Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Just poured my garage floor today. It is going to be a place to work on cars, bikes and metal. It has a slick finish. Was thinking of either doing epoxy or a densifier/sealer. The sealer is cheaper and seems like it will hold up to the rigors of metalworking and welding better but may still stain from chemicals. Honestly, I did nothing on my last garage floor with a slick finish and it was barely stained after 20 years. What are your experiences? Enable?
You already have your answer stick with it. !!!!!

My .02 slick natural is absolutely the way to go for a working garage. My garage is exactly the way you describe, metal work and builds. I got talked into a clear coat, long story short.

You spill lacquer thinner, gas, and mineral spirits it gets sticky.

So you end up wiping the coat off the surface, in short, it's a PIA wiping up spills

IMG_1028.jpeg

Being its the Mustang forum including a Mustang shot.
IMG_0885.jpeg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You already have your answer stick with it. !!!!!

My .02 slick natural is absolutely the way to go for a working garage. My garage is exactly the way you describe, metal work and builds. I got talked into a clear coat, long story short.

You spill lacquer thinner, gas, and mineral spirits it gets sticky.

So you end up wiping the coat off the surface, in short, it's a PIA wiping up spills

IMG_1028.jpeg

Being its the Mustang forum including a Mustang shot.
IMG_0885.jpeg
Oh c'mon now - tease us with those 30's hotrod coupe shots and no info? What's the story on them, your builds? :)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh c'mon now - tease us with those 30's hotrod coupe shots and no info? What's the story on them, your builds? :)
34 bought running, was not in the same condition as seen. Then decided I wanted to build one, for my wife, here is what I started with.

DSCN0012_1.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0002_1.JPG

fired 09 headers & side pipes raw

moms truck4.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
34 bought running, was not in the same condition as seen. Then decided I wanted to build one, for my wife, here is what I started with.

DSCN0012_1.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0002_1.JPG

fired 09 headers & side pipes raw

moms truck4.jpg
Very cool!

I've been looking at 1935/36 Ford pickups - not very easy to find in fair shape. Most are just a rotted chassis or bare bones shells. Those that have been restored but to a restomod condition, are pushing $50k-$70k, depending on what's been done to them.

Are you a member over on HAMB?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool!

I've been looking at 1935/36 Ford pickups - not very easy to find in fair shape. Most are just a rotted chassis or bare bones shells. Those that have been restored but to a restomod condition, are pushing $50k-$70k, depending on what's been done to them.

Are you a member over on HAMB?
LOL that's actually more than I ended up with, HAMB.

I am not, too closed-minded, and lacks a sense of humor for my taste.

Talk about rotted chassis or bare-bones shells .....:cwl:

DSCN0014.JPG

This is a shot of the firewall doner

DSCN0035.JPG

doors, dash, and tailgate complete with bullet holes

DSCN0037.JPG

You're seeing 4 doors, L one rotted lower half and the other R with the upper half rotted. Also got a frame, Ford 9, and a drilled & dropped front axle. The bed, and parts seen in the previous post and here cost 5k.

I will tell and have told folks wanting to go down this road from my experience.
Buy a running hotrod/truck, that way you have all the parts to start with.

When looking make sure you will have the tools & knowledge to fix and modify what you are looking at.

Why the big reason is that you can have a HotRod to drive, the reason for owning.

I don't regret literally scratch building the the truck. Cause I had the 34 to drive .

Checkbook HotRod builds, cost, and the middleman the shop/ builder has its own problems to boot.

Some insight to know.

Sponsored

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I've got a polyaspartic floor and it's fantastic. Everything comes up easily. No staining, none of it has pulled up. Beautiful and hard as nails. Flecks in it and a little ground quartz so it isn't slippery when it is wet.

Mach 1 ceramiced.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've got the epoxy coating in my garage. I don't have any problems with chipping or peeling, even with hot sticky tires. When I was in FL we installed the race tiles it looked fantastic. When I drove the Vette into the garage the tires would pick up the tiles. I quickly learned to wait an hour before putting her in the garage.

If you are worried about the epoxy being slick just lightly toss some sand on it when still wet.

Like a quality paint job prep is everything.,

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I have a working garage and personally didnt like my epoxy coated floor. It peeled , cracked and chipped after just two years. It got so spotty that I just decided to remove it and replaced it with just some concrete floor paint. Added some flakes and when it gets damaged by life I just repaint the damaged area and its good to go. the 1st photo is my epoxy floor after several hundred dollars and two years of use. The 2nd photo is the floor coated with $35 worth of concrete paint and $10 worth of flakes and it is now about 3 years old. It is due for a touch up around the garage door.
Screenshot_20211115-084519_Instagram.jpg
20221226_160546.jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What concrete paint did you use? And when you touch up, does it blend well with the existing old paint or does it look blotchy?

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I will take a photo of it tonight when I get home. I get both the paint and flakes from home depot. When I touch it up you can see the touched up area because it fresh paint is cleaner then the older worn paint. However after a few weeks you can't tell anymore. I should also note thelat dirt will stick to the floor more with this method then it does with the epoxy . But when the floor gets wet you are less likely to slip and fall on your backside with this method

Sponsored

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
Call me old fashioned but the ultimate garage floor is bare concrete , Sure it might not look great on instagram but thats is the ONLY downside . Mind you i actually do work in mine like welding , fabrication , mechanical repairs , painting etc . Concrete doesnt catch on fire , its hard as granite and super easy to clean , what more could you want .. I do have a rubber mat to stand on at my workbench for a bit of comfort underfoot , thats my only concession . I am more about function over form as you can tell .

" If only we cound find a garage floor material as durable as ' Concrete " :giggle:

IMG20230318130304.jpg

Last edited:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Call me old fashioned but the ultimate garage floor is bare concrete , Sure it might not look great on instagram but thats is the ONLY downside . Mind you i actually do work in mine like welding , fabrication , mechanical repairs , painting etc . Concrete doesnt catch on fire , its hard as granite and super easy to clean , what more could you want .. I do have a rubber mat to stand on at my workbench for a bit of comfort underfoot , thats my only concession . I am more about function over form as you can tell .

" If only we cound find a garage floor material as durable as ' Concrete " :giggle:

IMG20230318130304.jpg
I inherited a painted concrete floor in my garage. I would absolutely prefer completely bare concreate floor than the mess of peeling paint pictured below.

IMG-8123.jpg

IMG-0113.jpg

IMG-0111.jpg

In my case, I covered it all up with Swisstrax. They are not for everyone, and I wouldn't be comfortable doing metal work on them, but for my situation they work well.

IMG_0133.jpg

Very Instagram worthy, and I love that, but they do have practical benefits as detailer. They allow dust and debris to fall below the standing surface, in turn keeping the area cleaner to work on. They also let water fall through, making the standing surface safer and less messy. I have also found that any debris that blows into the garage tends to get caught within the first few rows of tiles, again keeping the floor cleaner for longer. I then vacuum the floor once every week or two.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
After a few years of having my plastic tiles Iā€™ve found that my tires (SC2ā€™s) drag in little pebbles and leave little pock marks. Over time there are tons of these.

There are also stains where the tires sit.

Iā€™m not as proactive with cleaning the tiles as I used to be. It still looks good but people with larger OCD problems than myself may have an issue.šŸ˜†

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
After a few years of having my plastic tiles Iā€™ve found that my tires (SC2ā€™s) drag in little pebbles and leave little pock marks. Over time there are tons of these.

There are also stains where the tires sit.

Iā€™m not as proactive with cleaning the tiles as I used to be. It still looks good but people with larger OCD problems than myself may have an issue.šŸ˜†
How do plastic tiles hold up to floor jacks and jack stands. Lots of lbs per square foot with front jack wheels and jackstand legs.
Sponsored