Sponsored

GT350R Weight

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Someone is eating crow tonight.

The R is not a model, it's just an option.

Don't sh!t yourself already, wait until the GT350 vs. z28 articles go live. I'm gonna hammer it...

There will only be one official curb weight, just as every other Mustang this Gen.

You don't need to wait for official curb weights, I told you what the R was going to weigh months ago. I figured the GT350TP (I think I said 3680)to be slightly under the GT and a 3570lbs GT350R was pretty safe.

All of my figures looked to be 20-30lbs too heavy.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
If that's with a full tank, that ain't bad.
This was probably already answered, but 4 pages... pass.

Indeed, Ford claims that is with a completely full tank of fuel. :cheers:

They also said the coolant was full, per the Car & Driver article I read earlier today. Of course, I'd expect full coolant for any car. So it should be about 100 lb lighter empty. I'd say about 60-65 lb lighter for anyone going to drag race or run a short road course.

I'd have been really impressed if they'd added, "That's also with our 175 lb driver in the seat!" :D

Even so, I'm not hurt over this weight. It's a bunch of car!!!

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
i find it stupid when manufacturers report a dry weight meaning no fluids. WTF might as well quote the car with no wheels or tires, its an equally useless car.

Obsessed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
So now that we know the regular gt350 weights more than the gt, what's next? Is the 350 gonna lose to the 1 LE around the track, and have worse (or similar) 1/4 mile and 0-60 times than the GT too? Last to come out will be performance numbers. Is that a sign they will suck? Numbers better be damn good after this news.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
A regular GTPP weights around 3740 lbs, so if we just put a catback, carbon fiber wheels and remove the rear seats we are also down to 3650 lbs!

The 5.2lt weights more i m guessing, but it is really hard to believe that Ford tried so hard to took weight out of the gt350r.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
The content and features between a base GT PP w/Recaro and base GT350 will be very similar.

It's going to be very interesting to see how much a base GT350 weighs...

Sponsored

my03mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru BRZ, 2017 Ford Fiesta ST
The very last Cobra R back in 2000 weighed 3589 pounds (Some quote around 3600). That was a new edge. For one, the S550 is a much larger car then the SN95's were. There is a big difference in size when I park my Mach next to my dad's '14 5.0.

Then there are the actual upgrades, much more power, tire, brakes, suspension, better safety, comfort etc. I could go on for awhile. What I'm getting at here, for how big the GT350 is and how much more it offers I think it's pretty impressive to see what they achieved. It's no light weight but it isn't really heavy either.

Neos281

stang fever
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.soec.org
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT500
Curb Weight Explained

The very last Cobra R back in 2000 weighed 3589 pounds (Some quote around 3600). That was a new edge. For one, the S550 is a much larger car then the SN95's were. There is a big difference in size when I park my Mach next to my dad's '14 5.0.
Very good point.

For those of you still questioning what Curb Weight really means, below is a pretty good explanation on the topic (taken from the NSX forums).

john@johnhudakracing said:
This is an often misunderstood topic. There are several terms-

'Curb Weight' - Curb (Kerb) weight is the total weight of an automobile with standard equipment, oil, lubricants, coolant, a full tank of fuel and not loaded with either passengers or cargo. It is also referred to more specifically as the 'wet curb weight'.

'Dry weight' is the weight of an automobile with standard equipment, no oil, lubricants, coolant, or fuel and not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

'Race weight or Scale Weight' A race term, it is the weight as would normally be found on a set of scales while doing suspension setup, typically the Curb Weight plus a variable amount of ballast representing the driver.

'Gross Vehicle Weight' (GVWR) - Put simply, GVWR is a vehicle when fully loaded with passengers and/or cargo. The GVWR is the maximum a loaded vehicle can weigh, with fuel, passengers, luggage, "stuff" in the cabin, and in the case of trucks... also items in the bed, tool box, trailer hitch(s), and trailer hitch weight on the 5th-wheel hitch or on the receiver hitch. he gross vehicle weight restriction (GVWR) is a term used by vehicle manufacturers to indicate the maximum amount of weight the vehicle is designed to handle. The door-frame placard will probably use this abbreviation. The limiting factor of the vehicle might be the strength of the frame, struts or suspension, tires, or drive train components. Knowing the GVWR is designed to assist a vehicle owner to not break the vehicle by overloading it. Trucks may further list a GCWR - Relevant for trucking and closely related, it is the maximum combined weight of your loaded tow vehicle, and the loaded trailer.

'Payload' - The payload is the difference between the GVWR and the empty but "wet" vehicle before you add driver, passengers, luggage, cargo, and hitch weight. [Wet means full of fuel and all other fluids needed to drive the vehicle).

- You are correct that in the instance of the NSX, since it has an 18.5 gallon fuel tank and it falls into the 2400-3200 range as a production vehicle- the difference between wet and dry is a significant percentage of the total vehicle weight. Depending on Octane and ambient temp, 1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs, edging towards the top end for the Premium pump fuel most use, or 112.85-115.625 per tank or so. For performance purposes, all measurements need to be as accurate as possible for calculations and setup, thus the race weight is what is most relevant. IN general, be weary of quoted weights, as it is often a source of inaccuracies in forum discussions.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I dont expect a huge savings, but I did expect the track pack car to come in lower than a PP car.

Less weight
-Larger brakes yes, but 2 piece rotors actually should shave a lot of weight
-More aluminum in the suspension - aluminum front knuckles
-Aluminum bumper beam-I added this since its explicitly called out on the GT350 window sticker, but not on the GT
-CF bumper support
-Composite intake manifold and oil pan
-it has been hinted the engine itself is lighter - Performance division chief engineer Kerry Baldori said the 5.2 “definitely has a weight advantage” over the 5.0.
-most likely has less sound deadening material than the GT - yes, that is confirmed and more so removed in the R
- hood and fenders are aluminum

More weight-
-Larger Calipers
-Tranny/diff/oil coolers/fluids for R and track pack cars
-magnetorheological dampers
-larger swaybars

Areas for non-R weight reduction
-single piece CF DS -savings of 28lbs for the R as well
-back seat
-lighter wheels
-remove exhaust resonators
-lighter mufflers
Added more details in bold:thumbsup:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
So now that we know the regular gt350 weights more than the gt, what's next? Is the 350 gonna lose to the 1 LE around the track, and have worse (or similar) 1/4 mile and 0-60 times than the GT too? Last to come out will be performance numbers. Is that a sign they will suck? Numbers better be damn good after this news.
:doh::doh::doh:

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
A regular GTPP weights around 3740 lbs, so if we just put a catback, carbon fiber wheels and remove the rear seats we are also down to 3650 lbs!

The 5.2lt weights more i m guessing, but it is really hard to believe that Ford tried so hard to took weight out of the gt350r.
They said the crank was lighter than the coyote crank I believe, the block was not very different, heads are new castings that are lighter, and the oil pan is composite material. So I don't know where you get that it's heavier than the Coyote.
Sponsored