H-Pipe Not Meeting Expectations

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Just installed a Steeda H-Pipe on my 2020 GT Convertible with active exhaust.
I was expecting a slight increase in volume, keeping the deep tone, no rasp, and no drone. I've got the total opposite.

Volume: The start-up volume is extremely loud. Too loud for what I was looking for.
Rasp: I find that when getting above 2500k RPM the tone is much raspier than with the stock resonator.
Drone: The drone inside the car is ridiculous, especially in 9th/10th gear on the highway which I'm thinking may be because it's a convertible and not a coupe as the videos I watched said there's no drone at all. Even with the stock exhaust there was some drone in track mode in 9th/10th, so I'm thinking it's a convertible thing. But the drone at all speeds now is a lot.

My goal: To reduce overall volume a little, and get back to a deeper tone without the rasp.
Considering a few things and looking for input.
1) Cut the H-Pipe between the H and the Steeda bracket (shown in the picture) and Install 12" Vibrant Resonators?
2) Go back to stock resonator and do nothing
3) Go back to stock resonator and spend a ton on an axle-back active exhaust.

Thoughts?

HPipe.jpg
Sounds like you need a Double H pipe my friend. https://www.lethalperformance.com/c...h-pipe-2015-2020-5-2l-shelby-gt350-21084.html
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I ended up going with the borla switchfire, ordered from LTH, only took 2 days to get here. I felt like it would give me what I was looking for because I also wanted to keep stock mufflers and they didn't disappoint.

Here is a video I put on IG the other day giving simple clips for each mode. I did manage to edit in the wrong clip on the 2nd sportmode. It should have been the rev but I accidently added the track take off so that plays twice.

Out of car,

In car,

Last edited:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Now that sounds exactly what I'm looking for. How is the cold start bark?
I have my car set on quiet mode from 10pm to 9am. The initial start is loud for about 5 seconds then it's quiet. Quiet mode is actually very quiet, I love it for when I need it.

I went for a long drive this weekend and it was nice having the option to basically have a silent cabin while crusing the highway because all the other modes are definitely noticable. They absolutely scream off of walls, cars and overpassess.

I was originally going to go with an hpipe but the more reviews I read the more I figured it might be a bit too quiet for what I wanted. I don't like LOUD but I like enjoyable volume that can turn heads occasionally. They really made a great pipe here. It gives you a nice low end sound and it just tears open everything around it when it revs out. I really reminded me of driving a 350.

See if @Andrew@Lethal can hit you with a promo code. I ordered with their spring promo and got it for under $420 shipped if I remember correctly.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have the heartthrob h pipe, resonator delete, with non axtive exhaust. Installed one month of ownership of my 2018 GT. Couldnt be happier with sound and there is no rasp. Stock mufflers. Drone is from the mufflers and/or rather no mufflers
Same. Except I went with SLP loudmouth II axle backs. Zero drone. Zero rasp. Stainless. 1/2 the weight of the base muffler. Cold starts are loud with a very deep tone. Warm idle deep tone not too loud. Cruising is quiet-ish with a deep tone. WOT is stupid loud, Very aggressive, deep tone.

Sponsored

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
My concern is rasp........I can't stand it. To me it cheapens the sound of the car. The h-pipe I had installed sounded terrible. I have the active exhaust and have no interest in replacing the muffs.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Judging by wireeater's post and from what I have seen on YouTube I just ordered up the Borla SwitchFire unit. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for.........fingers crossed.

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I ended up going with the borla switchfire, ordered from LTH, only took 2 days to get here. I felt like it would give me what I was looking for because I also wanted to keep stock mufflers and they didn't disappoint.

Here is a video I put on IG the other day giving simple clips for each mode. I did manage to edit in the wrong clip on the 2nd sportmode. It should have been the rev but I accidently added the track take off so that plays twice.

Out of car,

In car,
Did you need a retune after installing this? This is 1st on my mod list.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I have the active exhaust on my '20. I had an h-pipe installed and did not care for the rasp and general tone what-so-ever. I had that removed and had it replaced with a Magnaflow Tru-X resonated x-pipe. While the tone is just what I wanted (deeper and much more refined) the volume is just a bit louder than the stock resonator.

Wonder how it would sound with the Tru-X resonator left in place and then performing a muffler delete............hmmmmmm🤔.
Tru X is infamous for quieting to stock like volume. But no mufflers will lead to drone but with the true X at least the tone wouldn't be horrible like it would be with just a mid pipe and no mufflers.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have a 2020 GT with active exhaust and the Steeda H pipe. I can say for sure there is no "drone". It is louder in track mode on the highway, but it does not drone/annoying harmonic frequencies/that sort of thing.

I do have it start in quiet mode 24/7 due to not wanting my neighbors to hate me. No negative things to say about this setup from me, it sounds awesome!

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
X + Active exhaust > H + Active exhaust
Sponsored