Forced Induction for Road Course

Aero1900

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Got a question for those of you with forced induction experience.

I just bought a Mach 1 that I'm going to do a lot of track days with. I have access to a road course that runs 30 minute sessions. I bought the Mach 1 because it's the right mustang for the track. It's got the extra cooling bits (pp radiator, oil cooler, diff cooler, trans cooler and the Tremec 6 speed)

I likely will keep it mostly stock, but I've been reading about the different supercharger kits and issues with temperatures. My question is; is there a supercharger set up that I could do that is either mild enough or has enough cooling capacity to run track days with? Heat soak, high oil temps, high coolant temps, knock/ detonation etc are my big concerns.

I understand that centrifugal superchargers produce less heat but I'm intrigued by the whipple. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I can’t imagine the cats living through it. Even still, I’d drop the boost as low as you can get it for track days. Whipple has a 4.25” pulley that I think would be around 8 psi.

In an interview with Brian Wolfe, he talked some about the amount of effort they put into the cooling system of the gt500 and why. It was significant.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can’t imagine the cats living through it. Even still, I’d drop the boost as low as you can get it for track days. Whipple has a 4.25” pulley that I think would be around 8 psi.

In an interview with Brian Wolfe, he talked some about the amount of effort they put into the cooling system of the gt500 and why. It was significant.
Yeah, heat management with these cars is already a nightmare, let alone making that much power. I think that's a big reason they went with that giant hood extractor.

I agree that the cats would be on borrowed time, 100%. Turbos would be better here.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
You would also be introducing another problem with fuel consumption. On track supercharged coyotes drink gas, to the point you have to fill up every 3-5 laps. And no I'm not exaggerating! The GT500s are worse. You'd run out of gas before you over heated lol! I would stick NA for all track experiences as you'd more than likely end up loosing to an NA car after you get heat soak, blow your cats, or run out of gas :like:

Last edited:

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP, you are in FL. I think you are going to be asking A LOT out of your cooling system, way more than anyone north of folks like me and you. The good news is, you can get your car out on the track now, and see how all of it shakes out, and not have to worry about cooling, even in 100 degrees.

Two friends run M1's in our group, one HP, one non-HP, and they are realizing suspension is the first thing that needs changing.

OP
OP
Aero1900

Aero1900

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks everyone for the responses. Appreciate it

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I am going through that journey. A lot depends on the ambient temps. Anything above 80F is a problem even with a bunch of cooling mods. Below 70F - car runs great. Can't imagine making it work reliably in Florida. I am kind of thinking to do bigger pully next to drop the boost.

My personal advice - don't do it 😄

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done track+FI on a previous car (not a mustang) it was a turbo kit.

look, your stock colling syatem was designed for your stock horsepower. If you add 50% more power, you need to shed 50% more heat. Thermodynamics being what it is, theres no real way around that. Even NA mods are not immune.

best case scenario, you do heavy cooling system upgrades and then you can worry and watch your gauges for your time on track instead of driving it and enjoying it. That was my experience. Constantly staring at temp gauges was not the funnest way to lap.

so if you intend to track a lot, definitely stay NA unless you really want a lot of hassle, boxed radiator,cut up hood, and still staring at gauges for your entire session.

Concretevol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I track my GT350 quite a bit. I would question whether it is even beneficial to go to forced induction, let alone worth the additional problems. Unless you are running on a really fast/long track forced induction won't necessarily make you faster.

Sponsored

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
A centrifugal is a better choice due to power delivery. You state you want to keep it stock so don't do it. You need to get air in and out of the engine compartment which requires sealed ducting cooling, large oil cooler to survive in the heat. You will be cutting up your car otherwise you will be making an investment that will be very disappointing after 15minutes of heat soak.

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
I'll let you you know after Thursday. Got my first road course (Charlotte Roval) coming up. Roush Stage 2.

My plan is to take it easy and run only a handful of hot laps. I won't run the whole 20 mins session x 3. due to the heat (mid 80s).

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I'll let you you know after Thursday. Got my first road course (Charlotte Roval) coming up. Roush Stage 2.

My plan is to take it easy and run only a handful of hot laps. I won't run the whole 20 mins session x 3. due to the heat (mid 80s).
You'll more than likely be fine if you're only running a few hot laps, but watch your fuel consumption. I have a friend who is roush stage 3 and he can only last 15 minutes before he's out of gas. But he is one hell of a driver and hauling ass every lap!

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i think you will be unpleasantly surprised at how much harder the 30 minute session is on her than the 20s some run. my zl1 has 11 coolers trying to tame a tiny blower, and after a 20 minute session i have no idea how things aren't melted under the hood.

there is also a procharger video where they try to run a few laps on track in a red s550...no bueno, test ended early.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Mike, do you know by any chance what pulley would be a good fit for 2018+ roush supercharger to reduce the boost? Can a stock tune be used with bigger pulley without issues?
Sponsored