi just to not see a difference at all with the breakup under boost. I tightened my spark plug gap from .028" to .023" and have been able to make up to 18psi of boost so far and it runs fantastic!
I imagine lund would have told him to check the plugs already. I mean whenever you're tuning a car you should check plugs when you have any kind of problem (if you're on a dyno like OP). Plugs can tell you a lot after a full pull.

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I imagine lund would have told him to check the plugs already. I mean whenever you're tuning a car you should check plugs when you have any kind of problem (if you're on a dyno like OP). Plugs can tell you a lot after a full pull.
Well they told me that the exhaust cams weren't being well controlled. It's a super easy test where the springs are a major job. Tighten that gap and try it again.

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
Well they told me that the exhaust cams weren't being well controlled. It's a super easy test where the springs are a major job. Tighten that gap and try it again.
Well good that you're here to share that experience, hopefully that is all op needs to do. All the guys who I know as the best wrenchers, always start with the basics and work up from there. Probably why they're better than me hahahaha

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
i dunno, we made over 1100 wheel on this s550 without any issue, does have valve springs

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure Lund would know the difference between spark blow out and float per the logs.. They said it can be seen in the cams whats going on.

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure Lund would know the difference between spark blow out and float per the logs.. They said it can be seen in the cams whats going on.
My experience with Lund has been very positive so far and they make great power but they did have an issue identifying my problem. It’s possible that when the spark is blown out the Ecu commands can timing changes as well. It’s an easy test and can be verified easily.

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello Everyone.

Sorry for the delay in response to this post. We just returned from the NMRA race in Joliet IL.

Power falling off on a dyno can be seen for many many reasons, all of these can play a small part or a cumulative one--Load, tune, or mechanical reason. With our testing, we have made over 1400 rwhp with the factory manifolds routinely, and have run into the 8 second zone with them as well. We had one of the first 8 second S550 Mustangs with stock manifolds, stock VCT, and shifting at 6200 rpm years ago.

It is very important to discuss backpressure in a turbocharged application. It has been noted in this post the terms "backpressure issue" when it really is just a function of making power and not really an "issue" but more of a factor when driving a turbocharger. When power levels increase, the pressure, including boost, rises. It is our job to compensate the tune, plug gap, fuel mixture, and possibly valvetrain when necessary. Valve float can be a problem on the intake side at some point as well, but it is never discussed as a "boost issue", because it is thought of in a different perspective. When pressures rise, everything in the system needs to be on point to deliver the power desired. At high levels we need a free flowing exhaust, plug gap around the .015 range, and a plug that is not too cold. The fuel mixture needs to be perfect, and with those factors correct, will give us the best chance to have combustion under these high loads.

We make over 36 lbs of boost in our full effort race cars and over 75 lbs of backpressure, but we never call the backpressure an Issue, its just a function of driving the turbo at this level.

Each vehicle needs to be evaluated when there are different results, and we are here to help. We have been in business since 2004 as Hellion, and many years before that building custom race setups as Urist Racing. We stand behind our product and service, and we are always pushing the envelope-- Either if its a powerful street car or a full blown race effort.

There has been some discussion about correction factors here, and we will just point out that we test our vehicles/systems on different dynos all over the world, and the numbers repeat themselves so well, we use them in all tuning, data recording, and for recommendations in refining customer builds. Please note the two videos below, one is our Street Outlaw S550 at the Dyno Edge at 6000 ft of elevation--2006 rwhp. Next, is the same vehicle from a week ago in Spring Grove IL, at Hyperaktive on a Mainline Pro Hub 5000 (the finest hub dyno in the world)---2095 hp. Different corrections, different dynos, different elevations, etc---same result.

If anyone has any questions or needs assistance please feel free to contact us.

Team Hellion

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I think some people panic when they attempt to "read" data logs and dont even know what they are looking at.....

Sponsored

francisco511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I know this kit makes big power on built motors with upgraded springs.

I want to see Dyno graphs on stock motors with stock springs at 14+ psi.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I think some people panic when they attempt to "read" data logs and dont even know what they are looking at.....
Are you implying Lund tuners are panicing while they're reading customer's logs and don't know what they're looking at?

Because the OP said his tuner specifically said he noticed the issue in the cam timing. It's not like amateurs are reading through their logs and immediately panicking and shouting valve float.
I know this kit makes big power on built motors with upgraded springs.

I want to see Dyno graphs on stock motors with stock springs at 14+ psi.
Here ya go. Mod list in sig. 15, 14, and 12 psi. Stock springs and motor. Lund told me the dip at the top of the power band on 14-15 psi may be valve float but they didn't say for sure.
dynorunShare_0.png

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Would just like some insight on freeing up the exhaust maybe working or am I wasting my time and actually need springs..
Log for anyone interested: https://filehost.net/34c239bdee46e680

tsloms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would just like some insight on freeing up the exhaust maybe working or am I wasting my time and actually need springs..
Have you tried to tighten the spark plug gap? It only takes 10 minutes to test it.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried to tighten the spark plug gap? It only takes 10 minutes to test it.
I can do that, but its not blowing out spark..
Sponsored