Sponsored

2016 mustang gt pp - shifting question

Calvin_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
hi, im new to driving stick shift, and i wanted to know if in the 2016 gt that when you shift, is it normal that it makes a rattle sound...or something similar to a thud when shifting? thanks for all replies.
Sponsored

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
^ What he said.

Although the thump is annoying, it is normal.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
lol another reason I bought an auto, the MT82 in 2011 was finicky

Bert03GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Thud is normal, rattle however ive never heard on mine. Are you letting out of the clutch to soon? If you havent order a clutch spring from steeda asap. make a huge difference.

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
My transmission made all sorts of weird noises for the first 10k miles or so. Most of them went away, eventually.

This is an obnoxiously noisy transmission, overall. As long as it drops smoothly into the gates, you're OK.

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Yeah this thing definitely has its little foibles. I'm getting used to it too. I went through an automatic transmission in my '06 GT muttering as it slowly began to crap out and do weird stuff about how I should have got a manual. Just my luck the manual transmissions in these are kind of strange? Sketchy? Not really sure what quality would best describe it lol. I just know that I'm sitting here thanking myself for springing for the extended warranty. As long as I'm fully pushing in the clutch and not grinding shit, and engaging it properly then fuck it. If something goes wrong it'll just be Ford's problem lol.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I have driven stick for years. But not lately years. My new CS is a manual (no regrets whatsoever) but 1st and 2nd I can't figure out. Times it's smooth, other times not. Tried little gas, no gas , lotsa gas. Sometimes smooth, other times thud and/or jump. Is this what everyone is talking shout with the MT82? Or did I forget how to drive stick��

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Taking out that clutch spring helps get rid of the artificial and vague feel of the pedal and the clutch engagement. Otherwise, stick is just a more visceral experience. I've never driven stick that didn't have soft bushings thru the powertrain, driveline "lash" and noisy throw out bearings.
My Genesis was 10x worse than the Mustang though. that tranny was a real bitch to drive. After having in the dealer 3x times and the standard "no fault detected" shrug from dealer service, I beat the hell out of it. Literally. Best thing I (and others) did for that tranny after trying all the fancy fluids...was to put ATF in the thing.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Also stock shifter bushing has too much play in it. So change it out or swap shifters. Transmission bushing also helps, along with clutch line swap to stainless steel braided or steel. Then like others said remove clutch assist spring and leave out or change with steeda assist spring. Fluid swap also helps out a lot. MT-82 stock fluid does not work well especially when cold.
Sponsored