GT350 DIY Oil Change - Canister Oil Filter

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Quick update. Thanks to [MENTION=28002]cking[/MENTION] link I found this at the local auto parts store.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...27mm+oil+socket_-1_-1&keyword=27mm+oil+socket

I've driven about 150 miles since the oil change and I wanted to check the torque. The new socket fit perfect and the filter housing hasn't budged. It's all dry where it is supposed to be and oil level is staying consistent. Break in is done and I'm all set for the summer! :cheers:

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
[MENTION=24957]Minn19[/MENTION] thanks for the pictures and additional info. I too was surprised by how quickly the filter tightened to the tq spec. Those jack stands are neat, saw them on Jay Leno's Garage. They are a bit pricey but I suppose it's worth it for a well-made lifetime tool.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=24957]Minn19[/MENTION] thanks for the pictures and additional info. I too was surprised by how quickly the filter tightened to the tq spec. Those jack stands are neat, saw them on Jay Leno's Garage. They are a bit pricey but I suppose it's worth it for a well-made lifetime tool.
They were spendy, but I have a couple of different sets of pads so they are very versatile. They are also built to last, you can tell that the second you pick up the box they come in. Plus they are made in 'Merica if that is important to the individual.

Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just change my oil at 1292 miles.

The used oil looked very clean.

I didn't try using tin foil. I just removed the oil filter inspection door and once the oil filter housing became loose, I just let it drip straight down into the oil catch container. Didn't spill a drop. Super easy oil change.

Something else, the canister had a green dot on its perimeter, which was aligned with a green dot on the engine. I aligned those dots when I tightened it down. No leaks.

Last edited:

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I didn't try using tin foil. I just removed the oil filter inspection door and once the oil filter housing became loose, I just let it drip straight down into the oil catch container. Didn't spill a drop. Super easy oil change.
I was just about to ask if anyone had tried letting the oil drain with the filter housing loose, but not removed. Thanks for confirming this - didn't want to make a mess! :cheers:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Just change my oil at 1292 miles.

The used oil looked very clean.

Something else, the canister had a green dot on its perimeter, which was aligned with a green dot on the engine. I aligned those dots when I tightened it down. No leaks.
I was just about to ask if anyone had tried letting the oil drain with the filter housing loose, but not removed. Thanks for confirming this - didn't want to make a mess! :cheers:
Now I feel like :doh:

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Something else, drain the oil out of the pan before removing the filter. Not sure how the oiling system is rigged, but when I pulled the filter canister off there wasn't much oil that dripped out of the filter canister.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Something else, drain the oil out of the pan before removing the filter. Not sure how the oiling system is rigged, but when I pulled the filter canister off there wasn't much oil that dripped out of the filter canister.
That might be why so much oil came out of mine. I loosened the housing until oil drained out of it and i left it to drain for a bit. Then when I removed the housing, some oil came out of the filter. Maybe a few ounces.

Sponsored

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I think you are in for a mess...if your car is like my 16 with the usual spin on filter then you will make a mess....if you don't take precautions. I stuffed rags all over in the pan under the filter...those caught the oil. Now I have one of the moldable plastic funnels which should make next time much easier. Can't address the new canister type.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think you are in for a mess...if your car is like my 16 with the usual spin on filter then you will make a mess....if you don't take precautions. I stuffed rags all over in the pan under the filter...those caught the oil. Now I have one of the moldable plastic funnels which should make next time much easier. Can't address the new canister type.
Thanks for the reply. I could've updated this thread with my own experience the other week when I did this, I suppose.

The oil change went well. Drain plug first - needed a wide pan to catch because of the sheer force of 10 quarts of oil on release. Filter next - my '17 has the new type.

IIRC the oil filter is at an angle pointing to about 8 o'clock when you're standing directly beneath the door. The door opening allows for you to reach in with a hand or smaller socket wrench and work, I chose to use socket wrench from another opening to the left of the access door.

There was still plenty of oil in the filter so I loosened just enough to let it drain predictably. This is where the mess potential is. Had I yanked the filter right out it would spill into the belly pan due to the angle. Letting it drain a bit requires the right aim or it'll coat the belly pan also. The filter element also remained in after I got the cap off, as was also mentioned. More mess potential.

Fortunately I didn't get too much on the pan, but I definitely got some.

All in all easy.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
I always put a few rags around the oil filter adapter area and around the wiring harness and the leading edge of the belly pan, so any drips from the oil filter will catch onto them. I'll crack the filter loose with a ratchet but not loose enough where it starts leaking, just loose enough to where I can start twisting by hand, and then I'll slowly twist the filter loose by hand while holding a 'form a funnel' under the filter itself so when it starts pouring out of the adapter area, it'll drain accordingly.

edit: I have the traditional oil filter design but I think the method above applies equally for both.

Flat Rock Flyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for the write up, OP (and others ITT) as it was very helpful. One thing that I'll add that I found to work for me is that I was able to fit this funnel into the "trap door" and it worked flawlessly...was able to not spill any oil during the entire change, mostly because I took my sweet ass time during the entire process. The funnel I used measures 7.5 inches long by 5 inches wide, but I'm certain there are other ones very close to that which will work just as well. The only thing I did differently was that I drained the oil pan first, then removed the canister.

What I found in the filter wasn't as much fun and I'll document that in another thread. In any event, it worked well and thanks again.
image2-2.jpg
Sponsored