Sponsored

First track day, first crash day

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
If you track it is only a matter of time before something goes south. It can be mistakes you made or somebody else dropping fluids etc.

Kudos to you for posting your accident and hopefully others will learn from your incident. If I read correctly this was your 1st track day and you turned the nannies off. That being said it takes several mistakes to get to the point where you wrecked.

In my case at VIR Mistake #1 I was frustrated with people not watching mirrors and doing timely point by. Mistake #2 was not bleeding off enough speed after turn in at the climbing sss's Mistake #3 was trying to save it instead of just driving off straight and re-entering the track at South Bend.

I still carry my bent toe hook from that incident and use it to remind me that if my mind isn't in the game then get off the track.

Peter
Sponsored

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
State Farm will not cover track days OR HPDE events. I asked them as I am planning to goto Summit Point for one of their Friday at the Track events (HPDE).

Hagerty's Track day insurance would be about $250 with a 10% deductible for my GT.

Something to consider is this does not cover liability. So if you lose control and hit someone/destroy property, you are still on the hook for that.
Have a look at "Open Track" track insurance: opentrack.com. They offer both own car, physical damage protection as liability protection. Cost is not significantly higher for both.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I've been instructing for almost 20 years and I've never witnessed someone wreck this bad on their first weekend. Usually self preservation and a stern instructor will intervene well before anything like this happens.
I haven't read if an instructor was in the car but I suspect not since it was stated the stability control was turned off. This is a big no-no and I usually don't recommend students turn it off until they go solo, which is usually their 4th weekend.
So many here are recommending track insurance, and I agree, but I'll take it one step further and recommend only running with a group that has good instruction, at least for the first few weekends of your tracking career.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I've been instructing for almost 20 years and I've never witnessed someone wreck this bad on their first weekend. Usually self preservation and a stern instructor will intervene well before anything like this happens.
I haven't read if an instructor was in the car but I suspect not since it was stated the stability control was turned off. This is a big no-no and I usually don't recommend students turn it off until they go solo, which is usually their 4th weekend.
So many here are recommending track insurance, and I agree, but I'll take it one step further and recommend only running with a group that has good instruction, at least for the first few weekends of your tracking career.
The event is what is known as "TrackCross" We start at one point in the track , run maybe 40-50% of the circuit to the finish line. So not quite HPDE , not quite AutoX . No instructors , drive at your own peril. I think this format is probably more prone to wrecking then AutoX or HPDE.

We all had about 4-5 runs in the morning , and changed the course in the afternoon for another 4-5 runs. Times for the runs were 45-60 seconds about.

Obviously you can get enough speed into a wall to do some damage. The OP was not the only car to leave on the flatbed that day.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This. There are also no prizes. No winning except being able to drive home after enjoying the car on track.

I do turn off advancetrac when I autocross the car, as it interferes too much at the high yaw/low speed conditions and tends to freak out.

Sponsored

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
Glad you are ok. Sucks for sure but hey, you did it doing what you like to do and the car can be replaced. I would recommend against committing insurance fraud.
^^^^ agree with the statement above, never take the recommendation of someone advising you to commit fraud. Unless you are willing to do time for it. Glad to hear you are okay. Be safe out there.

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CO Premium PP
When I did my first ever track day, it was an HPDE. My instructor told me the same thing. He just said leave the car in normal or sport mode, but keep all the nannies on. It was a 2 day HPDE with 4 hours of track time. I never turned on track mode. Easing into the limits of the car was safer that way.

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The event is what is known as "TrackCross" We start at one point in the track , run maybe 40-50% of the circuit to the finish line. So not quite HPDE , not quite AutoX . No instructors , drive at your own peril.
Wow, all the drawbacks of AutoX with the high speed consequences of a real track. Probably about the worst possible environment for a new driver. Much less in a fast car...

Just glad the OP is OK.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Wow, all the drawbacks of AutoX with the high speed consequences of a real track. Probably about the worst possible environment for a new driver. Much less in a fast car...

Just glad the OP is OK.
After seeing umarov's video I can wholeheartedly agree that this is way too dangerous for an untrained new driver. I hope Get Fast figures this out before someone gets hurt.

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After seeing umarov's video I can wholeheartedly agree that this is way too dangerous for an untrained new driver. I hope Get Fast figures this out before someone gets hurt.
Yeah, possibly requiring people to do one day of HPDE with an instructor would help A LOT.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Yeah, possibly requiring people to do one day of HPDE with an instructor would help A LOT.
Yup 5 HPDE days before I tried this.

Where's your your vid , [MENTION=17582]umarov[/MENTION] ?

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
man that sucks, least you're ok which is the important part. cars can be replaced. live and learn.

so uhh...part out? :lol:
There will be a part out coming soon. Just need to get it back from Summit WV to Bowie MD. Trying to figure that out. Insurance isn't covering.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Realizing your mind, tires and oil are all COLD I would never let a student turn off anything on a short course. Autox is ok, there is run off areas but with concrete around I would rather my students drive their car home intact.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
There will be a part out coming soon. Just need to get it back from Summit WV to Bowie MD. Trying to figure that out. Insurance isn't covering.
Damn, I think I've seen this car a few times on 270. So sorry to see and hear about it, good to know you walked away. That front rim tho...

Do you have AAA? They cover 100 miles of towing for free.
Sponsored