Ford Racing ProCal Tune

Pididdle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Performance pac
For 99% of the people who bought the Ecoboost Mustang and thought there was just a little something missing, the FP tune will cure that.
It's smooth, it pulls everywhere up til redline, and it's piece mind (because of the warranty). For me, I wanted to tune and forget, just enjoy driving the car without that constant nagging feeling in the back of my mind. (is this thing gonna blow up).
The combination of the performance package and the FP tune is more performance then I'll ever use on normal roads.

Also, It feels a little faster then my wife's 2104 WRX, and a lot more comfortable, that thing feels like a Tonka toy now.
Sponsored

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked FP this very question and was told that the new air inlet that is part of the CAI "does not have the provision for it". So evidently the stock air inlet provides the input for the sound symposer; once it is removed and replaced with the CAI the sound symposer won't work.
well i wouldn't believe anything else he told you then cause clearly he doesn't know what he's talking about

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
"The sound symposium is turned off by default when you get this tune"

um,why did they do that?I don't want my little engine base turned off.
I wish I'd known they were going to do that... it is interesting because I can't really tell if removing it was good or bad. I think (not sure) the interior is quieter with the windows rolled up...

I definitely can hear more engine turbo noise... I reported the metal sound earlier but that turned out being slight air released through the cai.

I am liking the turbo sound though....

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I have now had the FP tune installed for a week. I have driven over 500 miles so far. I am averaging over 25 mpg which is almost 2 mpg higher than my lifetime average. That is a little surprising, I am sure its because I have not really been able to bang on it much with the cold and wet weather.

Car feels smooth and more powerful. If temps rise at all and things dry up I will do some 0-30 pulls and compare to before I upgraded the tune.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I asked FP this very question and was told that the new air inlet that is part of the CAI "does not have the provision for it". So evidently the stock air inlet provides the input for the sound symposer; once it is removed and replaced with the CAI the sound symposer won't work.
Wow really, a FP rep said that? He's obviously clueless. He's probably thinking it is like the physical sound pipe they used on the GTs that pumped sound into the passenger compartment and knows nothing about the EB. The sound symposer uses a microphone in the back center of the headliner for input and then plays back sound through the speakers. It's actually a lot more intelligent then just pumping in sound, that's why there's a microphone. It does noise cancellation and desired sound creation. The noise cancellation creates a sound wave that is out of phase with what is picked up from the microphone and then played back but it doesn't end there, they create/inject the desired sound.

I actually like the sound symposer, too bad they disabled it. Maybe they disabled it so you get more of the intake/turbo sound in the car? Like [MENTION=14433]jtmat[/MENTION] said, at first he didn't like it but now he likes the sound. Maybe FP was going for that turbo performance sound experience vs the sound symposer seems to try to emulate more of a performance engine sound.

Sponsored

Bennington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot ecoboost
Wow really, a FP rep said that? He's obviously clueless. He's probably thinking it is like the physical sound pipe they used on the GTs that pumped sound into the passenger compartment and knows nothing about the EB. The sound symposer uses a microphone in the back center of the headliner for input and then plays back sound through the speakers. It's actually a lot more intelligent then just pumping in sound, that's why there's a microphone. It does noise cancellation and desired sound creation. The noise cancellation creates a sound wave that is out of phase with what is picked up from the microphone and then played back but it doesn't end there, they create/inject the desired sound.

I actually like the sound symposer, too bad they disabled it. Maybe they disabled it so you get more of the intake/turbo sound in the car? Like [MENTION=14433]jtmat[/MENTION] said, at first he didn't like it but now he likes the sound. Maybe FP was going for that turbo performance sound experience vs the sound symposer seems to try to emulate more of a performance engine sound.
My past experiences with the clowns at Ford/Racing/Performance is that the ones answering the questions usually have less answers than you do. They are just average customer service reps reading from a screen that go into panic mode when they have to go off script.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
...I actually like the sound symposer, too bad they disabled it. Maybe they disabled it so you get more of the intake/turbo sound in the car? Like [MENTION=14433]jtmat[/MENTION] said, at first he didn't like it but now he likes the sound. Maybe FP was going for that turbo performance sound experience vs the sound symposer seems to try to emulate more of a performance engine sound.
I wonder if someone can figure out how to re-enable it, similar to the incredible amount of useful information members are compiling in the "modifying as-built data" thread..... :shrug:

PS - I installed the CAI last night and went for a test drive this morning, so I will be able to analyze if the tune itself disables the symposer, or if the CAI disabled it. If the symposer is now not working, I won't miss it - the CAI sound is at least as deep as what I experienced in-cabin before with the symposer working... plus I can hear more turbo sound which is even better.

I am getting the tune installed Thursday and will see if the CAI intake sound is still as deep after then. If not, that means the symposer was still working with the CAI installed. If so, I guess the CAI did disable it - but that's okay because it still sounds great.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Per a couple of requests.... top is the turbo sound from Ford Performance tune with CAI (I'm still not sold you can learn a lot from online videos, but here you go... also, done with an iPhone 6 - no mic):

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]bZYflOTgq7I[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]l_kSAQ6y2gM[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]FhCdkcrnZHA[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]dNrPYnBnR00[/MEDIA]"]

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if someone can figure out how to re-enable it, similar to the incredible amount of useful information members are compiling in the "modifying as-built data" thread..... :shrug:
Great question but I wonder if it would even be desirable? I mean FP went out of their way to disable it. It would have nothing to do with the performance tables they were adjusting for the tune. I could only imagine they got the idea and tested it out and preferred the sound without the symposer. Hearing others that like the sound is encouraging.

I probably can't say this without sounding negative but I'm not a 4 cylinder guy. This is my 6th Mustang, my first was a 67 Fastback GTA when I was 16 and I love the V8s. However, I'm not so closed minded as some to not to be able to enjoy other things. I love the lighter front end, feels more peppy/spirited. I like the efficiency of the turbo. Plus as my DD, I need the car a bit quieter. With a 1 hour + commute, I end up on business calls and need to be able to hear and them hear me. My 06 GT was terrible for that but sounded great! Even as far as 4 cylinder cars go, I think this one doesn't sound too good from outside the car. I like my neighbor's WRX, for a 4 cylinder, his sounds good. From inside the car with the sound symposer, I like the sound.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Per a couple of requests.... top is the turbo sound from Ford Performance tune with CAI (I'm still not sold you can learn a lot from online videos, but here you go... also, done with an iPhone 6 - no mic)
It actually does help, thanks for posting. Another clip that would be nice is with the top up driving the car, how much do you hear?

If I remember correctly you got Magnaflow mufflers right? From the sound, it sounds more like the Magnaflow Competition mufflers rather than the street. The competition were a little too loud and raspy for me, I got the street. I ask because a lot of what I hear in the videos sounds like exhaust rather than intake/engine.

Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Great question but I wonder if it would even be desirable? I mean FP went out of their way to disable it. It would have nothing to do with the performance tables they were adjusting for the tune. I could only imagine they got the idea and tested it out and preferred the sound without the symposer. Hearing others that like the sound is encouraging.

I probably can't say this without sounding negative but I'm not a 4 cylinder guy. This is my 6th Mustang, my first was a 67 Fastback GTA when I was 16 and I love the V8s. However, I'm not so closed minded as some to not to be able to enjoy other things. I love the lighter front end, feels more peppy/spirited. I like the efficiency of the turbo. Plus as my DD, I need the car a bit quieter. With a 1 hour + commute, I end up on business calls and need to be able to hear and them hear me. My 06 GT was terrible for that but sounded great! Even as far as 4 cylinder cars go, I think this one doesn't sound too good from outside the car. I like my neighbor's WRX, for a 4 cylinder, his sounds good. From inside the car with the sound symposer, I like the sound.
Nah, I feel ya, man. I love my EB, but I'm not a 4 cylinder guy either. I like the sound from inside my car. When I go back to back from my TDI Jetta to my Mustang I really notice how much better the Mustang sounds inside.
I heard a Focus ST at the dealer Friday that sounded pretty good. It had a raw sound too it, not that deep muffled sound you often hear with 4 cylinder cars.
I've been contemplating Flowmaster Outlaws recently. My resonator delete should be going in on Christmas Eve. Looking forward to get a little bit more volume out of the car.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
It actually does help, thanks for posting. Another clip that would be nice is with the top up driving the car, how much do you hear?

If I remember correctly you got Magnaflow mufflers right? From the sound, it sounds more like the Magnaflow Competition mufflers rather than the street. The competition were a little too loud and raspy for me, I got the street. I ask because a lot of what I hear in the videos sounds like exhaust rather than intake/engine.
I created my own.... ordered some mufflers and had them welded on... SummitRaching.com: Magnaflow #10415

Top up? Hear what? I don't follow. Sorry... :eek:

With all the windows up and driving in d the car does not sound loud at all, if that what you are asking. If I put it in S then it revs like crazy. Windows down I can hear muffler and turbo sound... before I think I could hear the muffler sound inside the car louder... so I'm guessing the sound symp pumped that in....

I honestly can't tell because now there are new sounds of the turbo. It is one of those things.... lots of things changed... sounds good to me now..

And then I have tire noise because my back two tires need to be replaced. That does not help.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I created my own.... ordered some mufflers and had them welded on... SummitRaching.com: Magnaflow #10415

Top up? Hear what? I don't follow. Sorry... :eek:

With all the windows up and driving in d the car does not sound loud at all, if that what you are asking. If I put it in S then it revs like crazy. Windows down I can hear muffler and turbo sound... before I think I could hear the muffler sound inside the car louder... so I'm guessing the sound symp pumped that in....

I honestly can't tell because now there are new sounds of the turbo. It is one of those things.... lots of things changed... sounds good to me now..

And then I have tire noise because my back two tires need to be replaced. That does not help.
I was thinking top up driving to hear how the intake sounds but without a before and after, not sure how much good it would do. Probably your description combined with the clips above is enough. I think the difference is with the intake open, you're hearing the blow off, I could hear it in your video.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I was thinking top up driving to hear how the intake sounds but without a before and after, not sure how much good it would do. Probably your description combined with the clips above is enough. I think the difference is with the intake open, you're hearing the blow off, I could hear it in your video.
Guess you are talking about windows up driving? I'm in MD it is cold/raining to have the vert top down.

I did do a video like that but the road noise from the tires overtook everything. Plus, it just sounds like a bunch of engine... not that special.

I can't wait until the spring when I have the tires replaced, top down, turbo sound going and mufflers... it should be a nice sounding car in its own right.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Okay I'm a tune newbie and need some information. I just received my tune. Per suggesions on this thread and also from FP, I intend to save time at the dealership that will be installing it on my Mustang by installing it on my own laptop beforehand (so that I can keep it in case it is needed for the future), and then taking it to the dealer next week for the ASE tech to install it on the Mustang.

Last night I followed the very limited instructions included with the kit, registered at FP with my authorization code, and downloaded the file onto my laptop. However it looks to me like what was downloaded was an "empty" ProCal program with no files or tune or whatever makes it complete (see attached photo).

My question: is this all that I need to do - or do I still need to connect the port module included in the kit and install the tune from that onto the ProCal software that is now on my laptop to get it ready for the tech. If I need to do more, please walk me through how to do that.

The ASE shop I took mine to said to download the ProCal software to my laptop first. So I did that while waiting for them to install the CAI. When the shop took over, after plugging it in to the car, the information will populate and then follow the instructions online/included to obtain the correct tune file and upload it to your car(which looks like you already got the tune file so ur good on that part). Me installing the software (as in the Procal interface) was strictly for saving time/money. But the shop were the ones that clicked download LOL.
Sponsored