Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Called Steve at Tasca, 495$ shipped to texas (paid a little extra for faster shipping)

Thanks much for the contact info!
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Remember, it doesn't have to be done at the Ford dealer.

Warranty Registration: This Limited Warranty requires that parts must be purchased from an authorized Ford Performance Distributor and installed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).

Proof of purchase is required for submission of warranty claims. Registration for this warranty must be submitted through the Ford Performance Call Center at (800) 367-3788 or [email protected] with the vehicle identification number (VIN), part installation repair order and date, Ford Performance part number, and owner contact information.

For people that have a good reputable shop they like to work with, this may be a more reasonable option. The Dealer I go to uses the shop that I'll be taking my car to as well.

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Lol... I am a machinist and build engines for a living.... and I have to find someone with an ASE cert to maintain the warranty eh?

Pretty sure I can handle installing an air intake and pressing enter on a keyboard.....

Last edited:

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I feel your pain! I certainly don't have your credentials but I've installed plenty of intakes and tunes over the years. Even developed tunes using SCT Pro Racer package but whatever... I just hate having to pay for it.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
would you install if you had a Spain motor?

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is absolutely the tune to get if you have a Spanish motor. Assuming you're still in warranty. Otherwise, eh, if it's going to blow, it's going to blow. The tune probably won't make a difference.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
It does not matter which engine.... I mean the other day we had someone push the heck out of their engine and it was not a US built engine. Well, lots of people....

Lot of speculation on this issue.... I'm waiting to see what [MENTION=21658]perfweld[/MENTION] says though... someone who actually knows a thing or two....

On this forum speculation gets turned into "fact" quickly....

At any rate, don't install just because you have this or that engine... look at what you want to do down the road with the car.... what other mods. Or if you simply can't afford a new engine. Or you simply want to be safe.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Yes, mine is an early motor from Spain and I'll be installing. The way I think about it, is I had to be honest with myself what I wanted out of the car. Yes I want it fast but this is my only car and therefore obviously my DD so it has to be dependable. I'm not racing it on the track or against some moron on the street. I keep telling myself I'm going to put a bigger turbo on and do this or that but I won't. Sanity kicks in and says stop, I need to depend on this car.

I do want better performance though. I've never been happy with Normal mode on my automatic. The shift points are terrible and the pedal lag and reduction rob that performance feel. I use Sport mode most of the time but I hate the way if I accelerate a little quick, it won't shift. Plus with the stock bad tune at the top of 3rd, it gets to ~5500 and just hangs there. It doesn't have any power left to accelerate (much) and it won't shift. I either paddle it or suffer.

I want the car to have more power, use it when I command it and shift normally. You know, like it should have come from Ford originally. Then have Sport mode available for when I'm driving a little more aggressive on back twisty roads. Then I want it to hold the gears rather than up shift when I let off the gas.

I can't imagine a safer tune. I'm not going to try to say what all they do to protect the engine because I don't know but think about it this way. They are selling the Performance Pack for $699 retail. I think very few people pay that. I paid $484 from the Tasca Ford Dealer so they are paying even less than that. Take out their cost for research, design, materials, packaging and everything, they aren't making much off this. Yet they are guaranteeing/warranting your drive line. The engine goes and they are out ~$6k. That just ate all the money they actually profited from many sales. If they feel it's that safe, I can depend on it to get me to work and back. At the same time performing the way it should've originally.

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
If they feel it's that safe, I can depend on it to get me to work and back. At the same time performing the way it should've originally.

Precisely. A company willing to put their reputation and money on reliability is a big plus in my book.

vegetakid24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost
Pretty excited placed my order yesterday morning and am expected to receive it today. Going to have it installed early next week and will post results afterwards. Anyone in the Houston area have any recommendation which shop or dealership to go to.

Sponsored

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
Pretty excited placed my order yesterday morning and am expected to receive it today. Going to have it installed early next week and will post results afterwards. Anyone in the Houston area have any recommendation which shop or dealership to go to.
FYI, Ford Performance lists Tommie Vaughn Ford. Bing showed they have the highest rating for Houston area dealers listed. Perhaps give them a call and see what they say.
http://www.tommievaughnperformance.com/

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just an FYI for those wondering about fuel mileage, I just got back from a 1049 mile round trip from OH to WI.

The trip there fuel economy was sub-par. We had an ice story the night before so the car was literally caked with ice, it was in the teens when I left OH and by the time I arrived to WI it was -1F...head winds and bad roads so I only managed 25 mpg on the way there, which is roughly 450ish miles one way.

Did some mixed city / highway driving while there. The way back however things were much better. Temps were up into mid to high 30's, no snow on the roads and traffic was fairly steady most of the way.

Traveling at roughly 75 mph for most of the trip I managed 31.2 mpg with 150 lbs of cargo / presents coming back. During the first 100 miles I average 34 mpg going about 60~65 on city highways.

Remember this is with a fairly short 3.73 rear end / MT-82 tranny, not the uber tall 3.31 the car came with. All in all it's pretty decent. Car seemed to pick up a bit more edge after the third drive cycle (600 miles), but that could just be me. Overall the FP tune for daily driving / cruising and twisty roads is a great option until the warranty is up and you can step up to something a little hotter.

And if you look at the Ford Performance 1/4 mile thread, it confirms what I suspected that the car will run mid to low 13's depending on driver / gearing / tires and track.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Just had mine installed and can confirm it is a pig right after installation... in lower gears it feels like it is in wet/snow mode when I try to get on the throttle. I can't wait to put a few miles on and let it dial in.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Learned a few things from Ford Performance today. Some is just a confirmation and elaboration of what others have already been told.

1. Posted performance numbers are to the flywheel
  2. OK to run 87 octane
  3. Drive cycle = 3 50-75 MPH pulls in 3rd or 4th gear @ 50% throttle.

This is what he sent me, he got this from the engineer.

Just wanted to pass some info on to you guys about this cal.

When I did this cal I decided to give the spark octane modifier range of authority to learn down to 87 pump gas so the owner could run whatever fuel he wanted. Of course he will only get the gains advertised if he runs premium fuel. Our calibrations in the past had no range of authority on this modifier and always gave you the maximum spark advance for premium fuel.

So…if someone flashes in our cal and doesn’t allow the modifier to learn premium his spark will be retarded anywhere from 2-7 degrees from what it should be for premium fuel…hence his numbers will be lower.

To learn the fuel octane I’m told you can Perform three 50-75 moderate accels (50% pedal) in 3rd or 4th gear.

I am going to have the website modified to remove the statement that premium is required and add a disclaimer that the gains will not be optimized until fuel octane is learned.

Hopefully this helps others that have gotten the tune to get the most out of it as quickly as possible.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Thank you Jbailer, this now makes sense why people need to drive it for a few miles before the calibration kicks in.
Sponsored