GT and Mach 1 engine differences

awpe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2008 VW Touareg V10 TDI, Mustang Mach 1 MP N2488
Hi, recently I've ordered one Mach 1 (EU version) with aim to get small responsive turbos into it to get past 600hp without rebuilding whole engine, but later discovered this kit https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6066-M8, however it is explicitly stated that kit is not compatible with Bullitt and Mach 1 versions. I wonder why it is not compatible, and asking this because I own a car workshop and I'm able and willing to do some extra mods to the kit if required (warranty in EU will be lost anyways so...) but I don't won't to do full engine rebuild in case pistons/rods/heads are to be replaced.

So my question is do 2021 GT and Mach 1 engines are mechanically different or they just have different calibration in ECU?
Sponsored

OP
OP

awpe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I've read it, it states about different oil cooler, oil filter and intake manifold, so basically installing intake manifold from GT will make this kit compatible with Mach 1?
the SC replaces the manifold. And uses the same TB as the Mach/Bullitt so the "doesn't fit" can't be any physical item. If I had to guess there is something up with the ECU that the map has problems with. But even that smells suspicious.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
It might not have been through the CARB testing on Bullitt or MACH 1 yet?

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
It might not have been through the CARB testing on Bullitt or MACH 1 yet?
That sounds like the most reasonable answer

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
so basically installing intake manifold from GT will make this kit compatible with Mach 1?
Well considering a supercharger kit replaces the intake manifold and intake tube assembly, it would be kinda pointless.

There should be no reason that it won't fit the Bullitt and Mach1, they are the same cars and engines. All the differences in the engines you will be replacing anyway. I think the ECU tune is not yet calibrated for the Mach so that's why they say it wont' fit.

rcsracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP #1859
Could it be as simple as the OEM strut tower brace? Obviously that can be removed, but maybe that's the catch here.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be as simple as the OEM strut tower brace? Obviously that can be removed, but maybe that's the catch here.
Maybe. Do the performance pack cars use a different style brace ?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
No, the PP1 cars have the same brace, and it fits those cars. I think it's carb certification related. Ford is not going to spend millions to get certified, for what amounts to about 100 units sold for mach 1's

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No, the PP1 cars have the same brace, and it fits those cars. I think it's carb certification related. Ford is not going to spend millions to get certified, for what amounts to about 100 units sold for mach 1's
Then wouldn't Ford say 'not legal for use on MACH 1 / BULLITT' rather than not compatible ?

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Then wouldn't Ford say 'not legal for use on MACH 1 / BULLITT' rather than not compatible ?
They may be a little cautious with wording something that could put them on the hook legally if it could be argued they are complicit in people illegally modifying emissions of a car. And by putting the decision on the consumer and practically stating that could be argued as enabling it. You and I might not agree, but I bet the VW lawyers would tell you not to trust it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Good point. Even tho you, I, and the rest on this forum know the only real difference between a GT and bullitt/mach 1 engine is the intake manifold, throttle body, and tune, California doesn't see it that way. To them it is a different engine and therefor requires a new certification.

OP
OP

awpe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for info. Tried to figure it out myself with Google and it seems that most probably certification is the issue. Anyway my order was initially (Oct 2021) said to be put on production line at Feb 2022 and I received an update that it can be easily produced later into 2022. So I have enough time to prepare for ECU tweaking 🙃.
Sponsored