Sponsored

Center console armrest light & twisted seatbelt

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT California Special
Hey y’all!

Guess I got so much time now playing around my car having this insanely gas prices but anyhow, I have this gorgeous ‘16 Mustang GT/CS and I found out that the light inside the center console compartment is on all the time which makes no sense!

So I went back seat and took the back plastic trim off
IMG_1035.JPG

and I found out that there is actually a switch!
IMG_1036.JPG

like a press switch that gets punched when you close the armrest. The switch works like a charm when I press it but, it won’t when I close the armrest. I did however found this little guy

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

and I believe it has something to do with getting that switch pushed in all the way when closing the armrest but couldn’t figure out how to place it as I tried every position possible “this what she said” and still, it did not help to let the light goes off when closing the armrest.

Anyone care to share a solution for this issue, or snap a picture of how this small metal positioned.

Also does any of y’all have a solution for the twisted driver side seatbelt?
Sponsored

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting I really want to check mine out!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How were you able to tell that the light was on with the lid closed?

Also, this may be the culprit for many of the posted "ghost" battery drain issues, where batteries are dying prematurely and people can't find the source of the drain.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In looking at your images - look at the pic of the switch, at the rear of it I can see indentations on the side of it that wouid March the curved area of the small silver metal cover. Look at your metal piece - see the end with the curves? It wouid appear that end fits over the end of the switch facing out - where the curved indentation on the stitch meet the curved area of the silver metal cover.

That silver metal piece must get mounted to the switch assembly via a pin or hinge and it sits over top of the switch "pin" (curved end faces down). When the console is opened, that metal cover swivels upward off the pin to activate the light. When the hinge is closed, that black metal extension of the console lid presses down on the silver metal cover over the switch pin, turning off the light.

It's similar design to a rocker switch - once the metal springs off the switch pin, it either activates or deactivates power to the switch based on how it's wired.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
Also does any of y’all have a solution for the twisted driver side seatbelt?
When I installed seat belt shoulder pad covers, I found that twisting had stopped.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pucklord

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also, this may be the culprit for many of the posted "ghost" battery drain issues, where batteries are dying prematurely and people can't find the source of the drain.
I can see the light still on as I took the back trim cover out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pucklord

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In looking at your images - look at the pic of the switch, at the rear of it I can see indentations on the side of it that wouid March the curved area of the small silver metal cover. Look at your metal piece - see the end with the curves? It wouid appear that end fits over the end of the switch facing out - where the curved indentation on the stitch meet the curved area of the silver metal cover.

That silver metal piece must get mounted to the switch assembly via a pin or hinge and it sits over top of the switch "pin" (curved end faces down). When the console is opened, that metal cover swivels upward off the pin to activate the light. When the hinge is closed, that black metal extension of the console lid presses down on the silver metal cover over the switch pin, turning off the light.

It's similar design to a rocker switch - once the metal springs off the switch pin, it either activates or deactivates power to the switch based on how it's wired.
Trust me I tried everything and which made it worse is that dang metal almost broke the light switch. The switch is surrounded with a thin transparent plastic (stupid ford)

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
I had the twisted driver seatbelt also. What i did was twist it at the top pillar base. I twisted it in half the direction i wanted it to be then ran it through until it flattened out. I wish i could make a video to show what i mean. I hope what i wrote makes some kind of sense..lol

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

LMAO thought the same, but seeing the switch answered that.

This is similar to what things should look like.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 3.48.48 PM.png

The actuator you found would attach to the switch, one assembly.

Most likely a very simple repair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pucklord

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to tell ya that I figure out how to solve this dang problem. I went with a different method. I just took out the whole switch clips (there is only two hold in it) out and I placed some tapes, a very small tapes came with a table I bought from IKEA lol and it solve it!!! The light is off now when I close the armrest and trust me I did tons of tests to it to make sure. I even I put my phone inside the armrest and recorded it to make sure the light goes off lol 😂 see the pictures hope to get an idea. Btw make sure to push the wires into the black clips.
1647978493368.png

Here’s a picture of them two clips

1647978571301.png

Here are the final result! You can see the switch is getting pressed finally when the armrest is closed and the light will go on immediately after you open the armrest

1647978715790.png

and I put that useless sucker (metal clip) in there just in case I’ll need it on the future ..hope that will help . Also look at the black wire and how it is placed on that black clip.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pucklord

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LMAO thought the same, but seeing the switch answered that.

This is similar to what things should look like.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 3.48.48 PM.png

The actuator you found would attach to the switch, one assembly.

Most likely a very simple repair.
That make soooo sense now but I’ll leave it for now as I fixed it on my own way lol 😆

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pucklord

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the twisted driver seatbelt also. What i did was twist it at the top pillar base. I twisted it in half the direction i wanted it to be then ran it through until it flattened out. I wish i could make a video to show what i mean. I hope what i wrote makes some kind of sense..lol
I did the same as well! look at the picture it is fixed somehow but still, each time, I’ll have to reach the seatbelt from way behind! It’s totally a pin of the *** but hey, It is what it is. I guess I’ll go with this shoulder pad but found something way better I might go with as well but it’s little pricey.. see the last picture.

1647979267207.png

1647979372557.png

1647994869174.png

Last edited:

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase