FL-500-S Changed ?

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So, one time I bought a quart of 5-20 Motorcraft oil from the dealer and later that week a quart from Walmart. They looked the same, but the part number ended in "W" on the Walmart bottle. Now, I buy all my oil and filters from the dealer. The price difference is negligible.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I will take you word for it, but if you have a spicific artical in mind. I'll have a look. A quick scan of the fourm, see he mentions Fram as a good filter ............ -10 points
You'd have to scan the forums there are MANY tests with MC filters. Fram USED to be good and I'm not sure who "he" is you are referring to the actual Bob has been dead for years.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
So, one time I bought a quart of 5-20 Motorcraft oil from the dealer and later that week a quart from Walmart. They looked the same, but the part number ended in "W" on the Walmart bottle. Now, I buy all my oil and filters from the dealer. The price difference is negligible.
Lots of places have a different part number for what they directly sell vs what they sell through resellers. It's how they track where an item came from.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Oil filters are not a hill I 'm willing die on. Don't need Ford; logos for consumables, or Bob whomever.

You're the one saying he had the inside soup. Turns out just another web site/forum .

Run Castrol oil that could be a sin to some. No thanks i will stick with what I know. Backed by personal experience. Not webpage blather.

Cheers

Sponsored

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I worked for "the world's largest manufacturer of diesel engines" for many years. The company did not make their own oil filters but the various suppliers that made them had to make them to our specs which were considerably different from some filters the same suppliers made for other labels.
It doesn't matter so much who makes them as whose specs the filters are made to.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Oil filters are not a hill I 'm willing die on. Don't need Ford; logos for consumables, or Bob whomever.

You're the one saying he had the inside soup. Turns out just another web site/forum .

Run Castrol oil that could be a sin to some. No thanks i will stick with what I know. Backed by personal experience. Not webpage blather.

Cheers
I never said there was some inside scoop, I just suggested you go do some reading.

My dad ran Fram on his F-series for 30+yrs and never had an issue, meanwhile Fram has one of the worst reputations for quality. Based on his experiences he'd probably say Fram is just perfectly fine.
I've also had a CVT Nissan Altima that NEVER failed... based on that Nissan CVT's are just great and not an issue.... oh wait, pretty sure that not really true.

Personal experience is circumstance. You can have the BEST brand in the world and be one of the few people that had a failure, which is still going to tarnish that brand for you personally and make you move on. Meanwhile you could buy the worst possible brand and be one of the few that have never had an issue, that will make you trust them and say poo to those that had issues.

The whole point of doing research is to minimize the chance of being one of the people that has an issue.

People swear by spending top dollar on AMSoil. others run their cars for years with Castrol or Motorcraft. In reality, few people that do these kinds of tests are ever going keep their car long enough to see if spending the extra money paid off in any way at all. I've never seen anyone have engine issues at 150K+ and say "Damn if I spent more on oil I could have gone 200K."

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
few people that do these kinds of tests are ever going keep their car long enough to see if spending the extra money paid off in any way at all.
more like they never pay for a tear-down to see if oil was in any way a contributor to unexpected wear. Keep the oil reasonably 'clean' and pretty much anything will work. Considering how dirt cheap oil is, even "full synthetic" at a mere $5 a quart I don't get the point of trying to save money on oil or filters.

Fram had a couple of bad years where the threads were cut improperly that lead to filters blowing off. But that hasn't been true in ages and frankly the same damn contract manufacturer makes multiple "brands" so X is better than Y is not infrequently wholly without merit.

I buy whatever is at a good enough price.

OP
OP
boB

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Update: went to the local Walmart that did not have filters a week ago. They now have a batch and all of them have 14 flutes. Went to Autozone and they had just one but it was 31 flutes so I got it.
Ford has a website about counterfeit parts and would like to hear about any we have seen that are suspect. I emailed them, we will see what they say.

Last edited:

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I don't use Fram filters because I've seen a few videos of them cut open and they typically have much less actual filter media than other brands. As far as the filter being counterfeit I would highly doubt Walmart is getting counterfeit parts. Purolator probably switched the housing to be more inline with their current filter housing.

Sponsored

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Not the same scenario but on modern Kia engines (I would say 2013-up) you can see a difference on oil pressure between OEM and aftermarket oil filters.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Not the same scenario but on modern Kia engines (I would say 2013-up) you can see a difference on oil pressure between OEM and aftermarket oil filters.
Which was the higher pressure? I assume higher is better

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Which was the higher pressure? I assume higher is better
On the Kia scenario, the engines with aftermarket oil filter were running on low engine oil pressure. There were a lot of engine failures that were denied warranty due to the aftermarket filter.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I realize this is 4 month old thread, just purchased a FL500S from Ford dealer, 14 flutes and other sites mention change from 30 to 14.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
If the filter wrench you have no longer fits.....it matters 😉
I hand tighten my filters so I haven't needed to use a filter wrench for years.
Sponsored

Reactions: GTP