Sponsored

GT350: Caveat Emptor

Huck FInn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2nd Engine
I vacillated between a 3rd GT convert or a GT350, and after waiting a long time for the 2020 ordering guide, decided to buy the GT350. Had I known any of the following, I would not have done it. First, Ford has apparently never yet got 5.2L flat plane crank engine failures under control. It is a great riddle why the number 7 cylinder drops intake valves into the cylinder, and many have experienced this specific failure, including my first engine failure at <2k miles. My second engine failed at 253 miles on the first trip, a secondary cam drive chain failure. Second, the cost of replacing the engine was just <$30k, but it was warranty. Would I buy a car with a history of uninduced fatal engine pukes and an engine replacement cost of ~$30K? No, I'm not in that league. And, for people that drive their cars, and I am one, the warranty is short, and then you're on your own. Third, after the first engine failure I put the car up for sale at an attractive price at multiple sites, even considering the $12k in extra parts that came with it. Dead silence. I dropped it $10k. Dead silence. If you buy a GT350, consider what will happen to your investment if you want, or need, to sell it. Fourth, when I bought in July 2019 demand exceeded supply and the only dealer I found who could sell me one was 500 miles distant. Today, unsold GT350s are littering dealership's lots. How will your used GT350 compete with unsold new GT350s? Fifth, perhaps I was lucky in that the second engine failed, and then after 2 months, Ford bought it back. What if Ford hadn't? What is the resale value of a GT350 that's on its 3rd engine at 2,500 miles? Finally, even though I got rid of the GT350 two days ago, I'm still stuck with wheels, tires and a cat-back exhaust system that will apparently continue to clutter up my garage and keep me from 'getting shut of it' for quite some time, at least until I get frustrated enough to throw them and then be done with it. Well, now I've done my duty and can put this in my wake.
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
So what are you going to replace it with?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm confused, how did you have an engine out of warranty that's only 1 year old?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Have you tried listing your wheels, tires, and catback on the classified section of this forum? People sell parts there regularly.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I'm confused, how did you have an engine out of warranty that's only 1 year old?
I also am confused why he would have that avatar and be on this forum since he’s trying to put this in his wake...

Me thinks this is a bashing opportunity, and someone is bitter... but some things just don’t add up.

Last edited:

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck on future endeavors. Sorry you had the luck of a leper when it came to your 350.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
While I sense your frustration and can understand your disappointment with the car, it is posts like this that fuel the internet fuel that all 350s will blow up. You are part of the 1% and that stinks, but to make a post like this painting all voodoo’s with such a broad brush is not only exaggerated, but simply false. I do find it interesting how people thing the gen 2 voodoo is immune from issues and here you are. The majority of these cars are mechanically sound, those are facts.

good luck with your next car.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Replaced my 2016 GT350 with 18k miles, 30+ track days, 2 seasons of autocross, and an engine that did not consume oil and ran perfectly from day one with a 2019 Corvette Grand Sport. Guess what, the Corvette engine had to be replaced under warranty after 1400 miles, #8 cylinder wrist pin went bad. This stuff happens and I get your frustration but not a week goes by that I don’t think about my GT350 and that glorious Voodoo engine.

Sponsored

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
You had a miserable experience and needed to vent. Understandable. I've read all of your previous posts and it sounds like you are very sensible and profess conservative break-in and driving habits. Sounds like Ford handled the situation honorably by replacing 2 engines and then buying the car back from you. Not much more needs to be said.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Yes he had a bad experience. I’ve got 17k miles on my replacement engine with no issues. I’ll soon be doing my longest trip with it from DC to the Northwoods of Mn and back, when my new rear tires arrive Oct 3. It uses maybe 1 quart of oil every 3.5K miles or so. It’s a 2019 engine.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
If we hear "cricket noise" from OP, there may be something fishy going on here, or he put the whole forum in his wake.

"OP" DISCLAIMER
Due to the recent forum update, the Original Poster (OP) is now referred to as the "Thread Starter" (TS).

"TS" DISCLAIMER

Apparently, "TS" refers to "Trans Sexual". I am NOT suggesting the Original Poster (OP) is a Trans Sexual (TS).
Sponsored

Last edited: