GT vs Tesla

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The level of performance is hard not to talk about. I do see within this decade we are going to have more crazy fast electric cars from different brands. Hopefully they will make a 2 door coupe electric sports car that is not 6 figures.
Well just think of the 2020's as the electric version of the 70's. The top dogs of the muscle car era could only do one thing well, go straight ahead, fast. No different than today's electrics. Except today's electrics can handle far better, are much more comfortable, and get better mileage.

And as far as speed.......well nothing less than a ICE hypercar can touch these.
  • 2022 GMC Hummer EV: 3.3 Seconds
  • 2022 BMW i4 M50: 3.3 Seconds
  • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance: 3.1 Seconds
  • 2022 Rivian R1T: 3.0 Seconds
  • 2022 Mercedes-AMG EQS: 3.0 Seconds
  • 2022 Audi RS e-tron GT: 2.9 Seconds
  • 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Performance: 2.6 Seconds
  • 2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo: 2.4 Seconds
  • 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid: 2.1 Seconds
https://www.caranddriver.com/featur... -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Well just think of the 2020's as the electric version of the 70's. The top dogs of the muscle car era could only do one thing well, go straight ahead, fast. No different than today's electrics. Except today's electrics can handle far better, are much more comfortable, and get better mileage.

And as far as speed.......well nothing less than a ICE hypercar can touch these.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g40971175/fastest-electric-cars/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=100422&utm_campaign=nl29247772&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers
This is why I am kind of having a hard time getting into the electric car scene. I paid low 40s for my brand new mustang GT which in my opinion looks better and is plenty fast for the streets.

If someone were able to make a electric version of my mustang somewhat same price range then maybe I would be more interested. The only electric car I think its actually pretty cool is the Audi/Porsche ones.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This is why I am kind of having a hard time getting into the electric car scene. I paid low 40s for my brand new mustang GT which in my opinion looks better and is plenty fast for the streets.

If someone were able to make a electric version of my mustang somewhat same price range then maybe I would be more interested. The only electric car I think its actually pretty cool is the Audi/Porsche ones.
Well of course they’re expensive. State of the art always is. Big block GM’s, Ford’s and Chryslers cost a pretty penny during the muscle car hay days. My friend had a Hemi Cuda that would be a $100k car in todays market.

By the way, look at what these cars are selling for today.

Davez17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
I have played with a few of the Tesla models. Some are quick. I messed with a model X getting on the freeway and he was all excited because he was hanging with me, until we hit 80, then the coyote started to open up cars lengths. By 125 I was well ahead. Sorry, electric is just not for me. I always make revs when passing an electric car or a darn Prius. Long live the V8's.

As for style, Porsche and Audi electric cars do look good. Those good looks come with w price tag I will not agree to.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Well of course they’re expensive. State of the art always is. Big block GM’s, Ford’s and Chryslers cost a pretty penny during the muscle car hay days. My friend had a Hemi Cuda that would be a $100k car in todays market.

By the way, look at what these cars are selling for today.
There is a sentiment among electric car buyers that people who buy gas/gas cars are stupid. I just wish they realize how ugly most Teslas look and that I only paid 40k for my mustang that they are trying to race.

Sponsored

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Infiniti Q60, Subaru BRZ
I have played with a few of the Tesla models. Some are quick. I messed with a model X getting on the freeway and he was all excited because he was hanging with me, until we hit 80, then the coyote started to open up cars lengths. By 125 I was well ahead. Sorry, electric is just not for me. I always make revs when passing an electric car or a darn Prius. Long live the V8's.

As for style, Porsche and Audi electric cars do look good. Those good looks come with w price tag I will not agree to.
This is exactly what happened, I was riding with my buddy in his whipple GT and this tesla wanted to play but once we hit 80 lol we were long gone. (Scared the hell outta me)
I'm with you 100% long live the V8s, not going to buy an EV just to be told not to charge it.
And these Teslas are costing as much as corvettes now

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
All of you are just talking about old, small batteries teslas… the current S model, not the plaid one will destroy you on acceleration and top speed without issues… you need to pack a good 700 whp to be able to keep up… plaid is good for low 9 seconds in 1/4 mile (after all the shit you have to do before) but from a light it will make high 9, low 10 and it’s capable of 200 mph… on a fucking sedan straight from the factory with ac, music and warranty

a model x plaid also moves like crazy… all those teslas “not being able to keep up at 80 mph” are probably some 2013-2015… cheap stuff…

if you happen to cross a plaid and they go wot next to you, it will be the biggest gap you’ll ever receive… you need awd traction + 900 whp to keep up… instant torque it’s nuts.

all that said, the only current mass production electric car that I’ll buy it will be the tycan… it’s just gorgeous. But I’ll have an ICE car for long trips and stuff because outside of the tesla network, charging other cars is just a nightmare

Davez17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
All of you are just talking about old, small batteries teslas… the current S model, not the plaid one will destroy you on acceleration and top speed without issues… you need to pack a good 700 whp to be able to keep up… plaid is good for low 9 seconds in 1/4 mile (after all the shit you have to do before) but from a light it will make high 9, low 10 and it’s capable of 200 mph… on a fucking sedan straight from the factory with ac, music and warranty

a model x plaid also moves like crazy… all those teslas “not being able to keep up at 80 mph” are probably some 2013-2015… cheap stuff…

if you happen to cross a plaid and they go wot next to you, it will be the biggest gap you’ll ever receive… you need awd traction + 900 whp to keep up… instant torque it’s nuts.

all that said, the only current mass production electric car that I’ll buy it will be the tycan… it’s just gorgeous. But I’ll have an ICE car for long trips and stuff because outside of the tesla network, charging other cars is just a nightmare
I totally get the what you are saying. Again it comes back to COST!! What does a newer model S cost? They START at $96,000 with incentives already taken into account (Actual list is $109,450). I would think that should get someone into a GT-500 if the dealer doesn't add too much to the sticker. In 2017, I paid $32k out the door for my GT. Now look at a similar tesla? Cost again comes into play. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Speed cost money.
Pricing
Original MSRP:

• 60: $69,200
  • 75: $70,700
  • 60D: $74,200
  • 75D: $75,700
  • 90D: $88,700
  • 100D: $95,200
  • P100D: $136,200
This was the pricing in 2017. A base model S 60 goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Has a top speed of 129 mph. And that one cost 2X what my GT cost.

I know that technology is screaming forward and cars keep getting faster and more powerful. I have driven a electric cars and they are just soul-less (to me). Fast, sure. I am a person that really truly enjoys driving a vehicle. It need to communicate to me. I enjoy pushing a vehicle to its limits from time to time. A Tesla is not in the same class as the Mustang. Too many doors. TOO heavy. I will stick with my ICE V8 and enjoy my driving.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I totally get the what you are saying. Again it comes back to COST!! What does a newer model S cost? They START at $96,000 with incentives already taken into account (Actual list is $109,450). I would think that should get someone into a GT-500 if the dealer doesn't add too much to the sticker. In 2017, I paid $32k out the door for my GT. Now look at a similar tesla? Cost again comes into play. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Speed cost money.
Pricing
Original MSRP:
  • 60: $69,200
  • 75: $70,700
  • 60D: $74,200
  • 75D: $75,700
  • 90D: $88,700
  • 100D: $95,200
  • P100D: $136,200
This was the pricing in 2017. A base model S 60 goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Has a top speed of 129 mph. And that one cost 2X what my GT cost.

I know that technology is screaming forward and cars keep getting faster and more powerful. I have driven a electric cars and they are just soul-less (to me). Fast, sure. I am a person that really truly enjoys driving a vehicle. It need to communicate to me. I enjoy pushing a vehicle to its limits from time to time. A Tesla is not in the same class as the Mustang. Too many doors. TOO heavy. I will stick with my ICE V8 and enjoy my driving.
Pricing really doesn't come into play here as I do not think there are too many folks cross shopping Mustang's and Tesla's. We are discussing straight line speed (as per OP) and when comparing current models of both cars there is no doubt that EV's are faster. Of course it is just one spec in a sea of them but that's what this thread is about.

By the way I do have to ask, what and what was the last EV that you drove? I'm an ICE man myself but there are a number of EV's (Porsche immediately comes to mind) that will communicate with you and are a ball to drive. Just too damn quiet! :giggle:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g40971175/fastest-electric-cars/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=100422&utm_campaign=nl29247772&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers

Hypercars? Please. The ZL1 is RWD only and does 0-60 in 3.4 sec (C&D). From a roll it will beat more than half that list. Heck, an A10 GT would beat several of those from a roll as well (if there's enough road and the EV doesn't get too much of a jump). There's plenty of non hypercar ICEs in the mid to upper 2 sec range, and the 911 Turbo S is 2.1-2.2 sec. The new Z06 does 0-60 in 2.6 sec (RWD but mid-engined, of course). Heck, a C7 Z06 is 3.0 sec and it's front engine/RWD. A GT-R is high 2s-3.1 ish, an Audi R8 is high 2s, Acura NSX is low 3s, 911 GT3 is high 2s-3.0. Carrera 4S is high 2s-3.0. The new BMW M4 Comp AWD is high 2s. If my ZL1 or a GT500 was AWD it would be well into the 2s as well.

The only reason those heavy EVs are that quick to 60 mph is because they are all AWD. The actual fast ones (Plaid, Dream, Taycan Turbo S) are very expensive, esp. the Dream and Taycan. I'll stick with my V8.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Totally different markets… mustang are cheap cars. No auto pilot, self parking and all the other dumb shit.

if acceleration and speed is your only requirement, buy an old civic, k swap, awd conversion, turbo and supporting mods and you have a really cheap monster…

remember how shitty and basic was the ipod touch or the first iphone… look at them now… i remember when phones started to incorporate cameras, now fking 4k 3d videos and shit… EV is fresh technology and it can only improve with time

i was looking at teslas a few months ago and ended buying a gtr lol… why? Because noise, looks and dinosaur juice is fun… even if it not that fast or more expensive than some evs or other ice cars

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

One evening I pulled up behind a black, dual-motor S at a stop sign at the end of a county road leading onto a local rural highway. He must have seen me pull up behind him, and when he saw it was clear he pulled out and got on it, with me in tow. No chance in hell of me catching him at WOT shifting at 7500. My car has a Roush intake, GT350 manifold, and is burning corn juice and that S made it look like an old mid-90s Civic.

I don't have a burning desire to own one, but I'd sure like to drive one. Especially a Plaid.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Hypercars? Please. The ZL1 is RWD only and does 0-60 in 3.4 sec (C&D). From a roll it will beat more than half that list. Heck, an A10 GT would beat several of those from a roll as well (if there's enough road and the EV doesn't get too much of a jump). There's plenty of non hypercar ICEs in the mid to upper 2 sec range, and the 911 Turbo S is 2.1-2.2 sec. The new Z06 does 0-60 in 2.6 sec (RWD but mid-engined, of course). Heck, a C7 Z06 is 3.0 sec and it's front engine/RWD. A GT-R is high 2s-3.1 ish, an Audi R8 is high 2s, Acura NSX is low 3s, 911 GT3 is high 2s-3.0. Carrera 4S is high 2s-3.0. The new BMW M4 Comp AWD is high 2s. If my ZL1 or a GT500 was AWD it would be well into the 2s as well.

The only reason those heavy EVs are that quick to 60 mph is because they are all AWD. The actual fast ones (Plaid, Dream, Taycan Turbo S) are very expensive, esp. the Dream and Taycan. I'll stick with my V8.
OK, OK, I meant "Supercars" & Hypercars. Yes the ZL1 and Z06 are America's supercars but they will still not beat a four door plaid. Based on the numbers a Hummer can beat a ZL1. Just saying that sounds insane. Now I will certainly give you the BMW M4 Comp AWD. That car is an animal. :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Phils15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There are plenty of fast cars around but have been unable to find any to mess around with in the Plaid. Heck, when I had my TT S550, there weren't many people around to mess around with. There is no replacing the sound of the twin turbos hauling ass in my old car - I do miss it. Crazy thing is the plaid is fast but for some reason, it doesn't feel as fast as I expected it to be. Its probably due to it being silent. Still wild when you floor it at 50 though.
Sponsored