Sponsored

Changing shifting knob on 2018 or 2019 manual GT?

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a sweet Bullitt cueball shift knob that I was pretty psyched to put on my 2019GT. The problem is, I can't unscrew the original. I've tried turning it pretty hard, but I can't get the loctite seal or what ever they used at the factory to break. I'm torquing it the point where it is starting to twist the stick and I'm concerned about messing it linkage or whatever connects the stick into the tranny. I dialed up a bunch of videos on youtube and people seem to be just twisting it off. I refuse to put a wrench on it.

Has anyone else had problems removing the factory shift knob?
Sponsored

505bbjason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT, PP1, A10, 301A 1968 El Camino
Make sure you are just turning the knob and not the reverse lock out collar as well. It takes some force, but you should be able to break it loose by hand.

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
Isn't there a place to put a wrench on the stem right below the shift knob so you can keep it from turning and doing damage to the linkage while you turn the knob?

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I haven't tried to remove mine yet, but I've heard they can be tough to break loose. Here's the one I'm going to install.

full.png

Sponsored

Phahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red gt premium, pp, recaro
I bought a sweet Bullitt cueball shift knob that I was pretty psyched to put on my 2019GT. The problem is, I can't unscrew the original. I've tried turning it pretty hard, but I can't get the loctite seal or what ever they used at the factory to break. I'm torquing it the point where it is starting to twist the stick and I'm concerned about messing it linkage or whatever connects the stick into the tranny. I dialed up a bunch of videos on youtube and people seem to be just twisting it off. I refuse to put a wrench on it.

Mine was super stuck then I used Channel locks and got it off. Worked like a charm. To preserve the original shift knob I wrapped a rag around it.

sfs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt

be sure you have placed the shifter in reverse before unscrewing the oem shift knob.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I haven't tried to remove mine yet, but I've heard they can be tough to break loose. Here's the one I'm going to install.

full.png
Mine came loose while shifting last year. I installed this exact one in my Lightning Blue 18. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Mine came loose while shifting last year. I installed this exact one in my Lightning Blue 18. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.
I've got an '18 LB PP2. Looks like it's a pretty good match. Did you put any loctite on the new one or just screw it on?

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I've got an '18 LB PP2. Looks like it's a pretty good match. Did you put any loctite on the new one or just screw it on?
I used red loctite between the threads of the ball and brass insert after torquing the jam nut to the brass insert.

Sponsored

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
Mine came off by hand but it took some force. Also had to back off the new knob about 4-5 turns for the reverse lock to work.
392958.jpg

ShriverS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/ 50 Year Appearance Pack
The previous owner of my '15 GT used red Loctite when installing an aftermarket knob from CJPP, likely after watching Bill do the same in their instruction video. I ended up using a heat gun and rubber strap wrench to get the knob off.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
The go to meme every time this issue comes up.....

hit-it-with-your-purse.jpg
Sponsored