Sponsored

Garage Floor Surfaces

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have used floor jacks (1 is all steel and my other is all aluminum) and steel jack stands.

When I work on any vehicles in my garage, I just place a piece of 3/4" plywood under the jacks and floor jack to avoid any damages to the tiles. I have changed brakes (brake rotors, pads, calipers, etc), rotated tires, oil changes etc - by doing what I mentioned, never damaged the tiles. I've also dropped numerous things in the tiles, such as my airgun/ratchets with no damage to tile.

I have also used Rhino Ramps directly on the tile surface - just wedge front of ramp under tires, drive up slow - no issue. No damages to tiles even after using ramps.

I have also read where others have taken their jack stands and have had local shops weld a flat piece of steel or aluminum to the jack base. By doing so, you create more surface area and a flat area so when the jack stand is on the tiles, there's no one separate pressure point, but a more even pressure point.

Also - take a look at this thread, Post reply #16 with photos of the owner jacking up his vehicle on a tiled floor:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14818
You guys may want to ask him to join this thread for further experiences from him and his flooring too.

Hit up www.garagejournal.com - tons of folks on there in the sub-forum called "flooring" that have installed Race Deck (or similar tiles) and do lots of work in their garages too.

My Cobra sits in the tiles for long periods of time as well - no indentations have occurred due to prolonged storage from the weight of the vehicle.

Think of it this way too - what is your ratio of actually working on your vehicles in the garage vs. how often you're just parking the car in there or having a nice "man cave"?
Sponsored

Last edited:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Epoxy CAN work but you basically need virgin concrete and THEN do all the (acid) etching and cleaning, etc.., I ruined and had to strip a floor after finding out their "cleaner", doesn't cut shit.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I have been looking into this recently as well. The tile flooring seems way to expensive to me for what you get. It looks great, and I know they are strong, but dropping $2,000 on a floor... No. I am leaning towards UCoatIt. Seems like a killer product. They have a nice selection of chips and/or sand to throw in for grip. Supposedly, that is the product used in Jay Leno's garage.

I'd like to get creative with it and design an edge around the garage, and a tiled looking area where the cars park and my mini work space. It's a 2 3/4 car garage.

I am searching the net like crazy for paintable floor graphics. The type of graphic to lay down on the floor and apply a clear coat over to make it look painted in. I am not being to original, looking for Ford related graphics. But, it may be cool to have large Ford and Mustang graphics, and put vendor logo's in some how that looks good. Vendor's that either I have or are planned for my cars and sentimental ones. I.e. The red oval STP logo from the 70's. Formula 1, or Indycar.... Very personalized to me, resale might be limited, but screw it, I have cancer and want what I want. Is that wrong?

Ideas on where to pick up those paintable graphics would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Any issues with using jack stands on these tiles?
The race deck tiles can handle weight, no problem. I have seen lifts mounted on top of them. Not around. The race deck site, says this:

RaceDeck is a full suspension garage floor that is engineered to handle extreme loads while also allowing air and moisture to flow freely underneath, preventing odor causing mold and mildew. Our patented substructure will handle vehicle rolling loads in excess of 80,000 pounds without any damage to the floor. Whether you have heavy tool chests, 4-post lifts, or just your prized ride, RaceDeck will handle it all.

TXSean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GG GT
I recently did my garage with gladiator floor tiles, similar to race deck, and I love it. I did epoxy coating at my last house and it held up great for a couple of years, but it just always looked dirty after that due to small scratches and such.

My neighbor decided he wasn't going to use the tiles after his in laws gave them to him. They had used it for a while but only to park on so I had to clean it. I ended up needing a couple of extra edge pieces for the front, so all in all it cost me $13 to do my garage.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Love my garage mats, they are awesome.

picture.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
BLT G-Floor Ribbed Garage Mat, 7.6' x 17' for $186 at Amazon (they come in different patterns, sizes and colors)

Got two of them for my painted garage floor, after a half year of driving on them see virtually no wear.

Just unroll and after a few hours if it is warm in the garage they will be perfectly flat. As long as you pull on them straight the mats will not move and haven't for me yet.

They are very durable and easily wipe clean of anything you spill on them, these are listed as parking pads, since they are vinyl I don't think they would hold up to heavy tools, jack stands and lifts that could leave dents in the mats... keep that in mind.

http://www.amazon.com/G-Floor-Ribbed-Garage-Floor-Sandstone/dp/B00028ZL86/ref=sr_1_7_m?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1462675131&sr=1-7&keywords=blt+g-floor+garage+floor

see below for their other products, all can bought at various sites around the internet

https://www.bltllc.com/g-floor-vinyl-flooring.html

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Bump - old thread but just curious if any members have completed garage floor projects since this thread was started?

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
So far water floats on top. I would guess same with oil. 3 days of prep before rolling it. I should have waited until it was a little warmer. I still had some Moisture spots that came up if it wasn't for that I'd rate it 10 for 10
cda2b022-7889-4e3e-9f59-77dede22cf72_400.jpg
So do you cut in around the edges with a brush first and then roll?

1crazymach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red GT 500
So do you cut in around the edges with a brush first and then roll?
No I should have. I also should have did a base coat. Its been 2 yrs now looks good but would have been perfect if i did a base.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Ive had my garage for almost 4 years now, forgot to add that. .The race deck holds up well, I mop it a couple times a year after I blow it clean with a leaf blower. I've jacked on it, ive spilled oil etc, wipes up. but if anyone gets race deck, I put down 2 layers of high quality landscape fabric under it. I was recommended to do that, +40 buck cost additional to everything but there's no clackily clack. its just solid feeling and sounding. dampened between concrete and plastic.

I just use electric battery leaf blower ryobi and blow it out periodically, mopping takes 5 minutes. literally, the easiest room in house to keep clean. Lol I insulated its roof and walls, its not heated or cooled but it stays 80% of the houses temperature year round. dig it a lot, warm in winter, cold in summer. Put 20 inches of cellulose in entire attic of house, its like a air tight box.
Sponsored