Sponsored

Fuel filter replacement DIY

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Does anyone have an idea on where i can get a need splash shield, besides the dealship? I got the part number off it, but tasca doesnt carry it. When i put the part # in google, some alibaba site comes up. I dont trust it. IF anyone has an idea. Would be greatly appreciate it!!
The splash shield should be re-usable. Right? No need to spend an extra 135 on a shield unless it cracked during the removal?

Side note, do you need an empty gas tank for this test? What has everyone used to avoid spills from the lines? I know the engine will stall with the electronic component disconnected so it wont be fed any more gas but how about the lines during the removal process.
Sponsored

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
I may be wrong, but I’ve read the standard GT does not have a serviceable fuel filter like the gt350 does. The GTs is likely attached to the pump like the old SN95s were.

I replaced my fuel filter last week and it was fairly simple. Motorcraft FG1083 Fuel Filter.
Posting this here mostly for other Mustang GT owners who search the forums for "fuel filter"...

You are not wrong. The regular GT has one of those in tank, non serviceable, "sock" style fuel filters.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good to hear. And I assume 2019/2020 Bullitts too, right? The GT350 is the WRONG car to compare here, since it doesn't even have direct injection. It's VERY different dealing with a 50 psi fuel system, than 2,000:devil:. You'd absolutely have to relieve the pressure on a DI system. Since it's inherently dangerous dealing with that pressure (and fuel), that's probably why Ford just put a big a$$ filter so it never has to be changed :D. This should be posted over the regular forum, so people know. Sorry for the intrusion, GT350 gang :).

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
IDK if this was addressed in this thread, haven't read all through. But in 2019 Shelby GT350 owners supplement is stated that fuel filter is for life of the car and don't need to be replaced.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thank you so much. If you dont mind sharing, how do I get access to the system you downloaded that content from?

Also its referring to releasing fuel pressure. How is that done?

This looks like a very simple task and cant really go wrong?
From the colors, it looks like an excerpt from the 2016 Mustang Shop Manual. I found an electronic copy somewhere online, and it is 113 mb, but I did manage to download it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Bumping this thread up as I ran into a problem trying to do this for the 3rd time in my 2017 GT350. Basically I disconnected the two fuel pump connections on the rear seat as usual and started the car. For some reason the car idled really rough but would not stall. I tried several times and it kept running rough and not stalling. In the past, it would just stall right away. I then said perhaps whatever is left inside the line is residual amount and keeps the engine going but trying to disconnect the fuel line met with clearly pressurized fuel line and lots of fuel leaking (and I quickly connected the line back to the fuel filter.

The only thing I can think of is the fuel tank was full. I had just gotten gas maybe 5 miles ago. Could that be the reason basically gravity doing its thing?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I change mine about once a year by just disconnecting and swapping the new one in. It spills fuel of course, but only a couple cups come out

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
wait. the one line and the other line that runs into the bottom of the rear seat with some black foam circular looking cover is actually the fuel pump lines? was ford not concerned with a heavy body sitting back there?

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Did something change fuel filter wise in the 2019+ cars? Otherwise why is the change interval so much different in the earlier vehicles?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Nope. Just disconnecting the battery and then go straight to removing the filter
Hmmm, when I went to disconnect mine a lot started pouring and I got scared and reconnected the line.

Would having a full tank of gas make this a difficult operation? As I stated, I did this literally 5 miles or so after getting gas. Maybe the volume of gas in the tank increases the static pressure in the line?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hmmm, when I went to disconnect mine a lot started pouring and I got scared and reconnected the line.

Would having a full tank of gas make this a difficult operation? As I stated, I did this literally 5 miles or so after getting gas. Maybe the volume of gas in the tank increases the static pressure in the line?
a full tank could contribute, either way, I’d just move quickly. There might be a cleaner way to do it, but I didn’t feel it was needed.

Haas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Was trying to change the fuel filter on my 2019 today. Ram into this fastener where I expected a 10 mm bolt. How do I get this off?
image.jpg

Edit: in case anyone else runs into this: grab the ridge with some pliers and twist it like a nut. Can hand loosen after a turn or two.
Sponsored

Last edited: