Sponsored

Having some A10 weirdness

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
After 1300 miles I generally love the 10-speed. The only quirk has been that to get it to downshift into 1st from 2nd or 3rd you have to actually stop the car and keep it stopped for a fraction of a second. No biggie, given that it has upshifted beautifully Up till now. So yesterday I noticed that on the upshift it was going from 1st to 3rd, skipping 2nd altogether. This was at light to moderate throttle pressure. My wife suggested I try to power cycle the car off and on like you would a computer and damn if it didnā€™t work! I tried a couple of hard pulls after that and all seemed perfect again.

Because turning the car off and on seemed to work Iā€™m guessing nothing is mechanically wrong with the trans. But are these A10s computer controlled to the extent that power cycling the car could actually reset whatever controls the shifting? I know the transmission is adaptive but mine should be used to a pretty heavy foot by now.

I hate to take it in to the dealer unless thereā€™s no alternative.
Sponsored

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
Skipping gears is normal behavior for the A10.

1,3,5 in normal driving. If you hammer it then it will not skip gears.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Skipping gears is normal behavior for the A10.

1,3,5 in normal driving. If you hammer it then it will not skip gears.
Thanks, this helps. Does it matter that I had it in Sport+ mode? I should have said that. Iā€™ve never driven it in any other mode except for an occasional pull in drag strip mode.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
If you were in S+ mode I would say that was odd. I know for sure if the quadrant is in S that it does not do the skip shift thing. If you are in D on the quadrant and S+ in mode and use light throttle, I cannot confirm or deny that it may do the skip shift thing (although I would not think that it would skip shift). I very rarely use the modes, and then just usually wet/snow, as I find it easier to simply pull the shifter back to S, so I don't have any experience with that.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the trans selector is in TRANS MODE D or S, the trans will skip shifts on the upshift OR downshift as needed based on the design of the software logic.

The only time the trans will upshift or downshift consecutively is IF the paddles were touched at any point during the drive and the user is manually downshifting OR upshifts using the paddles.

Even if the paddles are activated and the user is not manually downshifting, the transmission will select the best most optimum gearing as per the software logic.

Go to this thread, scroll to bottom and read the ā€œ10R80 for Newbiesā€ section and also review any links supplied. Thereā€™s a TON of excellent 10R80 info for new owners.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Sponsored

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the trans selector is in TRANS MODE D or S, the trans will skip shifts on the upshift OR downshift as needed based on the design of the software logic.

The only time the trans will upshift or downshift consecutively is IF the paddles were touched at any point during the drive and the user is manually downshifting OR upshifts using the paddles.

Even if the paddles are activated and the user is not manually downshifting, the transmission will select the best most optimum gearing as per the software logic.

Go to this thread, scroll to bottom and read the ā€œ10R80 for Newbiesā€ section and also review any links supplied. Thereā€™s a TON of excellent 10R80 info for new owners.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/
Good Lord man, what a resource!

Thanks more than you know both for pointing it out to me now and creating it in the first place.

Reactions: lew

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Good Lord man, what a resource!

Thanks more than you know both for pointing it out to me now and creating it in the first place.
Hey no problem - always here to help and glad the resource helps the 10R80 community.
Sponsored