Sponsored

GT350 DIY Oil Change - Canister Oil Filter

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Drain pan then ice pick filter let it drain, then stuff area with newspaper remove filter.
Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Just thought I'd point out that the filter in the OP's post is what's commonly referred to as a "Cartridge Style" not Canister.

VoodooMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Big 3
Just thought I'd point out that the filter in the OP's post is what's commonly referred to as a "Cartridge Style" not Canister.
Both are correct. The "Cartridge" is the filter element. The "Canister" is the plastic housing that encloses the filter.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)

Sponsored

gt350wcs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks to both for write up. One question. Why a 12 point 27mm socket rather than 6 point?

Hi,

Where did you get the jack stands, I didn't see a link.

Thanks,

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
a 1/2" 27mm deep socket is fine. It is what I used.

As has been noted, the oil will make a mess if you do not have something to get it to flow to where you want it. Rest is easy.
Since this thread is live again and no one has mentioned it, I use a Form A Funnel under the filter which sends the oil out to the wheel well where I put my catch can. Don't spill a drop and don't even need to remove the little door under the filter. The whole thing is done from the wheel well.

<TED>

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Since this thread is live again and no one has mentioned it, I use a Form A Funnel under the filter which sends the oil out to the wheel well where I put my catch can. Don't spill a drop and don't even need to remove the little door under the filter. The whole thing is done from the wheel well.

<TED>
got a link to the one that fits perfectly? i am seeing various kinds on amazon. i'm close to doing my 1st oil change and i think this is going to be the messiest part.

https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B010BZ26EQ

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
got a link to the one that fits perfectly? i am seeing various kinds on amazon. i'm close to doing my 1st oil change and i think this is going to be the messiest part.

https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B010BZ26EQ
I really don't. I bought it years and years ago to use on my truck. However, it is 15" long (which I think is the critical dimension), though anything over say 12" would probably work fine. Mine is the PIG brand. (New Pig is a company that sells a lot of garage products including absorbent mats to absorb oil which I use when doing oil changes - among other things).

I hope this helps!

<TED>

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

<TED>
I looked around for one at the local auto stores here but no luck. So I had to improvise with card board. Didn't spill a drop either. The key for me was turn the filter slowly and let the oil start to dribble out. Once dribble then turn it some more to let slowly pour out. The card board has to be in place and moved where needed of course. That was nothing compared to the shock of a sustained pour of oil from the drain plug. Thought I was going to have serious overflow issues. Next time I'll leave the oil cap on when draining to see if that slows it down.

Sponsored

gt350wcs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I really don't. I bought it years and years ago to use on my truck. However, it is 15" long (which I think is the critical dimension), though anything over say 12" would probably work fine. Mine is the PIG brand. (New Pig is a company that sells a lot of garage products including absorbent mats to absorb oil which I use when doing oil changes - among other things).

I hope this helps!

<TED>
Just ordered the red one you recommended.