Header opinions

wldtang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Looking to add longtube headers to my 17R.

looking for opinions from those who did the install themselves.
fitment, sound, performance, quality.

kooks stepped headers
American racing 1 7/8”
stainless works 1 7/8”
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Are you only considering the three brands that you mentioned? If not, don’t rule out Ultimate Headers LTHs. I put them on my 2019 Bullitt about 2 1/2 hears ago. Quality and fitment are top tier (no rubbing or contacting any areas on the car). I can also report that I recently removed and reinstalled my MT82-D4 tranny without having to remove the headers (this is a huge plus IMO).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bullitt-long-tube-header-installation.147899/

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
In a similar situation myself in that headers + a tune are going to be my next upgrade.

From everything i've read, you can't really go wrong with Kooks LT headers. I'm just worried about the noise. Currently have the Roush catback exhaust w/ x pipe and it's already extremely loud. I feel like with headers my neighborhood is going to hate me (I don't have active exhaust on the vehicle)

Hoping others chime in as well.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
In a similar situation myself in that headers + a tune are going to be my next upgrade.

From everything i've read, you can't really go wrong with Kooks LT headers. I'm just worried about the noise. Currently have the Roush catback exhaust w/ x pipe and it's already extremely loud. I feel like with headers my neighborhood is going to hate me (I don't have active exhaust on the vehicle)

Hoping others chime in as well.
Oh yeah, that combination is going to be very loud during cold starts and moderate to full throttle. I basically have that same setup with a different brand of LTHs and axle back. Here’s a first cold start after tranny work and new Lund tunes for IMRC delete. Disregard the coughing and sputtering, that was corrected with a crank relearn procedure.

Last edited:

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Oh yeah, that combination is going to be very loud during cold starts and moderate to full throttle. I basically have that same setup with a different brand of LTHs and axle back. Here’s a first cold start after tranny work and new Lund tunes for IMRC delete. Disregard the coughing and sputtering, that was corrected with a crank relearn procedure.

Sounds incredible man! You're making me want to upgrade the headers sooner than later.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Ghost cam!! :like: :)

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Ghost cam!! :like: :)
No Ghost Cam (afraid to run one for fear of damaging the cats). The car just needed a crank relearn. Shortly after that video, I took the car out for a test drive and it threw codes for cylinders 3, 4 and 7 misfires. It’s running right now though.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I know, it was humor. Thats why I added the smiling faces.
I gotcha. I sure would love to have one to play with though, I ran one on my 2013 GT which was catless, so no problem there. Easy cam swap (without the extensive labor of actually putting cams in). I imagine a FBO car could even pass one off as actual cams, lol.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
One question I have about headers in a S550.

Does the in cabin noise go up ? Can you hear the exhaust pulses in the tubes?
I really want a set but I do want to be able to hold a conversation, so no more cabin noise. I can always add bullet mufflers to tame the outside noise.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
One question I have about headers in a S550.

Does the in cabin noise go up ? Can you hear the exhaust pulses in the tubes?
I really want a set but I do want to be able to hold a conversation, so no more cabin noise. I can always add bullet mufflers to tame the outside noise.
Oh yeah, It’s very easy to hold a conversation and clearly hear the stereo with them. Cabin noise is a little louder, but nowhere near what one might think because the exhaust runs all the way out the back. If you dumped it after the X or H, I think that might make having a normal conversation more difficult.

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
If I put headers on my 17 350, I will absolutely run Ultimate Headers. Their flange design is top notch and fitment can't be beat.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Stainless works longtubes is what I always get.
Sponsored