Ford Racing ProCal Tune

WileECoyote79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost w/performance pack
Nope. Except, as with any aftermarket add-on, the problem is a result of the add-on. And that is never mileage or time dependent. The only thing lost at 3/36 is the warranty provided by Ford Performance. I confirmed this with Ford Warranty only days ago. :cheers:
This news is not good for my pocketbook...Oh my poor bank account...so long pal i hardly knew ye. :love:
Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Just had the dealer install my tune, eagerly awaiting to drive:ford:

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and
components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline
and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for
warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
All one has to do is read the darn warranty statement. Language is pretty clear. The cause would specifically have to be linked to the Ford Performance tune. New vehicle limited warranty covers engine and power train for 60k...extended warranties cover it for 100k. FP put out a press release stating their 60k tear down on a FP tuned EB showed no addition wear over that of a stock tuned EB. For those that drive their cars 150k~250k (or until the wheels fall off) that's great news.

The biggest thing the FP tune does is increase the area under the curve. Your not getting huge increases in peak power, only 20hp to bring it up on par with it's direct competitor, the 2016+ Camaro V6. But a FP tuned EB has a MUCH broader power curve, making over 300 hp at the crank from 3800 to 6100. The Camaro V6's power band is peaky, you get 1,000~1200 rpm of bandwidth over 300 hp. That's a very notable difference. We already saw a stock 3.15 Auto EB with the FP tune run a 13.5 with crap tires and stock IC...throw on some tires and and IC, lower gearing that numbers gonna shrink darn close to GT territory.

Does it make the most power? Nope. But if your EB is a daily driver you depend on or your not willing to shell out $7k for a new engine if something happens (at which point you mine as well have bought a GT because that's the price difference), then this is the only viable solution.

I would suggest installing an inter cooler along with the tune or installing it before you bring it in. I asked the FP if cooling systems affect the warranty and the answer was no because they are not power adders, but they do allow you get maximum power under higher ambient's where the stock IC falls on its face (which doesn't take much).

I'll bet my bottom dollar a FP tuned EB's with a 3.55 (6R80's) or 3.73 (MT-82's) rears and an IC will run low 13's consistently. Not sure if I'll get a chance to get to the strip this year considering all that's happened, but I'm hoping some one else will.

I can say that the tune is great and it's the ONLY tune you should consider for any daily driver. There are quite a few people on these forums who have thrown rods now under just about EVERY tuner there is. You can't cram years of testing and research Ford has done into a few hours on a dyno, otherwise Ford and every other auto manufacturer would popping out new engines every year. R&D, good R&D takes time, the more reliability you need, the more design, testing and validation you need.

People can argue about this shop tune or that shop tune being safe, but running the car on a dyno for a few ours at one particular ambient temperature, tank of fuel and elevation does not make it reliable when those variables change (like here in Ohio where we literally can go for 20F to 65F inside of a single week) and that's why people throw rods. They could be ok for weeks, months or even a year but move into those conditions and now you're using tables with variables that are no longer all valid. Dyno tuning invalidates some of the data in these meticulously created tables, so unless the tuner were to test the car in a climactic chamber, there's risk. It's great for race cars where you only need that tune to perform on that given day, but not for street cars.

Ford Performance actually tests these street car tunes in a climactic engine dyno chamber over the same range of operating conditions as the stock engines under go. It's an OE like tune, they get the gains by eliminating low octane fuel requirement from the equation. Multi-fuel engines for example get horrible fuel mileage on most of their fuels because they tuning if focused on being to run a broad range of fuels each which act slightly differently, that limits peak performance of a particular fuel type. Hope this helps put to rest the warranty debate at the very least!

Last edited:

signal12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR 50 YEAR Ecoboost Convertable 6MT
What TheLion just said! Splendid, mate!

Sponsored

Cheo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
All one has to do is read the darn warranty statement. Language is pretty clear. The cause would specifically have to be linked to the Ford Performance tune. New vehicle limited warranty covers engine and power train for 60k...extended warranties cover it for 100k. FP put out a press release stating their 60k tear down on a FP tuned EB showed no addition wear over that of a stock tuned EB. For those that drive their cars 150k~250k (or until the wheels fall off) that's great news.

The biggest thing the FP tune does is increase the area under the curve. Your not getting huge increases in peak power, only 20hp to bring it up on par with it's direct competitor, the 2016+ Camaro V6. But a FP tuned EB has a MUCH broader power curve, making over 300 hp at the crank from 3800 to 6100. The Camaro V6's power band is peaky, you get 1,000~1200 rpm of bandwidth over 300 hp. That's a very notable difference. We already saw a stock 3.15 Auto EB with the FP tune run a 13.5 with crap tires and stock IC...throw on some tires and and IC, lower gearing that numbers gonna shrink darn close to GT territory.

Does it make the most power? Nope. But if your EB is a daily driver you depend on or your not willing to shell out $7k for a new engine if something happens (at which point you mine as well have bought a GT because that's the price difference), then this is the only viable solution.

I would suggest installing an inter cooler along with the tune or installing it before you bring it in. I asked the FP if cooling systems affect the warranty and the answer was no because they are not power adders, but they do allow you get maximum power under higher ambient's where the stock IC falls on its face (which doesn't take much).

I'll bet my bottom dollar a FP tuned EB's with a 3.55 (6R80's) or 3.73 (MT-82's) rears and an IC will run low 13's consistently. Not sure if I'll get a chance to get to the strip this year considering all that's happened, but I'm hoping some one else will.

I can say that the tune is great and it's the ONLY tune you should consider for any daily driver. There are quite a few people on these forums who have thrown rods now under just about EVERY tuner there is. You can't cram years of testing and research Ford has done into a few hours on a dyno, otherwise Ford and every other auto manufacturer would popping out new engines every year. R&D, good R&D takes time, the more reliability you need, the more design, testing and validation you need.

People can argue about this shop tune or that shop tune being safe, but running the car on a dyno for a few ours at one particular ambient temperature, tank of fuel and elevation does not make it reliable when those variables change (like here in Ohio where we literally can go for 20F to 65F inside of a single week) and that's why people throw rods. They could be ok for weeks, months or even a year but move into those conditions and now you're using tables with variables that are no longer all valid. Dyno tuning invalidates some of the data in these meticulously created tables, so unless the tuner were to test the car in a climactic chamber, there's risk. It's great for race cars where you only need that tune to perform on that given day, but not for street cars.

Ford Performance actually tests these street car tunes in a climactic engine dyno chamber over the same range of operating conditions as the stock engines under go. It's an OE like tune, they get the gains by eliminating low octane fuel requirement from the equation. Multi-fuel engines for example get horrible fuel mileage on most of their fuels because they tuning if focused on being to run a broad range of fuels each which act slightly differently, that limits peak performance of a particular fuel type. Hope this helps put to rest the warranty debate at the very least!
So true, finally did a full pull in second to 6500 after 300 miles on the tune, all I can say is AWESOME! Never let off, it kept going and probably would've to 7k. I'm impressed with this tune, and that is warranty friendly makes me even happier, will keep it until warranty runs out, maybe even beyond. Gotta thank everyone for their feedback on this tune, well worth the dollars.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Ugh I need to unsubscribe from this thread. I had decided I was going to hold off for a good while on doing any time but getting the email with everyone loving it combined with the fact that I'm getting new wider wheels is making me.change my mind again.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Ugh I need to unsubscribe from this thread. I had decided I was going to hold off for a good while on doing any time but getting the email with everyone loving it combined with the fact that I'm getting new wider wheels is making me.change my mind again.
I know! FP tune was going to be a later mod after everything else, but I keep reading good reviews and it's slowly creeping up my list. Really makes me want to grab my IC (Really hoping the ATM IC's come back like they say they are).

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Do you have another tune? If not, I'm not sure how you can live with the stock tune on the car. Heck, even getting on the hwy with the stock tune is scary.... heavy car and no power.

FP tune makes it a different car... safer to drive since you are able to get away from idiots quickly. :D

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I have been running this tune now for 3 months and I forgot how this car was stock. Do I wish it had a little more peak power? Sure, but with my tires, auto trans, and suspension it would have been wasted. No point putting a pro-tune on a car with stock drive train auto parts and tires, just to risk blowing the motor for little gain.

Like TheLion said, with good tires and gears, low 13's from a 4 cylinder 2.3 daily is about the limit I would take it.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
You obviously havent driven a variety of different cars if you think a stock ecoboost is heavy and has no power.
Haha my thought exactly. My dad's Crosstrek? Now THAT is scary getting on the freeway. Weighs about the same, AWD with a measly 140ft/lb. Pedal to the floor brings it to 75 in about....the time it takes for your kids to grow up and buy a faster car than you.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
You are going to be bummed for the first 150 to 200 miles. But give it time! The car feels very slugish at first.
You are absolutely right, now I can relate why you were asking if the tune was really installed or not, I mean the throttle response is different a little more sensitive but trying to gun just feels like its bottle necked power with a lot more intake noise.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
You obviously havent driven a variety of different cars if you think a stock ecoboost is heavy and has no power.
Depends on you define "variety". I started off with three on the column and progressed through the years. :lol:

Anyway, I was just messing around with yomamma219 ... no hard foul. I should have guessed someone would get bent out of shape if I joked around about the weight and quickness of a turbo Mustang. :ninja:

Last edited:

sanravel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium Convertible
How is everyone doing pulls during the tunes learning period? I've done a lot of single gear pulls from 40 mph to redline in 2nd through 6th. I tried doing a pull through all the gears but was already at 80 on 3rd. FP tech told me to do pulls through all the gears, but, I just can't do that on the street.

This is my first Mustang. I've had Miatas for the past 12 years including a Monster Miata, a home brew turbo Miata, and a Jackson Racing supercharged Miata. Raced Spec Miata for 3 seasons as well.
Sponsored