GoPro Mount for Track Day

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Nice thread, learning a lot for options with my Gopro when I finally get my 2020 GT PP vert. I want to try out doing track days or HPDE events. Noob question how do you get video with your speed on it or with the rev's and speed? is that a app?
Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Harrys lap timer or Track Addict apps.
Overlay GoPro video and sync with the data for that effect.

seabee133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush RS3 Twister Orange
BTW love your Roush in Twister Orange. I'm finally getting my GT in TO in about 2 weeks.
Thanks! Yea its a great color.. And being a Miami Hurricanes fan, this is perfect for me lol..

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Harrys lap timer or Track Addict apps.
Overlay GoPro video and sync with the data for that effect.
Thanks for the help. While I'm getting a convertible I've already seen how you can set one up for HPDE events. I'll take some time getting prepped for my first times but hoping to get out to some in last Spring to Summer next year. and why do people have tow hooks installed?

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the help. While I'm getting a convertible I've already seen how you can set one up for HPDE events. I'll take some time getting prepped for my first times but hoping to get out to some in last Spring to Summer next year. and why do people have tow hooks installed?
Most if not all track organizers require front and rear tow hooks. If you need a tow, they want to be able to pull you off track as quickly as possible so it doesn't impact other peoples' track time.

You should want them to give the tow driver a designated attachment point on your car so they don't break other items like suspension parts or your bumper

Sponsored

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Most if not all track organizers require front and rear tow hooks. If you need a tow, they want to be able to pull you off track as quickly as possible so it doesn't impact other peoples' track time.

You should want them to give the tow driver a designated attachment point on your car so they don't break other items like suspension parts or your bumper
Ahh, get it. I gather from spending time on this forum there's plenty of preferred places you can purchase/install or have these tow hooks installed? It's be nice to be able to remove the hooks or uninstall easily. Looks you know.

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ahh, get it. I gather from spending time on this forum there's plenty of preferred places you can purchase/install or have these tow hooks installed? It's be nice to be able to remove the hooks or uninstall easily. Looks you know.
Track Night in America is mainly for street cars and does not require tow hooks.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Vorshlag, ZL1Addons, Raceseng, ect. All solid products. Most if not all mount to the crash bar behind the plastic bumper. Some are permanent, some are removeable like you mentioned.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
Vorshlag, ZL1Addons, Raceseng, ect. All solid products. Most if not all mount to the crash bar behind the plastic bumper. Some are permanent, some are removeable like you mentioned.
Cool, thanks. Someone mentioned Track Night in America done by SCCA. That sounds like fun. I'd like to also do some HPDE events at tracks in the Midwest too.

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I went with the Amazon one as it was cheap and appeared to be what I was looking for. I have only tried it out once but I think it’ll work. Distorts my head a little bit but I have been told that I have a face for radio anyway, so that’s not the point.

1701966427763.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For those that run a reverse camera, this might make for an interesting view / second location :

Started yet another mini project ...

Paper template good to go :

1681681890070.jpeg

Stainless :

1683065115541.jpeg

Stainless dressed up, tapped the locking plates, added stainless rivnuts and got it mostly assembled :

1683358939668.jpeg

The bracket is adjustable to counteract the GoPro lens offset from 10mm to 20mm. This covers the full GoPro range past and present, it’s currently set at 14mm which suits my old school Hero 2’s … lol

1683359077220.jpeg

If it’s not red (aluminium) or black (plastic) it’s stainless steel, including all the bolts, rivnuts and spacers :

1683359178276.jpeg

My GoPro is proper retro :giggle: :

1684590193904.jpeg

Mounting location (no good for a Mach or Shelby) :

1684590260151.jpeg

Front locking plate :

1684590301779.jpeg

Rear :

1684590346758.jpeg

Mounting assembly order :

1684590382502.jpeg

Done :

1684590440956.jpeg

1684590489591.jpeg

A few sample videos - I'm still messing around finding the best setting for under car use.

M4 Spoilt my fun :

1st, 2nd & 3rd :

I was a little concerned about the strength of the plastic tray I had chosen for the mounting, but it seemed really secure (the camera has already taken a hit from an overly large speedhump), then I recently came across this photo on another thread which shows why those mounts are there (ignore the blue circle, it's where needs trimming to fit a tow hook) :

IMG_9487.JPG

If they can take the stress of an oil cooler and pipework on a Mach or Shelby, I think the GoPro will be just fine :like:

WD :like:
WD :like:

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I went with the Amazon one as it was cheap and appeared to be what I was looking for. I have only tried it out once but I think it’ll work. Distorts my head a little bit but I have been told that I have a face for radio anyway, so that’s not the point.

1701966427763.jpeg

I am using a similar location, but I've got one of these mounts and I clamp it to the passenger headrest rod https://www.amazon.com/ULANZI-Monitor-Ballhead-Adapter-Ronin-M/dp/B09C882D4M/

Gives a similar angle view of the driver seat with maybe less head distortion, and I don't like the idea of metal pole sticks near my (or passenger) neck, when on track :fingerscrossed:

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I appreciate both your radio face and you turning up Thunderstruck for us.
Sponsored