Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Driving on track is a great way to grow as a driver and have some fun driving at speed in a safe environment. Going out for your first time can be rather intimidating but with the right preparation, it can be a relaxed and fun experience.

How to Sign Up

drivenasa.com
scca.com
chintrackdays.com
motorsportsreg.com
tracknightinamerica.com

Preparation

Wheels & Tires:
Check that your lug nuts are torqued to spec. Tires should have plenty of life with no chords showing. Tires that have been plugged to fix a leak should be avoided as the plugs can fail.

Engine: Fresh oil is recommended but not necessary. Check for any leaks that could spill onto the track. Oil and coolant can be slippery which could cause a dangerous situation for you and other drivers.

Brakes: Again, check for any leaks in the calipers or lines. The brake pads should have at least 50% material remaining. Check that your brake fluid is clean and filled to the maximum fill line on the reservoir. DOT4 fluid is recommended but don't mix DOT4 and DOT3. Bleeding the brakes prior to the event is recommended and always a safe habit to have.

Helmet: Most (if not all) track day organizers will require drivers to wear a helmet. Any SNELL rated helmet of the past 10 years will suffice. Some organizers may rent out helmets so be sure to ask if you do not have one.

General:
- Car numbers are usually required; blue painters tape works great. It's easily applied and does not damage paint.
- Increasing tire pressures can help prevent excessive wear on the sidewalls.
- Take everything out of the car that is loose. Loose items will fly around in the car due to hard braking and hard cornering. These loose items can be distracting and dangerous to you and to other drivers if they fly out the windows.
- Make sure your windows are clean and clear.
- DO NOT apply the parking brake in the paddock. This will trap excessive heat in your brake rotors and can crack and warp them. Turn the car off in gear or in park.

Things to Bring: For your first time out, stick to the essentials: basic tools, torque wrench, extra oil, tire pressure gauge, ect. Make sure to drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen as necessary. Keep track of your belongings you've taken out of your car; don't let things blow away.

What to Expect

For your first time out, you will not be setting lap records. There are no trophies in HPDE. You cannot win. Instead, focus on trying to absorb as much information from your instructor and other drivers as you can. Learn the proper lines and braking zones. Try to be smooth and confident with your inputs; speed will come naturally. Be courteous to other drivers as they may be more nervous than you. Above all else, have fun.

Extra Tips

1. Start slow - you are likely driving your daily driver. The goal is to go home in one piece.

2. Brake in a straight line - braking in the turns will likely cause the rear end of the car to slide out. This could cause you to have a bad day.

3. Check your fuel - you will get terrible mpg while on track. Don't enter the last session of the day with an empty tank.

4. Check your tire pressures - things get hot and when they get hot, pressures go up.

5. Drink lots of water!

6. Leave your ego at home - too many first-time drivers think they know what they're doing and end up creating an unsafe environment. Leave the nannies ON; they just might keep you from hitting a wall.

7. Be a leader, not a follower - don't assume the person in front of you knows what they're doing. Listen to your instructors.

8. Don't be afraid to go off track - if you carry too much speed into a turn, don't panic and brake mid-turn or turn sharper. Let the car go off into the grass or dirt and gently apply the brakes. It's not embarrassing, it's safe.

9. Let people pass - if a Miata is on your bumper the whole lap, the Miata IS FASTER THAN YOU. Let them pass and everyone will have a better day.

10. Don't use your brakes on the cooldown lap - the last lap of the session is intended to allow your car to cool down. Try to coast the whole lap.

For more advanced info, see post #13
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To help people avoid the search bar and creating new threads for information that has already been discussed, I would really like to make this thread a sticky.

Please let me know if there is any info I missed and should be included. I will edit and update the original post as needed.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Great Post! I wish this was here when I first started and didn't have to ask 90 different questions (although, I got excellent advise from the fine folks on this board).

Please pay extra attention to tips 1, 5, 6 and 9. Very strong advise. 5 and 9 are key to having a good time.

Our list includes just a few basic tools, as we have no real way to lock stuff up. Torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, a couple of screw drivers, pliers and a roll of duct tape. Between my son's Camaro and the Mustang, we add a cooler full of water, gator-ade and snacks. Hats / ball caps, sunscreen, a couple of lawn chairs. Two quarts of oil. An empty gas can. Cell phone chargers and memory cars for the cameras. An extra pair of shoes. While I don't have official race car shoes, I do have an un-official pair that fit a little tight, as opposed to the more comfortable shoes I wear to and from the track. It just feels better driving with the tighter shoes. We always have a couple of twenty dollar bills tucked in the glove box. I've started an in-trunk list to attach to the trunk organizer I got for Christmas.

And I'm planning on a stick-on deal to cover the seat belt decal on the visor with an in-car check list.
1. Radio tuned to track station, if available
2. Make sure camera is on.
3. Drive mode set to track.
5. Have fun!
4. Do not set parking brake.
5. Pop hood and let engine bay cool down.
6. Drink water.
7. Go pee. I know, not a popular thing to put on a list, But, needs to be said. Especially during the hotter summer months.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Good stuff. Would also suggest pulling the hood latch once you're off track and do a lap or two around the lot to let things cool down at low rpm. When you park the car after cool down, do not use the e-brake, put the car in gear and turn it off. Rear rotors will be hot and the pads pressed against them can leave deposits on the rotors plus decrease rear pad and rotor life. Get out and pop the hood after turning it off to further assist in cooling. Stretch, take a short break to decompress, then get back in the car, clutch in, gearbox in neutral, turn the car for a minute or so to cycle out the hot coolant still in the hot engine.

Edit to add: when you turn the car on to cycle the hot coolant, move the car forward or backward a foot or two to move the front pads to a different section of the front rotor. Same reason as the rears, hot pads on hot rotors can leave deposits and degrade both.

Study the track map before arriving and identify the flag stations and turns. Point them as you drive on track. Try to memorize the flags before arriving on track.

Last edited:

rileythemustangguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
THANK YOU for this, it's exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for as I browse the forum trying to prepare for the summer. Please sticky this, it's awesome!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
motorsportsreg.com for finding a wide variety of events.

A tarp to cover all that loose stuff you'll be unloading if you drove your "track car" to the event. Weights to keep it from being blown away (open spaces like track venues do tend to be windy). Short lengths of pressure treated 2x2 for keeping your stuff out of the water if you're taking in a potentially rainy track day.

Norm

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
motorsportsreg.com for finding a wide variety of events.

A tarp to cover all that loose stuff you'll be unloading if you drove your "track car" to the event. Weights to keep it from being blown away (open spaces like track venues do tend to be windy). Short lengths of pressure treated 2x2 for keeping your stuff out of the water if you're taking in a potentially rainy track day.

Norm
Noted and added đź‘Ť

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Great suggestions and idea. Some additional things to consider, from a novice:

- Leave the windows at least partly down, even if not required. I think some places require them to be all the way down for safety reasons (pull you out in case of fire/unconscious), but having them a bit down also helps you hear when other cars are nearby so you can let them pass. Normally you'll see them first, but as a novice, sometimes you may be preoccupied with making a difficult turn to notice faster drivers coming up on from behind until suddenly you hear the car right next to you.

- Don't panic and suddenly slow down or change lines when you notice a car is passing you "really close". Keep your line/speed as much as possible so nearby cars can predict where you're going and at what speed, so you don't crash into each others.

- If you have active exhaust, set the exhaust to track mode so it's easier for other cars to hear you, even if your driving mode is normal or sport. Don't set driving mode to track until you feel ready.

- Our cars, if no extra cooling added, are a bit prone to overheating on the track. Us novices don't need to drive the whole lap, every lap, at 7000+ RPM in a lower gear just to hear the engine. Having some easy laps in between the harder laps makes for a much more enjoyable track day than having to park the car and wait for it too cool down enough for another session.

- Look frequently in the rear view mirrors so you can do the polite thing and let faster drivers pass. It's not like on motorbikes: you need to look behind you too.

- Check the lug nut torque and air pressure before the track day starts (e.g., after the briefing, when your car has cooled down, but before you drive out on the track and things have heated up again).

- If you feel brakes are no longer working well, as soon as possible slow down and do a few cool down laps, applying the brakes as little as possible. Don't try to finish the lap on "good time", as suddenly you may find the brakes not working at all. The cool down laps will cool the brakes down faster than parking the car.

- Carry with you some window cleaner and a towel in the car. Especially when you're driving your car to the track, by the time you arrive, your windscreen may need a good clean. Also during the track day.

- Don't be in a rush to get out on the track, unless time is very limited. Often the most accidents will happen at the beginning. For a first track day it's well worth it to just observe for a bit before jumping in.

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
I’d add:
- Brake fluid should be DOT4. Any are good for beginners.
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
PART 2

So you've been to one or two events and now you're completely hooked. Performance driving has sunk its teeth in and opened up your wallet. Where do you go from here?

Like most people, the quick and tempting conclusion is to buy all the shiny go-fast parts that you see real race cars with. Don't be this guy.
The number one most effective thing you can buy to make you a better and faster driver is more practice. You don't want to be the guy with 700hp who's still getting passed by spec Miatas.

Track driving and especially racing is a very expensive hobby. Tires, event tickets, fuel, travel and housing, tires, brake pads and rotors, fluids, increased general maintenance, and tires all add up very quickly. (Yes, I said tires three times. These easily have the biggest impact). These costs alone will make you wish you had a second job; don't add to the stress by buying expensive aftermarket parts that you simply don't need yet.

With all that being said, there are certain aftermarket goodies that are worth buying earlier on that will save you money in the long run, make your track experience better, and help advance you as a driver more quickly.

1. More practice. This is worth saying again. Parts won't make you faster, practice will.
Now many will argue that beginners should not be timing their laps. I agree with this but once you have the basics down, getting some data and lap feedback can help you improve even faster. There are a few things to help here.
TrackAddicts is a free app you can download on your phone that will record video and basic telemetry of your sessions. You can use this data to look back at your laps and see if you were off line, see if you braked too early, missed an apex, took a turn too slow, ect. A lot of the time, mistakes are hard to catch while you're in the car. Watching a video of your own lap will help you catch mistakes and see where to improve.
To take this even further, you can upload your lap video and get online coaching from Racers360. For a small fee, you can have a professional driver review your lap and give you personalized tips of how you can improve.

Added bonus! Now maybe you live in an area that gets snow and you're stuck without practice for months on end...Wrong! Consider a quality SIM racing wheel and pedals and find a game that has the same exact tracks you would drive in real life. This way, you can keep practicing your braking points and turns.

2. Upgrade your brakes. You can absolutely track on the factory equipment and this equipment is likely more than sufficient for the average beginner or casual HPDE driver. However, if you know this sport is something you want to pursue and you want to be the next Lewis Hamilton, some good brake pads, brake rotors, and brake fluid should be on your Santa list. When you start picking up speed, you may notice that your pads are glazing. This is because they are not rated for that level of heat and the outer surface of the pad is actually melting. Racing pads will not only stop you faster but will also hold up to the heat better and will in turn last longer. Pads that last longer will eventually save you money.
Racing brake fluid is an arguably necessary upgrade. If your fluid boils from excessive heat, your car will not stop when you press the pedal. High temp racing fluid is designed to withstand these higher temperatures and keep your brakes working.
(PS - to increase your brake pad life even further, brake cooling is a great option)

3. Tires. As far as performance upgrades go, tires are the best thing you can spend your money on. This does not mean you need Michelin Cup 2's and it certainly doesn't mean you should try slicks right away. Using crumby all-seasons are perfectly fine too. In fact, learning how to drive on crumby tires will actually teach you better car control earlier on and probably save you some money while you're still learning.
Try not to "upgrade" here. Use what you have initially to learn on and when those tires are worn out, get some lower treadwear tires and keep that cycle going. Generally, the faster a tire is, the faster it'll wear out. There is no sense buying super fast, expensive tires when you're still learning the basics.
Also, the more street-able tires will squeal like a pig at the limit which is great to teach you where the limit of grip is. High end street tires and slicks don't make noise; there is no warning when you're about to lose grip.
(If you're looking for a faster tire and you know this is your new hobby, really consider 11" wide wheels and 305mm tires. These fat cars of ours need as much tire as they can get and you'll only be wasting money buying anything less.)

4. Safety Equipment. This is probably the least glamorous upgrade but hands-down the most important. I don't think I need to explain why safety equipment is important....we all want to go home in one piece.
Start off with a quality helmet. Then maybe a fire extinguisher. Then maybe you've realized that you're now too poor to afford any friends with all the track days you've been going to so why keep those useless back seats. Put a roll bar in there!

5. Cooling. This section isn't so necessary but I figured it was worth mentioning.
I'm trying to advocate things that will teach you, make your dollar go further, or keep you on track longer. Cooling is one of those things. Tracking your car will make all sorts of things on your car hot. When things get too hot, your car will put you in limp mode or worse, those things could actually break. You can avoid this by driving slower (that's boring), take a cool down lap every so often, end your sessions short, or upgrade various parts to prevent them from getting too hot in the first place. Now there is plenty of info out there on what systems should be upgraded and why so I won't get into the details. The point I want to make is, keep track of your various temperatures and when they get too hot, consider upgrades. If your temps aren't that hot yet, don't waste money on parts when you don't even have the problem. Things to keep track of: cylinder head temp, coolant temp, engine oil temp, trans oil temp, differential oil temp.

Last edited:

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
MINIMUMS

DRIVER:
  • Helmet

VEHICLE:
  • Tire gauge
  • Air pump, hand
PIT:
  • Water
———

ESSENTIALS

DRIVER
  • helmet
  • Nomex gloves
  • Recommended: driving shoes/boots
VEHICLE
  • tire gauge
  • Milwaukee 12V Air pump
  • Breaker bar
  • Torque wrench
  • Non marring lug nut socket
  • GoPro and mount
PIT
  • water
  • Snacks
  • Chair
  • Tire chock, mainly for manual cars, to avoid using the parking brake or leaving in gear
-

ENTHUSIAST

DRIVER
  • helmet
  • Nomex gloves
  • driving shoes/boots
  • HANS device
  • Driver suit
  • Nomex socks (I use Darn tough wool socks though … lol)
VEHICLE
  • Spare blanket, protects interior
  • MORE gopros and mounts
TOOLBOX:
  • Hand tools needed for changing brake pads
  • Milwaukee 1/2 12v impact
  • Breaker bar
  • Torque wrench
  • Non marring lug nut socket
  • Tire gauge
  • Spare batteries for air pump and drill
BOX 1:
  • Milwaukee 12V Air pump
  • tire chock
  • Lightweight racing jack
  • Rennstands
BOX 2
  • Spare fluids
  • Spare brake pads
  • Gaffer tape
  • Disposable microfiber towels
  • Detailing spray
  • Glass cleaner
  • Vinyl numbers
PIT
  • water
  • Snacks
  • Cooler with sandwiches
  • Chair, folding
  • Creeper seat
  • Earmuffs

OBSESSED

All the above PLUS:

VEHICLE
  • Track tires
PIT
  • Quickjack scissor lift

PROFESSIONAL

All the above PLUS:
  • Training
  • Racing contract, being paid bajillions
  • Trailer (18wheel obvi)
  • Pit crew / race team
  • Radio

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Great sticky!

Not mentioned yet: board to put your jack and jackstand(s) on; most tracks take a very dim view of your jack sinking into the hot paddock asphalt after using it to raise your car.
Sponsored

Last edited: