Hellion 6266 Dyno, Valve FLOAT? Spark?

iTutn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Accord Euro R / 2016 GT Premium PP
This is well documented with turbo twin kits using stock headers. Proper turbo headers don't do this valve float. Back pressure is floating them. Not saying it won't happen with turbo built headers just not at 14-16 psi
Wait hellion charges that much and reuses the stock headers????? WOW! Consider my mind blown.

Sponsored

budsell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
mmmmm my car 62/66 kit 1194 hp no valve float
Was your car dyno'd in Albuquerque? If so your car didn't actually make 1194hp. There is probably a large correction factor on you dyno sheet inflating the cars actual output which is probably around 950hp. Still a decent amount more than the OP though

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Wait hellion charges that much and reuses the stock headers????? WOW! Consider my mind blown.
Yeah. But hey, you can do stuff like that when you're actually supporting the platform. No one is providing custom turbo headers for the car in their kits from what I can gather. But still, we share the same trepidation.

OP
OP
Ponderthis

Ponderthis

Boost Loading...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
the backpressure pre-turbo is where the problem resides, the cutouts won't relieve that
You realize that Pre-Turbo back pressure can also be caused by air that is also flowing out the exhaust post turbine at a slow rate? AKA a restrictive exhaust... Hence large diameter piping, cutouts, high flow cats, high flow mufflers etc etc.. It is not solely a problem pre turbo always.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
Guys keep debating this. A proper turbo setup does not use OEM exhaust headers. I am pretty darn sure the Ford engineer that designed these 5.0 exhaust manifolds would agree.

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
You realize that Pre-Turbo back pressure can also be caused by air that is also flowing out the exhaust post turbine at a slow rate? AKA a restrictive exhaust... Hence large diameter piping, cutouts, high flow cats, high flow mufflers etc etc.. It is not solely a problem pre turbo always.
If it's choking pre turbo, high flow cats, cut outs, and especially mufflers won't help. Choking pre turbo usually means the hot side isn't matched properly. So that could mean too small of an a/r, too small of a housing too...

I don't believe the stock manifolds are as bad as people make them out to be. Some of the turds guys doing DIY turbo setups at 1k+whp out there certainly flow worse.

I'm suspicious the hellion hotside piping just is causing issues. It's long and has a lot of bends. So you end up with a lot of heat, but not a very easy path to the turbo. Combine that with potentially the wrong turbine housing, and you could be getting "choked up." But that's just my opinion. I'd love to see someone put up some valid data, to back up what they believe is fact.

Also, seriously, with the money one of those kits costs, and just the costs in general involved going over 1kwhp, you can certainly make a shorty header work. Just need a good fabricator. But then again, if you did have a good fabricator you probably wouldn't be buying an off the shelf kit.

Sponsored

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
Was your car dyno'd in Albuquerque? If so your car didn't actually make 1194hp. There is probably a large correction factor on you dyno sheet inflating the cars actual output which is probably around 950hp. Still a decent amount more than the OP though
On second thought I don't know. I'd like to see the correction factor, and the turbos being used. I thought it was a bit high, but if the car has 6466's then it's entirely possible. Aldo's setup did 1kwhp on 15psi

budsell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
On second thought I don't know. I'd like to see the correction factor, and the turbos being used. I thought it was a bit high, but if the car has 6466's then it's entirely possible. Aldo's setup did 1kwhp on 15psi
I'm assuming the 1194hp car mentioned is the one in this article. The pic of the dynograph in the article says a 1.27 correction factor so the car actually only made 940hp. That is why I don't like correction factors sometimes, it makes people think things like stock valve springs held up to 1194hp when it actually made 250hp less than that:

https://www.fordnxt.com/news/twin-turbo-stock-block-2018-mustang-raises-the-bar-to-1194-rwhp/

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH
I'm assuming the 1194hp car mentioned is the one in this article. The pic of the dynograph in the article says a 1.27 correction factor so the car actually only made 940hp. That is why I don't like correction factors sometimes, it makes people think things like stock valve springs held up to 1194hp when it actually made 250hp less than that:

https://www.fordnxt.com/news/twin-turbo-stock-block-2018-mustang-raises-the-bar-to-1194-rwhp/
Good eye I didn't see that in the article.

Yeah I agree. To be honest the more I look into hellion the more I'm disappointed with the way they do things online. But businesses are there to try to make as much money as possible. Not that I have anything against proper capitalism, but... Deception when it comes to builds that cost this much/engines this much... Not so ok.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Exactly.

Start here and see what kind of results you get.

I'd start with upgrading the downpipes and installilng your cut outs... see what that gets you.

This is the main reason CPR's kit uses a 5" downpipe and pulls to well over 7k rpm.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
mmmmm my car 62/66 kit 1194 hp no valve float
Cool. Any idea when you might make some passes? I thought it was a shop car and feared we may never see any track times. Dyno and correction numbers and whatever else don't really matter. If it runs the number thats what counts. People mention Aldo Welds dyno but beyond that its running the number.
Sponsored