chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Been chasing a very annoying clunk/rattle and couldn't tell where it was coming from until today. Recent upgrades were MGW shifter, Borla Xpipe, Differential lock out bushings, Steeda stop the hop kit with subframe bushings. At first I was sure it was something I did during the installs, went back and checked everything and every bolt I touched and all was good. Finally got it back on jack stands and had wife shift gears while I was under car and found it. On the driver side of the MT82 there is a shaft coming out of the trans with what looks like a large counter weight attached to it. Nothing else is attached to it, looks like it acts as a counter weight only, but it is very loose and wobbly and makes contact with the side of the trans. It looks to have a drive pin securing it to the shaft and wobbles in all directions and probably should have had a nylon washer between the piece and the trans to take up the slop. I assume the shaft operates the shift forks inside the trans. Is this a common problem for this transmission? Car only has 1300 miles and I'm thinking about fixing it myself instead of taking it to a dealer. I would have to lower the trans in order to drive the pin out. Bad idea?
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I’ve never heard of that being an issue. When do you hear the noise? With respect to the parts that were installed, the diff bushing inserts are notorious for transferring a lot of NVH and the MGW does to a much lesser extent, as well.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
maybe a pic would help? it sounds like you're describing the rear part of shifter assembly is not seated in it's cheap-ass Ford bracket.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never heard of that being an issue. When do you hear the noise? With respect to the parts that were installed, the diff bushing inserts are notorious for transferring a lot of NVH and the MGW does to a much lesser extent, as well.
My vote would also be for the diff inserts. They actually made a LOT more noise than an entire replacement diff bush set (Whiteline). The inserts are junk IMO.

OP
OP
chesster51

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I’m at work and can’t post a pic, but it’s definitely the part I’m talking about. It’s a rattle and can be reproduced when shifting gears while car is stationary and not running. It’s loose enough that it moves around enough to make the rattle when driving over a gutter or speed bump and the noise is coming from the area where the part lives. It’s not a NVH noise. As said, it appears to be a weighted counterbalance and is about 7 inches long and is weighted on both ends and is only attached in the middle by a shaft coming out of the side of the trans on the driver side. The shaft moves the piece when shifting. I have an appointment with a dealer on Saturday. I don’t see how it’s hurting anything, just loose and rattling.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I swear the mt82 and the shift linkage on these cars were designed by a college intern...

OP
OP
chesster51

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer acknowledged the defective part, called it a damper, and will be replacing the part after they receive it.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Interesting you say that, my 2018 originally had that same counter weight. However I had to take mine in for a replacement as the differential went bad on me and I got a completely different transmission with different part number and slightly different design that does not include that weight. The only thing I hear from mine is the chatter noise but that's from the twin disc clutch.

Also the clunking noise if you are hearing it in neutral when making turns, that is coming from the diff bushings, especially if you have the PP with the 3.73.

OP
OP
chesster51

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting you say that, my 2018 originally had that same counter weight. However I had to take mine in for a replacement as the differential went bad on me and I got a completely different transmission with different part number and slightly different design that does not include that weight. The only thing I hear from mine is the chatter noise but that's from the twin disc clutch.

Also the clunking noise if you are hearing it in neutral when making turns, that is coming from the diff bushings, especially if you have the PP with the 3.73.
That's interesting. The dealer replaced the part, but it sounds the same. I'll have to make a few turns in neutral to see if I hear anything from the dif. I did install BMR dif lock out bushings. When I did there was another damper on the rear dif that I removed to install the bushing. I'd be curious if the dif damper was on your car as well. A pic of the part and a better description is here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/can-someone-identify-this-part.133535/#post-2753008

Sponsored

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
That's interesting. The dealer replaced the part, but it sounds the same. I'll have to make a few turns in neutral to see if I hear anything from the dif. I did install BMR dif lock out bushings. When I did there was another damper on the rear dif that I removed to install the bushing. I'd be curious if the dif damper was on your car as well. A pic of the part and a better description is here https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/can-someone-identify-this-part.133535/#post-2753008
Yes the diff damper is still on my car. The transmission one is what’s off of it. I meant to say transmission replacement not differential.

OP
OP
chesster51

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I see you also did differential bushings. Where the damper is, did you remove it and then install the red bushing and then reinstall the damper? I left it off and wondering if I should reinstall it.

OP
OP
chesster51

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody else with manual trans have this damper? And does it rattle and make noise?

2017RoushStage3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3, 2006 Saleen SC
Been chasing a very annoying clunk/rattle and couldn't tell where it was coming from until today. Recent upgrades were MGW shifter, Borla Xpipe, Differential lock out bushings, Steeda stop the hop kit with subframe bushings. At first I was sure it was something I did during the installs, went back and checked everything and every bolt I touched and all was good. Finally got it back on jack stands and had wife shift gears while I was under car and found it. On the driver side of the MT82 there is a shaft coming out of the trans with what looks like a large counter weight attached to it. Nothing else is attached to it, looks like it acts as a counter weight only, but it is very loose and wobbly and makes contact with the side of the trans. It looks to have a drive pin securing it to the shaft and wobbles in all directions and probably should have had a nylon washer between the piece and the trans to take up the slop. I assume the shaft operates the shift forks inside the trans. Is this a common problem for this transmission? Car only has 1300 miles and I'm thinking about fixing it myself instead of taking it to a dealer. I would have to lower the trans in order to drive the pin out. Bad idea?
I know this is an old post but wondering about the counter weight is the source of my noise. Do you by chance have a picture of it?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Here’s a pic of what’s being referred to.
C31EA5DC-22C1-4B28-AC3F-445C06281819.jpeg
Sponsored