Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
You're lucky. Here it's anywhere from 50-60 cents higher for 93 over 87. I still run 93 all the time though.
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Regular (87) is $1.95/gallon here while Premium (93) is $2.57/gallon. I run Premium in my EcoBoost vehicles and run Regular in the Mazdarati (daily).

Myfirst4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
You guys should invest in a gas saving app like Gas Buddy or similar. They work great and, to me, better than running cheap gas.

I live in supposedly the most expensive market (SoCal) and never pay more than 30-40 cents per gallon more. I Checked 5 cities in CT for Marjen and the page for Chattanooga for Juben and found a 21 cent average difference in CT (among 5 cities) and 2.27-2.35 per gallon in Chattanoga.

vegetakid24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost
getting it installed by tommie vaughn ford this monday for around 260$. Will post thoughts and 0-30/60 updates after the learning period.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Just received my EBM Procal kit. Very disappointed in fit of air inlet. after modifying (cutting inlet tube seal), and comparing old inlet to new, I discovered that the new inlet is smaller than the one it's replacing. The new one does not fit over the the in place air nozzle. So now I have a inlet tube that is not sealed properly installed.
Has anyone else noticed this problem while doing the air bucket install? I'm having a feeling I didn't the EBM inlet but the GT350 in it's place.
Anyone have this problem?

Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Just received my EBM Procal kit. Very disappointed in fit of air inlet. after modifying (cutting inlet tube seal), and comparing old inlet to new, I discovered that the new inlet is smaller than the one it's replacing. The new one does not fit over the the in place air nozzle. So now I have a inlet tube that is not sealed properly installed.
Has anyone else noticed this problem while doing the air bucket install? I'm having a feeling I didn't the EBM inlet but the GT350 in it's place.
Anyone have this problem?

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Just an fyi for those wanting to switch octane frequently I sould suggest not doing so. FP specifically told me downgrading octane will force the PCM to relearn the new lower octane and of course timing will be pulled during that process (which should be obvious). Also you cannot go from 91/93 to 87 regularly, in an emergency you can but your limited to ver light throttle and keeping rpm up while accelerating to prevent knock. It takes 200 miles for just 1 drive cycle and can take several drive cycles to fully optamize depending on conditions etc.

Fuel economy is also inferior on 87 according to FP but they didnt say by how much. Pick you octane and stick with it. Just a couple posts back i reported getting 31.2 mpg on a 450 mile trip (93) at 75 mostly and i have a rather short 3.73 rear end. 3.55 or 3.31 should be in 32-33 mpg territory. I was getting 34 mpg for the first 116 miles at lower speeds of 60-65 mpg on the city bypass.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Regular (87) is $1.95/gallon here while Premium (93) is $2.57/gallon. I run Premium in my EcoBoost vehicles and run Regular in the Mazdarati (daily).
I'll look into that app for sure. I don't mind paying what I do, but if I can find it cheaper and it still be a good brand, then sign me up. :headbang:

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Just an fyi for those wanting to switch octane frequently I sould suggest not doing so. FP specifically told me downgrading octane will force the PCM to relearn the new lower octane and of course timing will be pulled during that process (which should be obvious). Also you cannot go from 91/93 to 87 regularly, in an emergency you can but your limited to ver light throttle and keeping rpm up while accelerating to prevent knock. It takes 200 miles for just 1 drive cycle and can take several drive cycles to fully optamize depending on conditions etc..
200 miles? I don't believe that.... either they did not understand the question or you did not understand the reply.

I'll ask after the holidays... but since you seem to have a "red phone" directly with Ford performance, maybe your reply will be faster (they did not reply back to me the last time I emailed them on clarification on a question).

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
200 miles? I don't believe that.... either they did not understand the question or you did not understand the reply.

I'll ask after the holidays... but since you seem to have a "red phone" directly with Ford performance, maybe your reply will be faster (they did not reply back to me the last time I emailed them on clarification on a question).
I'm curious to know what you learn as well. Because when I bought my car the very first tank from the dealer was on 87 octane. I ran it about 150 miles then I did a couple of tests with the track app. Did a 0-60 and a 1/4 mile run. 0-60 was 6.0 seconds and the 1/4 mile was 14.4 at 96mph (now I did not realize the car was on 87 at that time). When I filled in my 2nd tank on my own I put in 93. I maybe drove 15 miles or so and then did a test run again. The car then did 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile was 14 flat at 100.
Now I will say when I changed tunes it took about 200 miles aka 1 drive cycle for the car to really adjust to that. I went Cobb Stage 1, I saw some immediate results in terms of gains, and could feel it. But after a week the car got stronger again. Same thing occured when I was tuned by Adam at Tune+, and his gains which much more drastic. After a week with his tune my car was flying!

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Timing can scale depending on knock within a particular table set. However when the PCM is finding it's constantly using the most aggressive values in the table and no detectable knock it will incrementally advance to the next set of tables until it reaches safe limits.

Juben is the one who stated 200 miles for 1 standard drive cycle. The FP guy said several hundred miles which implies at least 200 by the wording alone and corresponds to what Juben said in general. Sure, you can notice a difference after a very short time, but that doesn't mean it will reach its maximum potential during that time.

I noticed a significant difference after just 30 miles. Then again after 200 miles. Not much after that, maybe a bit more edge over the next roughly 400 miles (600 total).

Basically the PCM will change the range in which it can scale timing after several drive cycles, allowing a range which ultimately makes more power. If you go back several posts (probably quite a few by now), I gave direct quotes to the FP rep who has been my contact I got the information from via his Ford e-mail. I was given his contact information from Ford performance tech support as they were not able to adequately answer my questions.

Here is his contact information:

Mike Goodwin
[email protected]
(800) FORD-788
www.fordshowparts.com
www.fordperformance.com
www.performanceparts.ford.com

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I just talked to FP and as I've said before, there is no mileage for the tune to "kick in" or complete a drive cycle by mileage. FP says what they were trying to say is just go drive the car and have fun. They said the reference to 200 miles was a loose reference meaning just drive it for a bit and don't think about it. I mean if you've ever looked at the tables in a ECU, have you ever seen any table that counts miles? There isn't one.

There is only one learning cycle other than normal driving and that is to do 3-4 pulls at about 50% throttle from 50-75 MPH. That is only because this is the first time they have enabled the learning for 87 octane to be used. All of the tables need to be relearned and for the other tables, it's no different than if you disconnect your battery for 10 minutes then reconnect it.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just talked to FP and as I've said before, there is no mileage for the tune to "kick in" or complete a drive cycle by mileage. FP says what they were trying to say is just go drive the car and have fun. They said the reference to 200 miles was a loose reference meaning just drive it for a bit and don't think about it. I mean if you've ever looked at the tables in a ECU, have you ever seen any table that counts miles? There isn't one.

There is only one learning cycle other than normal driving and that is to do 3-4 pulls at about 50% throttle from 50-75 MPH. That is only because this is the first time they have enabled the learning for 87 octane to be used. All of the tables need to be relearned and for the other tables, it's no different than if you disconnect your battery for 10 minutes then reconnect it.
It's entirely possible drive cycle is based on a complete collection of specific data and not mileage, I've never had a chance to actually look at the compiler code for a PCM. Perhaps the 200 miles came from the general assumption that's the average time it takes to get all of those parameters / data? I don't know, all I can provide is what I've gathered from my FP contact.

What ever the case, it does take time to learn the octane and it seems mine did take several hundred miles of driving to get to the point its at now. At the very least we know you need to drive it for a while and it would be good to perform at least 3-5 pulls at 50% throttle from 50 to 75 mph during that time to speed up the octane learning process. It is my understanding that is where the greatest knock will occur, is actually at partial throttle and that's why. Coincidentally that's where 90% of engine failures seem to occur, during normal driving (2k to 4k rpm, intermediate loads like merging onto highways) not WOT, at least when I spend a multitude of hours looking at failed Ecoboost engines of all sizes and flavors to see what the common causes were likely to be.

The octane modifier learn funcon will be learned over the course of a few hundred miles but it can be learned
more quickly by performing 3 to 5 moderate acceleraons. Accelerate from 50-75mph in 4 gear with 50%
thro8le.
If you ran 93 octane in your car consistently before our calibraon was installed, it probably was opmized for the
higher octane. Installing our calibraon essenally returns to a baseline for the PCM and it must relearn to
opmize for the premium fuel. Timing will be retarded unl premium fuel is learned by the new calibraon. It
does take me for the ming to be opmized for premium fuel to make the maximum power.
Hope this helps.
Mike Goodwin
[email protected]
(800) FORD-788
www.fordshowparts.com
www.fordperformance.com
www.performanceparts.ford.com
At any rate, I also found this on the warranty information since there was so much debate on that:

Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and
components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline
and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for
warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Ford Performance and mountune parts are aftermarket parts. The use of Ford Performance and mountune
parts may impact the performance characteristics of other systems of the vehicle. Even when operating properly,
Ford Performance and mountune parts, such as these, have the potential to adversely impact other systems of
the vehicle. If an adverse impact is caused by a warranted Ford Performance or mountune performance pack or
component, the period and coverage of this Ford Performance Limited Warranty applies to the repairs.
The language is pretty clear, your original new vehicle warranty is still intact, including the 60k miles for power-train / 36k bumper to bumper UNLESS the failure is found to be related to the Ford Performance Parts / Upgrades.

In that case your covered up to 36k or 3 years for failures specifically related to the upgrades. I have a hard time imagining if your fuel pump fails or a cam bolt shears off for example they could blame that on the Ford Performance parts without some convincing evidence, you can bet FP will be on that claim as they are on the line for the bill which Ford would otherwise be. And yes, FP is a different company than Ford. They work alongside Ford as a performance division but are their own entity.

In that case it would still be covered under warranty. However it would unfortunately be more difficult if not impossible to do so with another tune...that was one of my reasons for using the Ford Racing X Street springs, hard to blame alignment problems on lowering springs if their Ford's own. There might be more merits to keeping the FP tune on your car for more than 36k, you might be better off leaving it on until you hit 60k. There's a lot of merit to repairs still being covered by Ford up to 60k / 6 years even though they only cover failures found to be directly related to their modifications for 36k / 3y.

FP also stated (for forget where, but it was one of their PR articles about the Ecoboost PP on FP's site) after 60k miles they did not find any abnormal wear over that of a factory EB mustang, so maybe that sheds some more light onto a statement like that. Now the real question is, how fast can these EB's sprint down the 1/4 with just bolt ons?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
It's entirely possible drive cycle is based on a complete collection of specific data and not mileage, I've never had a chance to actually look at the compiler code for a PCM. Perhaps the 200 miles came from the general assumption that's the average time it takes to get all of those parameters / data? I don't know, all I can provide is what I've gathered from my FP contact.

What ever the case, it does take time to learn the octane and it seems mine did take several hundred miles of driving to get to the point its at now. At the very least we know you need to drive it for a while and it would be good to perform at least 3-5 pulls at 50% throttle from 50 to 75 mph during that time to speed up the octane learning process. It is my understanding that is where the greatest knock will occur, is actually at partial throttle and that's why. Coincidentally that's where 90% of engine failures seem to occur, during normal driving (2k to 4k rpm, intermediate loads like merging onto highways) not WOT, at least when I spend a multitude of hours looking at failed Ecoboost engines of all sizes and flavors to see what the common causes were likely to be.
Completely agree, I think we're still learning. Seems like a lot of people would have been in that area when there engines blew. I know a couple people said they were just merging on to the highway. figuring most highways are 55-75 MPH, it is very reasonable to think they were accelerating in that range.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
At any rate, I also found this on the warranty information since there was so much debate on that:

The language is pretty clear, your original new vehicle warranty is still intact, including the 60k miles for power-train / 36k bumper to bumper UNLESS the failure is found to be related to the Ford Performance Parts / Upgrades.

In that case your covered up to 36k or 3 years for failures specifically related to the upgrades. I have a hard time imagining if your fuel pump fails or a cam bolt shears off for example they could blame that on the Ford Performance parts without some convincing evidence, you can bet FP will be on that claim as they are on the line for the bill which Ford would otherwise be. And yes, FP is a different company than Ford. They work alongside Ford as a performance division but are their own entity.

In that case it would still be covered under warranty. However it would unfortunately be more difficult if not impossible to do so with another tune...that was one of my reasons for using the Ford Racing X Street springs, hard to blame alignment problems on lowering springs if their Ford's own. There might be more merits to keeping the FP tune on your car for more than 36k, you might be better off leaving it on until you hit 60k. There's a lot of merit to repairs still being covered by Ford up to 60k / 6 years even though they only cover failures found to be directly related to their modifications for 36k / 3y.

FP also stated (for forget where, but it was one of their PR articles about the Ecoboost PP on FP's site) after 60k miles they did not find any abnormal wear over that of a factory EB mustang, so maybe that sheds some more light onto a statement like that. Now the real question is, how fast can these EB's sprint down the 1/4 with just bolt ons?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf
I'm not saying I disagree with what you are saying here but think the way you're interpreting it is misleading. Now that you've read that, it would probably help if you read the Ford warranty and read it from their perspective. I referenced the section a while back but basically Ford says (loose translation, not a quote) if you modify your vehicle with aftermarket parts, they will not cover damage that may have come as a result of that upgrade.

There is no such thing as "voiding the warranty". That is a saying and not worded correctly at all. Nothing is voiding the warranty, even if you get a tune from another tuner that doesn't warrant it, it's the exact same thing. The only difference here is, that if there is a problem that Ford can blame on the upgrade, Ford Performance will cover it for 3/36. If there is a problem after 3/36 and Ford blames it on the upgrade, FP isn't going to cover it and neither will Ford because you made the modification. Believe me, Ford is very free thinking too on what "could" have been caused by the tune/modifications. For example that cam bolt. They can and most likely will say the extra stress from that tune was likely to blame. As for the fuel pump, well maybe they feel the tune ran the fuel pump at a higher duration than stock which led to early failure. You're very logical, I'm sure you understand my point. I'm not asking anyone to believe me, just pull out your warranty from Ford (don't ask someone) and read it.
Sponsored