Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
How is everyone doing pulls during the tunes learning period? I've done a lot of single gear pulls from 40 mph to redline in 2nd through 6th. I tried doing a pull through all the gears but was already at 80 on 3rd. FP tech told me to do pulls through all the gears, but, I just can't do that on the street.

This is my first Mustang. I've had Miatas for the past 12 years including a Monster Miata, a home brew turbo Miata, and a Jackson Racing supercharged Miata. Raced Spec Miata for 3 seasons as well.
It's just 50% throttle pulls from 50-75mph. Not through 6th lol.
Sponsored

Jpol908

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Ragtop
Today, after a cars and coffee event, did a wide open run, and surprisingly, boost gauge hit 24.3 psi!! Only mods are the FP tune and DV+.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
Depends on you define "variety". I started off with three on the column and progressed through the years. :lol:

Anyway, I was just messing around with yomamma219 ... no hard foul. I should have guessed someone would get bent out of shape if I joked around about the weight and quickness of a turbo Mustang. :ninja:
Nope, not bent out of shape at all, I'm too old for that. :thumbsup:
It just seems some folks have a skewed sense of how much power they really need and/or want to get all over dramatic about everything. I see a lot, and I mean A LOT of kids now who think if a car has less than 500 hp it's "a death trap" or is nothing more than a family car.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Nope, not bent out of shape at all, I'm too old for that. :thumbsup:
It just seems some folks have a skewed sense of how much power they really need and/or want to get all over dramatic about everything. I see a lot, and I mean A LOT of kids now who think if a car has less than 500 hp it's "a death trap" or is nothing more than a family car.
I hear you... that is fact. So funny I read the forum and think, I need a bigger turbo or trade up to a V8... then I drive my car and think WTH. For where I live, this is MORE than enough.

I love having the tune... does give the car that little kick it needs.

Anyway, glad kids you know understand the difference. Kids around here are more into FB (not complaining, it is their thing) and that next play station or x-box.

I knew a lot way back when... well enough to "mess" with my friend's brother when he brought his new gt mustang home. I looked at the car and said "it won't do more than 80. It is slow." He was not happy, then asked why and I went on to tell him that what was on the dash. Even though I knew better... it was fun. :lol:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Lol agreed. The only place you are going to use that kind of HP is a track, or some road in the mid-west. In NJ you are either dead, killing someone, or in jail. It's really just for vanity or for gloating. If you really stop light raced everyone you see, it wont end pretty.

Sponsored

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have been thinking this same way alot lately. I always think of more power when not driving and quite content while driving. I find myself often accelerating just to prove to myself the torque this thing has. I have recently decided to get into a gt. Sure, some is the ecoboost stigma. I test drove 4 gt's. I was surprised that the 5.0 fun factor doesn't start until 3500 or more so 4500. That means fun in 3rd gear has me in the ticket zone in my area. Let alone the other gears. I assume there are ways to slightly increase the 5.0 torque. I just didn't expect this little ecoboost to work so well down low. So not sure now what direction I plan. Might just end up with this tune.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=14433]jtmat[/MENTION] hahaha I like your reasoning of it being a safer car. I remember reading an article on jalopnik a while back regarding the same thought process. I was coming from an 05 4cylinder escape so the fact that I'm usually going faster than the cars on the highway when I'm merging has been a huge adjustment.

I am getting 20x10.5s hopefully with the Nitro G2s put on the rear this week coming from stock 19x8.5s with the Pzero neros. I'm eager to see what difference it makes. Definitely been donating a bit more rubber to the road lately I since I know I'm I getting more soon. I'vebeen trying to focus on cosmetic mods to get it exactly where I want it looks wise before mustang week in Myrtle.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I just don't get this EB stigma thing. Ive had two GT's in the past and this 2.3 is more powerful then either of them. I understand its not up to current 5.0 power levels but it more then enough for a daily driver. Put this tune on it and its fantastic. On top of that its just a really well balanced platform. Certianly better all around then the GT. The EB is nimbler, lighter, better balanced, with good mileage and great range and has a ton of useable power. Whats not to like? The GT brings stupid power potential and that glorious noise. Most GT guy's understand the trade offs between the two, the others I could care less about. Their ignorance is their problem, not mine. Just enjoy your beautiful, fun as hell cars guys, EB or GT, cant go wrong either way, depending on what you want.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's a combo of the sound which is very awesome and all the old timers showing the human race desire to resist change ;) also because young people like to "peacock". Not trying to start another of the same old argument just poking some fun. In the end everyone has their own reasons for their choices. If I could I'd have a manual ecoboost convertible manual for DD, a more modified Auto GT for days I want to hear the sound/drag strip, and a GT350(R?) For the twisty track/shows.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
One concern I have with the "if it's not a v8 it sucks and I'm not going to by it", is ford can't really make the most perfect mustang. I have No Doubt that a v6 turbo charged motor could be made to outperform every aspect of a normally aspirated motor. European cars have done it for years. More torque, more hp and a lighter package and easy to tune for more. Emotion if a tough one to engineer around. But yes a v6 turbo motor would have my money. Even if it didn't have the v8 rasp. Which the new coyote motors have a little more rasp then I like anyway.

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I always logically assumed that a twin turbo C6 would be a lot harder to tune than a straight 4 single turbo

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
FP Tune Review - 1 week in.

Hey guys. I've had my FP Tune kit installed for since last wednesday and I just wanted to provide a short write up detailing my experience with the tune thus far and the installation process.

1.] Starting with the installation process, and the hoops I had to jump through due to the dealerships in my area. For starters I choose to go with a dealership, Ideally I wanted to just use my favorite ASE certified local shop, but with my work schedule and the shop being closed on the weekends I couldn't make it work with them. I called 4-5 different dealerships in the chicagoland area and asked to speak to the service manager. The first four dealerships had no idea what I was talking about. One shop said they would install just the intake, but would not file any paperwork to FP, and would void my factory warranty for the low price of $270. The tune would have to be done off the property and I'd be on my own. deal of a lifetime right? Finally found a dealership that had an aftermarket tech and booked a time that worked. I left them with my laptop and all the instructions (printed in advance) and the parts. 30 minutes into waiting they called me into the shop indicating there was an issue. The Procal software was not automatically populating the fields it was supposed to when the OBD port adapter was inserted. 45 minutes later we learned that you really have to jam that sucker in the port, like really get it in there. The tech didnt want to break it and thought it was all the way in. That may be the only important installation advice in this post, jam it in there good. giggity. Intake took em 30 minutes, tune took 30 minutes, paperwork just went through for the warranty today.

2.] Regarding the tune itself. When people have said in the past that the difference between stock and this tune is night and day. Believe them! The peak gains are not as important as the power curve and the area underneath it. In my opinion the worst part of car was the stock tune. It pulls pretty good until it doesn't, and your left yawning from 4.5k rpm - redline. It was anemic and utterly disappointing. For reference I have a buddy with a pro tuned FBO 15 Eco. This tune is not as powerful, but it completely fixes the top end. Now she puts you back in your seat until redline, shifts up and holds boost until the next redline. During the octane mapping phase I found myself disoriented as to my ground speed. I'd go WOT and I'm thinking "yeah that's about 60" only to look down and see I'm going 85. Now I'm not trying to say this car is now factually twice as fast, but damn the way she climbs to redline is just brutal now, and I'm trying to adjust to that unsuccessfully. All in all I'm very very happy with this tune kit. I track my car with MVP midwest frequently and the stock ECU and Stock goodyears have been my only hold back, I'll be sure to post another update after I've had a track day to really find the limits of this tune.

I'm hoping at least one person finds something they wanted to hear about this tune in my review. I purposely tried to steer this write up away from stictly technical figures and more along the lines of my personal impressions. Mainly because other people who know more than I do have already stated them and because I've only had 4-5 chances to take the car out since the install. All I can say is if you need a reliable tune and want to keep your warranty, this tune is for you. It's perfect. In the future after my wheel, tires, and Fp Track handling kit, I'll be going pro tune so this is a stepping stone of sorts, but god damn its a big leap from stock. :cheers:

TEXAS HEAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 A10
Hey guys. I've had my FP Tune kit installed for since last wednesday and I just wanted to provide a short write up detailing my experience with the tune thus far and the installation process.

1.] Starting with the installation process, and the hoops I had to jump through due to the dealerships in my area. For starters I choose to go with a dealership, Ideally I wanted to just use my favorite ASE certified local shop, but with my work schedule and the shop being closed on the weekends I couldn't make it work with them. I called 4-5 different dealerships in the chicagoland area and asked to speak to the service manager. The first four dealerships had no idea what I was talking about. One shop said they would install just the intake, but would not file any paperwork to FP, and would void my factory warranty for the low price of $270. The tune would have to be done off the property and I'd be on my own. deal of a lifetime right? Finally found a dealership that had an aftermarket tech and booked a time that worked. I left them with my laptop and all the instructions (printed in advance) and the parts. 30 minutes into waiting they called me into the shop indicating there was an issue. The Procal software was not automatically populating the fields it was supposed to when the OBD port adapter was inserted. 45 minutes later we learned that you really have to jam that sucker in the port, like really get it in there. The tech didnt want to break it and thought it was all the way in. That may be the only important installation advice in this post, jam it in there good. giggity. Intake took em 30 minutes, tune took 30 minutes, paperwork just went through for the warranty today.

2.] Regarding the tune itself. When people have said in the past that the difference between stock and this tune is night and day. Believe them! The peak gains are not as important as the power curve and the area underneath it. In my opinion the worst part of car was the stock tune. It pulls pretty good until it doesn't, and your left yawning from 4.5k rpm - redline. It was anemic and utterly disappointing. For reference I have a buddy with a pro tuned FBO 15 Eco. This tune is not as powerful, but it completely fixes the top end. Now she puts you back in your seat until redline, shifts up and holds boost until the next redline. During the octane mapping phase I found myself disoriented as to my ground speed. I'd go WOT and I'm thinking "yeah that's about 60" only to look down and see I'm going 85. Now I'm not trying to say this car is now factually twice as fast, but damn the way she climbs to redline is just brutal now, and I'm trying to adjust to that unsuccessfully. All in all I'm very very happy with this tune kit. I track my car with MVP midwest frequently and the stock ECU and Stock goodyears have been my only hold back, I'll be sure to post another update after I've had a track day to really find the limits of this tune.

I'm hoping at least one person finds something they wanted to hear about this tune in my review. I purposely tried to steer this write up away from stictly technical figures and more along the lines of my personal impressions. Mainly because other people who know more than I do have already stated them and because I've only had 4-5 chances to take the car out since the install. All I can say is if you need a reliable tune and want to keep your warranty, this tune is for you. It's perfect. In the future after my wheel, tires, and Fp Track handling kit, I'll be going pro tune so this is a stepping stone of sorts, but god damn its a big leap from stock. :cheers:
I'm glad you were finally able to get it installed and are enjoying it. :cheers:

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=21048]Dirty-EB-Chicago[/MENTION] you said you hoped at least one person finds something they wanted to hear....well I can tell you that your post is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear..... Now I'm more tempted than ever to go get this done :p . Great post and was glad to hear someone else has trouble getting dealerships to take more of their money even if it was at your own difficulty.

Do you have a premium? I have seen very little comments in terms of differences between drive modes on the premium models. I know the difference between modes is supposed to be only in throttle response curve but I'm curious for a comparison between the feel of stock normal to sport to FP tune normal to FP tune sport. I disregarded track mode because I believe it's just somewhere in between the normal/sport extremes.
Sponsored