Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid, but simple really helpful tip I've started doing lately and gathered from others :

Write your session time +20 min on your wristband
So in most groups/places, you'll get wristbands. Usually one is from the track as you enter the premises that you only receive when you sign your life away, and the other is from registration for your run group. Do yourself a favor to grab the official schedule at check-in, get your group time, and write a time 20 minutes before your session on that wristband. That's the time you should be back in your car, engine running, and doing your last second checks before going out.. As groups eventually do stupid things, there will be some delays and drift, but you can't really get in trouble for being too early.

If you're instructing, perhaps separate them, with your group times on the colored one for your run group, and your instruction times on the other track one. That, or depending on your phone, set up multiple reminders in your native alarm/clock/timer app. After a while, you'll probably be in the same group over and over, so your times won't generally change, so you can keep the same alarms and activate-deactivate them, and if like me, you instruct, the beginners are also in the same group/time, so for a track morning, it's as simple as me just turning 4-6 alarms on.

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thank you for the helpful write up! I have my first track event coming up June 9th and would like to be adequately prepared. :like:

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Had my first track night with SCCA tues afternoon at pocono raceway. Base '21 GT manual, with 4k miles. Had a great time. Went in essentially stock, just some chassis bracing. Here's some info other may find useful. 1) brakes were fried, I cooked 'em. I spoke to some guys who travel around and said this was a very fast track. The longest strait is essentially the entire nascar back strait through the tunnel turn. I could keep her wide open in 3rd right through the tunnel turn with the banking and shift 4th coming out of the turn. hitting 135 consistently at the end of the strait. The brake fade was BAD!!! Felt like I was in danger of boiling the fluid so I started to back off after the 3 lap of the sessions. Ordered a brake cooling kit and track pads for next time, will upgrade fluid as well. 2) the shifter "lockout" is real. Once the trans started to heat up I was missing 3rd when trying to shift quickly. Had to slow my shifts down, fully depress clutch pedal, fully let off throttle to get the gear change done 2-3. And then 3-4 also after it got hotter. Never got any temp warnings, was watching oil temp virtual gauge, and it got close to yellow but never hit it. Suggestions on how to fix that would be great. I did the BG fluid swap and whiteline trans mount bushing already. 3) tires, The all season p1relli's pzero are skinny and slippery, I left traction control on and was bumping it in most corners. That said, checking the accelerometer after the night I was 0.96 G left and right. Which I thought wasn't bad for all season tires. I like to think I was "on it" for the non-paced sessions, I burned 7/8 tank of gas in an hour.
It was a great experience, now I know what has to be upgraded for next time. Learned a lot bout the car and myself, made some friends. Well worth the time & money!!!!!!

seabee133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush RS3 Twister Orange
Seeing this made me think of my time at Virginia International Raceway last year.. Went and did an HPDE session. My last one of the 2 day course, 30 minute session, went through 3/4 of a tank. Dont regret one bit lol. That was my first track day/days in my car. So fun!

I like to think I was "on it" for the non-paced sessions, I burned 7/8 tank of gas in an hour.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Seeing this made me think of my time at Virginia International Raceway last year.. Went and did an HPDE session. My last one of the 2 day course, 30 minute session, went through 3/4 of a tank. Dont regret one bit lol. That was my first track day/days in my car. So fun!
Yup, I'm hooked, this is going to get expensive. Went in novice group, 3x20min sessions, first was a paced session. So basically i burned almost a whole tank in 40min. On the plus side I dont feel "the need for speed" on the street anymore.......for now.

seabee133

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phillip
Vehicle(s)
2021 Roush RS3 Twister Orange
Yup, I'm hooked, this is going to get expensive. Went in novice group, 3x20min sessions, first was a paced session. So basically i burned almost a whole tank in 40min. On the plus side I dont feel "the need for speed" on the street anymore.......for now.
lol.. yea i got 5 25/30 min sessions over my 2 days.. drove up in the car, drove back home (7 hours) and enjoyed it.. i do autocross with mine and some drag.. its nice having a car that can have fun in all forms of tracks lol.. but road racing was most fun.. i was able to hit up to 150 and doing 120 through some esses was great and kinda scarry the first time lol.. but its definitely fun getting some track time in..

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I’ve only been to a half dozen or so HPDE days and a few time trial events and not sure if I saw anywhere in this thread, some places/groups used to require a long sleeve shirt so I always had one handy.
Another thing that these events provide is information galore. Watch the guys who know what they’re doing, the cars that are performing well, the ones you like the sound of even. Ask questions as people are, usually, very happy to tell you about themselves, their cars, their equipment, what works for them and what doesn’t. I‘ve picked up a ton of info from other participants, those in my own run groups, those in the open track groups, and everywhere in between, not just from the instructors.
And lastly, the best part sometimes is that it’s a car show where you can see and hear the participants running hard, not just sitting still on the grass somewhere. This is how I’ve picked out the exhaust sound I wanted on several cars that I’ve owned. Live is way better than YouTube any day.
Sponsored