GoPro Settings

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I did a track day last year and was not completely happy with the GoPro 8 settings: in particular the stabilization was on and the field of view would move around in response to the G forces, not always centered on the view through the windshield.

The exposure (with spot metering) was good and the 1080/60 was ok. Does anyone have any favorite settings for in-car video?
Sponsored

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I use a GoPro Hero8 and shoot with an in-car POV with the camera at near eye level and distance to the dash. I use the "Motor" preset. The HyperSmooth setting is On, and that's what makes the frame move sideways. If you don't want the windshield to move in the picture disable HyperSmooth. Setting it to "On" is the lowest effect while maintaining some smoothing (it has "High" and "Boost" also).
Low Light is Off, ISO Min is at 100 and ISO Max is at 1600. If you want to brighten up the interior you can fiddle with those.
White Balance is Auto, Sharpness is High and Color is "GoPro Color". I think all of those are default settings for the Motorsports preset except maybe the HyperSmooth.

I also use an external polarized filter to reduce some of the reflection of the dash on the windshield and it makes the sky bluer.

This is what it yields (with Solostorm/Racecapture data overlay):

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Thanks for the reply and information! I was ok with the frame moving side to side but on the high banks of Daytona the frame also moved up and down to the point of not much view through the windshield. ;)
I plan to try your settings but with hypersmooth off, hope it works!
Sponsored