Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I think my glove box light isn't turning off
Can anyone tell me where the Off swit ch is on the glove box or on lid.i can't see anything I can press to see if it's working
Sorry for the stupid question but i just can't see what turns it off..thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone tell me where the Off swit ch is on the glove box or on lid.i can't see anything I can press to see if it's working
Oops meant console light not glove box
Sorry

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Curious why you think it's not turning off?
As for the switch it's probably either in the latch or the hinge.
If you have a borescope you could slip it in the notch for a wire to pass out from under the lid to verify off/on.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I put my smartphone video in and closed cover.light stayed on.i pryed off light cover and its a led mounted to circuit board
2 wires going to it for power.i never use the console where I would need light so rather than bringing it to dealer and spend 200 bucks to fix it.im thinking of just cutting the wires.any thought if thats a bad idea.would cutting te wires cause a trouble light forever.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'd be willing to bet the light goes off after the car goes to sleep a few minutes after it's locked up. Probably goes on and off with the interior lights.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I'd be willing to bet the light goes off after the car goes to sleep a few minutes after it's locked up. Probably goes on and off with the interior lights.
Good input I'll open it and wait it out for a few minutes.hope it does go out by itself

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I've recently had trouble with my trunk lights and discovered that the console light is on the same BCM circuit as the trunk, glove box and overhead lights. The trunk light has a timer and only stays on for so long, maybe 15 minutes, I don't remember exactly. Anyway, that's a good thought to see if the console light is the same.
As for cutting the wire, if it's like the trunk light there is a 2 wire plug on the back of the light "unit". It's probably more trouble but I'd think unplugging is preferable to cutting wires.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I've recently had trouble with my trunk lights and discovered that the console light is on the same BCM circuit as the trunk, glove box and overhead lights. The trunk light has a timer and only stays on for so long, maybe 15 minutes, I don't remember exactly. Anyway, that's a good thought to see if the console light is the same.
As for cutting the wire, if it's like the trunk light there is a 2 wire plug on the back of the light "unit". It's probably more trouble but I'd think unplugging is preferable to cutting wires.
Ot didn't go out by itself.so your saying the led is just plugged into the wires and all I need to do is pull them apart.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I've never had the console apart so I can't say for certain.
I have had the trunk light out. It's a plastic unit with the lens an LED on a circuit board all in a plastic housing that a two wire plug plugs into.
I can't imagine that Ford integrated the console light into the wiring harness. Somewhere close to the light assembly there will be a plug/connector.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Just went and looked at my console.
Between the hinges there's a square panel that pops off. There is a small, probably 2 conductor, harness attached to the back of that panel. That small harness runs up the inside of the drivers side hinge into the console top. The other end runs down into the back of the console and I believe to the light. My feeling is the wire that runs into the lid goes to the switch for the light. At that point I stopped disassembly.
I do believe you can remove the inside/bottom of the lid yo access the switch or continue removing pieces of the rear of the console to access the back of the light.
I'd also assume that, if wire cutting is your chosen method, you could cut a wire of that small harness. If that's what I were to try I'd probably peel back the harness covering and just cut 1 wire.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Just went and looked at my console.
Between the hinges there's a square panel that pops off. There is a small, probably 2 conductor, harness attached to the back of that panel. That small harness runs up the inside of the drivers side hinge into the console top. The other end runs down into the back of the console and I believe to the light. My feeling is the wire that runs into the lid goes to the switch for the light. At that point I stopped disassembly.
I do believe you can remove the inside/bottom of the lid yo access the switch or continue removing pieces of the rear of the console to access the back of the light.
I'd also assume that, if wire cutting is your chosen method, you could cut a wire of that small harness. If that's what I were to try I'd probably peel back the harness covering and just cut 1 wire.
Thanks so much for all the work.im. not talented enough to do what you easily did
I figure how much power can a console led use ill just watch my battery and charge it when it gets low.the Alternator generally runs around 14v.it takes about a month to drop to 13.5

Then i charge it to 14.2 in about 20 minutes. Have a very powerful charger
I'll probably just bring it in to Ford though eventually.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
To maybe help put your mind at rest you can see in the above wiring diagram the console light is on the same circuit as the glove box and interior lights. If your glove box and interior lights are going off you can be assured the console light is as well.
You can probably prove it by leaving the phone recording in the console, shut the doors and wait until all the lights time out. It might take as long as 30 minutes.
Still, you're right, even if it stays on the current draw is pretty low.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Check this thread; another M6G user found that his console light was staying on with the lid shut. He has pics of how to take apart the rear section of the console which exposes the switch. This may be the same switch (or location of a security switch) for the security package.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/center-console-armrest-light-twisted-seatbelt.173334/

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Here's the wiring diagram for the circuit.

Screenshot_20230530_185744_OneDrive.jpg
In lo
Here's the wiring diagram for the circuit.

Screenshot_20230530_185744_OneDrive.jpg
In looking g at the circuit looks like it feeds the interior lights.so if I disconnect it may affect interior lights which looks like it gets power thru the console connection
Si I won't cut or disconnect anything and just live with it.i mean how much power can a tiny led use.ill eventually have Ford fix it.in the meantime I'll just charge battery when it gets down to 13.5v and bring it back up to 14.thanks for all the info..bob
Sponsored