Glove box misaligned, light always on!

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
First time noted today after a year of owning 2019 mustang. Glovebox is misaligned and the light inside stays on. If I press the glovebox with force then the light shuts off. I believe the tab on the glovebox is not pressing the off switch. Anyway to adjust the glovebox or have to take it to a dealer:(
PHOTO_20200713_171135.jpg
PHOTO_20200713_171207.jpg
PHOTO_20200713_171214.jpg
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does it look like it's not closing properly? I replaced the incandescent bulb with an LED, and it didn't go as planned. I pushed the LED bulb too far, so it lost contact (shouldn't happen), and no way I could pull it back without removing the housing... which I did. But it was a royal PITA to remove. And 10 times worse to get it back in. And the reason why is that stupid housing refused to snap in place solidly, and I was having exactly the same issue you're having. The light didn't turn off. And when I finally was able to make it snap, the light BARELY turns off, so we're talking probably 1mm to play with. If your switch is solidly snapped, then check that the hinge bolts at the bottom are not loose. And if they're tight, then check the 2 latches on each side, and see why they're not latching. I'd NOT take it to a dealer for that, at least not before trying myself to close it properly, but that's your call :). Good luck.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Does it look like it's not closing properly? I replaced the incandescent bulb with an LED, and it didn't go as planned. I pushed the LED bulb too far, so it lost contact (shouldn't happen), and no way I could pull it back without removing the housing... which I did. But it was a royal PITA to remove. And 10 times worse to get it back in. And the reason why is that stupid housing refused to snap in place solidly, and I was having exactly the same issue you're having. The light didn't turn off. And when I finally was able to make it snap, the light BARELY turns off, so we're talking probably 1mm to play with. If your switch is solidly snapped, then check that the hinge bolts at the bottom are not loose. And if they're tight, then check the 2 latches on each side, and see why they're not latching. I'd NOT take it to a dealer for that, at least not before trying myself to close it properly, but that's your call :). Good luck.
I can't seem to find anything loose. The bottom hinge seems to be good. I'm not sure if it is the glove box itself is not made well. The glovebox closes though with out any rattles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I can't seem to find anything loose. The bottom hinge seems to be good. I'm not sure if it is the glove box itself is not made well. The glovebox closes though with out any rattles.
It may just be a bad switch. Hello dealer, here I come.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
It may just be a bad switch. Hello dealer, here I come.
I checked the switch, when I manually press it, it turns off the light..I hate going to the dealer during the covid season. I have become a germophobe lol.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If the glovebox lid closes fine, and doesn't look obviously out of alignment, it's probably correctly installed, and correctly operating. It's that damn switch. So did you open the glovebox, and reached behind the light housing, and it feels well mounted? If yes, try this: Can you unscrew the black part that touches the glovebox lid??? I'm thinking maybe they have adjustment, like the clutch switch has. If not, what I'd do is just find something you can install over the black 'stud', to create a millimeter or two more distance, and your issue would be solved. Let me see if I can think of something that would look factory, but no way I'd take it to a dealer just for that, since there's really nothing wrong with it. It's just that the switch is crap; it barely engages, so any little difference from assembly, like yours, was enough to throw it out of reach. Let me know if you thought of something. A dealer would end up doing exactly what we're thinking of doing, after replacing everything... and probably scratching/scuffing/etc your car in the process. Just not worth it, brother. Good luck.

EDIT: Do you have a carburetor/vacuum cap? That might work. In fact, I'm going to look for something too, since I don't like mine is barely engaging the switch. I want the switch pushed a lot more than now. One of those caps would be perfect. I have some at home, but will be back until Friday.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
If the glovebox lid closes fine, and doesn't look obviously out of alignment, it's probably correctly installed, and correctly operating. It's that damn switch. So did you open the glovebox, and reached behind the light housing, and it feels well mounted? If yes, try this: Can you unscrew the black part that touches the glovebox lid??? I'm thinking maybe they have adjustment, like the clutch switch has. If not, what I'd do is just find something you can install over the black 'stud', to create a millimeter or two more distance, and your issue would be solved. Let me see if I can think of something that would look factory, but no way I'd take it to a dealer just for that, since there's really nothing wrong with it. It's just that the switch is crap; it barely engages, so any little difference from assembly, like yours, was enough to throw it out of reach. Let me know if you thought of something. A dealer would end up doing exactly what we're thinking of doing, after replacing everything... and probably scratching/scuffing/etc your car in the process. Just not worth it, brother. Good luck.

EDIT: Do you have a carburetor/vacuum cap? That might work. In fact, I'm going to look for something too, since I don't like mine is barely engaging the switch. I want the switch pushed a lot more than now. One of those caps would be perfect. I have some at home, but will be back until Friday.
I was thinking the same. Look at the pictures I attached, do you think it looks okay when closed. I think there is some misalignment for sure but nothing that looks odd. What black part did you want me to see if I can unscrew? Is it where the stud is?

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Try one of those self adessive rubber pads, the type that sticks under a laptop to stop it sliding about .Stick it on the inside of the glovebox so it pushes the switch in a little further when closed !

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
I had a felt pad that I placed on the black stud and now the light is turning off. When covid is over I will take it to a dealer to see if they have a better solution.
PHOTO_20200714_023339.jpg

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What black part did you want me to see if I can unscrew?
The black stud on the switch that you have to depress to turn the light off. Sometimes it can be adjusted. Maybe not, but worth a try :). If not, what you did achieves the same purpose, although in a less elegant manner. Ha ha.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
The black stud on the switch that you have to depress to turn the light off. Sometimes it can be adjusted. Maybe not, but worth a try :). If not, what you did achieves the same purpose, although in a less elegant manner. Ha ha.
Yeah definitely not eligant. Its a brand new car should need felt pads. I will have to take it to the dealer eventually. I don't want them to scratch things up though.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
If a felt pad would do it, so would something else. I'd have been tempted to work on the switch's plunger. Add a little epoxy or... Drill a tiny hole in it and twist in a tiny brass screw. Adjustable and shiny, and like many useful mods, very satisfying even though ordinarily invisible.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
If a felt pad would do it, so would something else. I'd have been tempted to work on the switch's plunger. Add a little epoxy or... Drill a tiny hole in it and twist in a tiny brass screw. Adjustable and shiny, and like many useful mods, very satisfying even though ordinarily invisible.
100% agree. My first thought was one of those clear rubber dots that are on the inside of cabinet doors stuck on the end of the switch plunger. It would solve the light and you'd never see it.
Of course the simple fact that I have to do that would rankle.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The black stud on the switch that you have to depress to turn the light off. Sometimes it can be adjusted. Maybe not, but worth a try
JC is right. If the glovebox door closes properly there is nothing to do there. It the location of the switch which appears to be off by a mm or two. It may or not be adjustable but it’s your best option before bringing it back to your dealer.
Sponsored