Flat foot shifting

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Yes the new Mach 1 has this no lift shift feature. Speed Pheamond on YOUTUBE did a demo of this technology recently.
Sponsored

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
As an ex-WRX owner I can put my .02 in. On my 13 with the Cobb AP, you had the option of NLS. With this setting, a soft rev limiter was set to your choosing that would only kick in while the clutch was pressed in and car in motion. In N or legitimate red line the normal limiter was in play. Keep the gas floored when shifting, and the revs would only drop to what your setting was set to when the clutch was depressed. Supposed to keep the turbo spooled up more than normal driving, there was a disclaimer saying increased wear was a possibility.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Computer aided...
In many ways you kids have it so much easier these days. If we wanted a tune we had to find someone with a Sun machine that knew how to recurve a distributor, then find a guy who could recalibrate a Quadrajet (or a big Holley). We'd do our own headers. For the street it was hard to beat most of the GM factory cams.

I'm nostalgic about those days but I sure wouldn't want to go back. Even stock these new GTs are so much faster and quicker than our best efforts in those days.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
i agree.

We never had a problem at all with transmissions back in the day.You really needed though to have installed a Hurst shifter or at least changed out the bushings in your factory GM shifter, because missing a shift could be disasterous to your motor. You’d be OK if you had hydraulic lifters but if you were running solid lifters like many hi-po GM cars did you could be in real trouble.

No offense - but I learned how to tear apart various GM 4 speeds because they couldn't handle high HP abuse. I'm sure someone could say "I couldn't drive a stick" - sure -but the guy who taught me to fix my first Muncie 4 speed (at the track) was a guy racing Super Stocks for a living. I'll never forget him telling me "You'll be able to do this blindfolded if you keep racing." Heck, he had a bucket full of Muncie parts in his trailer.

Power always find the weak link. And after upgrading the rear end and the clutch in my old '67 Chevelle - the transmission became the weak link. Of course I was poor - so forking out for any of the HD aftermarket transmissions were way out of my price range.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No offense - but I learned how to tear apart various GM 4 speeds because they couldn't handle high HP abuse. I'm sure someone could say "I couldn't drive a stick" - sure -but the guy who taught me to fix my first Muncie 4 speed (at the track) was a guy racing Super Stocks for a living. I'll never forget him telling me "You'll be able to do this blindfolded if you keep racing." Heck, he had a bucket full of Muncie parts in his trailer.

Power always find the weak link. And after upgrading the rear end and the clutch in my old '67 Chevelle - the transmission became the weak link. Of course I was poor - so forking out for any of the HD aftermarket transmissions were way out of my price range.

None taken. We just never had any transmission trouble to speak of, but plenty of blown motors. And if HD aftermarket transmissions existed in the late '60s, they must have been for racing applications. The strongest thing we could ever find was an M-22.

Wyzz Kydd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
Manual 1LEs come with NLS stock. I don't know about the Mach 1, but in the 1LE you have to engage NLS from a stop. Track mode, engage clutch, WOT, wait for revs to drop to about 3K, then launch and shift as usual except WOT must be maintained throughout shifting.

To me it feels pretty unnatural. I've done it a few times, but short of a drag race on a track I doubt I'll use it again.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
None taken. We just never had any transmission trouble to speak of, but plenty of blown motors. And if HD aftermarket transmissions existed in the late '60s, they must have been for racing applications. The strongest thing we could ever find was an M-22.
The M-21 and 22 did okay behind the last big block I had in the Chevelle, but they had their moments. Of course this was the late 80s and I was poor as dirt. Used to snag transmissions from the junkyard and tear them apart and keep the good hard parts in a tool box in the trunk.

OP
OP
Rohenkent1

Rohenkent1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rohen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
If I buy the wot box from lethal performance that has the 2 step ,no lift shift and I get that installed that won’t hurt my transmission or fuck up my fuel pump or anything else on my 2019 gt manual ?

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
If I buy the wot box from lethal performance that has the 2 step ,no lift shift and I get that installed that won’t hurt my transmission or fuck up my fuel pump or anything else on my 2019 gt manual ?
It won’t hurt your fuel pump

Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
In many ways you kids have it so much easier these days. If we wanted a tune we had to find someone with a Sun machine that knew how to recurve a distributor, then find a guy who could recalibrate a Quadrajet (or a big Holley). We'd do our own headers. For the street it was hard to beat most of the GM factory cams.

I'm nostalgic about those days but I sure wouldn't want to go back. Even stock these new GTs are so much faster and quicker than our best efforts in those days.
Ahh the old Quadrajet! If you found someone that would take the tune it you was fortunate!

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh the old Quadrajet! If you found someone that would take the tune it you was fortunate!
They need to record the sound of the secondaries on a properly tuned QJet opening up and pipe that in to the cabin. I loved the QJet. It was a pain to learn to tune and fix the few common issues it had - but it was no contest when compared to anything else back then (carb wise) for power, off idle characteristics and drive-ability.

Not to mention, I could get them for free - since not many people bothered to learn about them and went to a Holley or Edelbrock carb.

The thing with the QJet that was overlooked A LOT - was that it was used SO WIDELY by GM, that the same basic carb came on a small block Chevrolet and a big block. So a QJet tuned for a big block would get put on a small block and people would say "it runs like crap".....

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Certainly did have a noticeable sound as it inhaled . SBC needed higher RPMs to use the CFM off the secondaries. Carb had to be driven so to speak.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Certainly did have a noticeable sound as it inhaled . SBC needed higher RPMs to use the CFM off the secondaries. Carb had to be driven so to speak.
You, ctanddc and Lxmike are both exactly right. It sounded like it was trying to suck the car’s hood right through the secondaries. The only thing I ever owned that sounded any better were Tri-Power Goats. Yes, today’s cars are much faster but those old cars had a certain brutality about them that can’t be explained if you didn’t experience it.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
The NLS feature is on all 2018+ manual transmissions. Nothing special about the Mach 1 or Bullitt.
Sponsored