Sponsored

Changed MT-82 and Diff Fluid - BG Products/Optimum Performance

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I want to first give a shout out to Optimum Performance for putting this kit together. I am one that will scrutinize the details prior to purchasing parts/fluids/tires etc. Optimum makes an awesome kit for anyone that is interested in using BG Products Syncho Shift II and their differential fluid.

After a lot of research on here, I settled on the BG Sychro Shift II/LS Guard differential fluid. I did email BG directly to confirm the Synchro Shift II fluid met Ford spec, in case it ever came into question. I went with the 75w140 due to the hot Florida summers and the fact the exhaust is constantly baking the rear diff.

I rented a lift at a local garage to do the dirty work, which was a pretty sweet experience. The kit OP puts together has instructions for both the trans and diff, pumps/hoses for the trans and diff, thread tape for the diff drain/fill plugs and is packaged meticulously. The shop owner was equally impressed.

The service itself was super easy with the car in the air. I was surprised by the fact that both fluids looked pretty good coming out (40k, original fluid). The trans fluid was a little dark and man that stuff is thin.

I can 100% say I do feel a difference in shifting after changing it. It feels smoother than when I drove there with the factory fluid. Never really had lockout issues so I can't speak to that, but it just felt better changing gears. I imagine this has to do with the change in the fluid viscosity. The rear, can't really speak to. The Torsen is business as usual and I haven't hammered on it to notice if there's any change in lockup. To clarify, the kit includes a limited slip modifier so there's no need to add any. Some debate the effectiveness of it with the Torsen anyway.

1642901741127.png
1642901681886.png

1642901715247.png

1642901761480.png

1642901782547.png

1642901801520.png
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I want to first give a shout out to Optimum Performance for putting this kit together. I am one that will scrutinize the details prior to purchasing parts/fluids/tires etc. Optimum makes an awesome kit for anyone that is interested in using BG Products Syncho Shift II and their differential fluid.

After a lot of research on here, I settled on the BG Sychro Shift II/LS Guard differential fluid. I did email BG directly to confirm the Synchro Shift II fluid met Ford spec, in case it ever came into question. I went with the 75w140 due to the hot Florida summers and the fact the exhaust is constantly baking the rear diff.

I rented a lift at a local garage to do the dirty work, which was a pretty sweet experience. The kit OP puts together has instructions for both the trans and diff, pumps/hoses for the trans and diff, thread tape for the diff drain/fill plugs and is packaged meticulously. The shop owner was equally impressed.

The service itself was super easy with the car in the air. I was surprised by the fact that both fluids looked pretty good coming out (40k, original fluid). The trans fluid was a little dark and man that stuff is thin.

I can 100% say I do feel a difference in shifting after changing it. It feels smoother than when I drove there with the factory fluid. Never really had lockout issues so I can't speak to that, but it just felt better changing gears. I imagine this has to do with the change in the fluid viscosity. The rear, can't really speak to. The Torsen is business as usual and I haven't hammered on it to notice if there's any change in lockup. To clarify, the kit includes a limited slip modifier so there's no need to add any. Some debate the effectiveness of it with the Torsen anyway.

1642901741127.png
1642901681886.png

1642901715247.png

1642901761480.png

1642901782547.png

1642901801520.png
Cool! I just picked up the exact same fluids for my car. I had to order the pump that fits quart size bottles and then I’ll knock mine out. Are there torque specs for the fill and drain plugs?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If it’s not too much trouble, would you mind posting the instructions on here?

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Cool! I just picked up the exact same fluids for my car. I had to order the pump that fits quart size bottles and then I’ll knock mine out. Are there torque specs for the fill and drain plugs?
Awesome!

25 ft lb for the diff drain/fill plugs and 26 ft lb for the trans. The trans uses an 8mm allen key, so I didn't torque it. Just got it snug and a little extra. The trans doesn't require thread tape. I'm not 100% sure you have to use it on the diff plugs, as it already had some stuff on the factory but I used it per the kit's instructions.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Awesome!

25 ft lb for the diff drain/fill plugs and 26 ft lb for the trans. The trans uses an 8mm allen key, so I didn't torque it. Just got it snug and a little extra. The trans doesn't require thread tape. I'm not 100% sure you have to use it on the diff plugs, as it already had some stuff on the factory but I used it per the kit's instructions.
Copy that. Thank you! As far as capacity goes, is 2.75 quarts for the tranny and 2 full quarts for the differential about right?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If it’s not too much trouble, would you mind posting the instructions on here?
I don't have them to grab currently, but the majority of the instructions pertained to their kit specifically with the pumps/hose lengths to use and the measuring cup for leftover fluid.

I will give you my rundown:

Starting with rear diff:

Remove fill plug, 3/8 ratchet
Wipe debris from plug/magnet
Remove drain plug, 3/8 ratchet, allow fluid to drain for 5-10min
Wipe debris from plug/magnet

Use 2-3 wraps of thread tape (per instructions) on drain plug, wipe plug area clean, install plug. Torque to 25 ft lbs.

Fill fluid to capacity - you'll want a pump/hose for this, there's no way to get the bottle anywhere near level do let gravity do the work.

Use 2-3 wraps of thread tape on fill plug, wipe area clean, install plug. Torque to 25 ft lbs.

Transmission:

Remove fill plug with 8mm allen key - space is tight, there's only one way to fit it. Prepare for a little dribble of fluid depending on how full the factory fill was.
Wipe debris from plug
Remove drain plug (8mm allen), allow fluid drain for 5-10min
Wipe debris from plug

Wipe excess fluid/debris from plug area, re-install drain plug (no thread tape).

Using pump/hose fill transmission to capacity.

Wipe excess fluid/debris from plug area, re-install fill plug (no thread tape).

Torque specs are 26 ft lbs for trans plug, but again, allen, so I didn't torque just did snug plus a little more.

Hopefully that helps!

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I’m probably on my 6th kit of both fluids by now.. the 140W performs well during track duty. I also have the exhaust wrapped by the diff to reduce temperatures.
I recently swapped the rear gearing, upon checking the Ring and Pinion.. they were pristine, no signs of wear or temperature stress.

BG FTW..!! And the way OP put the kit together is worth the extra cost over others.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m probably on my 6th kit of both fluids by now.. the 140W performs well during track duty. I also have the exhaust wrapped by the diff to reduce temperatures.
I recently swapped the rear gearing, upon checking the Ring and Pinion.. they were pristine, no signs of wear or temperature stress.

BG FTW..!! And the way OP put the kit together is worth the extra cost over others.
Awesome, that's good to hear you've kept using it. I was considering the exhaust wrap as well.

Agreed - as infrequent as this is done, I don't mind spending extra on the care put into this kit. Top notch fluids and supporting a fellow Mustang enthusiast and small business owner!

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
200 pumps on the trans fluid bottle to get it full.
I counted.........

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
200 pumps on the trans fluid bottle to get it full.
I counted.........
LOL yeah there was a lot of pumping involved. The diff fluid was way worse just because of the viscosity. Got a good bicep workout in lol.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
BG best of brand .... Optimum Performance, also a customer. Good service, quick turnaround from order to shipping.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just received my quart size bottle pump from Amazon today. Time for me to get in on the action too.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The service manual (2019) does not say to use teflon tape but then it also does not say to reinstall the drain plug before filling the transmission either. I think I will reinstall the drain plug before filling and probably use tape (or pipe dope) anyway. ;)

Deleted member 35644

Thanks for posting. Always nice to see someone taking care of his ride. Damn I wish I had access to a lift like that.
Sponsored