Sponsored

First track day

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey guys, have a couple questions. I will be attending my first track day this summer in my 2015 GT PP. Its basically a FBO car but mostly stock suspension/brakes. Has rear vertical links, cradle lock out and diff bushing inserts, other wise stock. Stock PP brakes. Front tires stock, rears are Dunlop Sport Max RT. Not expecting any record times or anything like that but what has been your experience with stock PP stuff? Adequate, junk, ok? May change some stuff after the first outing based on what I like and don't like.
Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I did my first track day last year while my car was still bone stock, and everything on the car was easily up to the task. The weakest link was the part directly behind the steering wheel.

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
I would do a few track days before starting to swap things out.

Actually, I'd suggest the only thing you need to do is flush your brakes. Motul products are cheap and more than good enough for someone just starting out, it just needs to be <6 months old for peace of mind. As for pads, your stock pads in the Brembos are more than enough for street tires.

OP
OP

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I would do a few track days before starting to swap things out.

Actually, I'd suggest the only thing you need to do is flush your brakes. Motul products are cheap and more than good enough for someone just starting out, it just needs to be <6 months old for peace of mind. As for pads, your stock pads in the Brembos are more than enough for street tires.
I knew I forgot to mention something, I have RTF 600 in it. Did that last year when I changed the clutch.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
#1 concern is safety and the #1 issue on a track with a stock vehicle is going to be boiling the brake fluid. If you're looking to get into track days and have this be a regular thing I would recommend swapping out the fluid to a performance brand (I use Motul 660), so that the boiling point is higher. What you'll experience at the end of a session is brake fade, or a squishy brake pedal, which isn't pleasant to experience especially when the fluid boils and creates air pockets in your brake lines. Change out the fluid (I'd recommend stainless lines too) so it's not in the back of your mind and have some fun!

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Stock stuff is pretty darn good for a beginner or early intermediate. Very controllable and predictable.

Once you start getting more days under your belt and perfecting your technique you will start to notice body roll and other deficiencies, but you really don't get to that point until you know how to drive the car smooth and not upset the balance...not something a beginner can do.

I did a couple trackdays with it stock and it was fine, now moved up to some swaybars and other suspension bits and it already feels much better.

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I knew I forgot to mention something, I have RTF 600 in it. Did that last year when I changed the clutch.
If you changed the fluid last year, you're going to need to change it again. After 6 months, you need to go by the wet boiling point, which for RBF600 is 401 F. That's lower than the minimum DOT 4 dry boiling point, so you'd really risk boiling it on track.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
For fluid I'd cut to the chase and use Castrol SRF. I boiled the RBF600, switched to the SRF and never looked back.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You already got a PP....don't even worry about changing anything (except brake fluid) until your're Intermediate.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
As everyone else says, flush the fluid to be safe.

I did an event with stock everything except camber/alignment and the car did great. Tires were toast after that track day, but they we're exactly new to start and I was pushing pretty hard (not a novice).

After that I upgraded the shocks to Konis and lap times didn't really decrease at all.

If you want to keep tracking on a regular basis, look into some camber plates before/or when you buy your next set of tires.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
What pads would people recommend for an experienced track day goer at a circuit that is very hard on brakes? I figure I will toast the stock pads (I am a late braker) on my first outing. Or are the stockers up to the task?

Pads will need to be up to daily duties also. Are brake line and aftermarket rotor upgrades essential?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What pads would people recommend for an experienced track day goer at a circuit that is very hard on brakes? I figure I will toast the stock pads (I am a late braker) on my first outing. Or are the stockers up to the task?

Pads will need to be up to daily duties also. Are brake line and aftermarket rotor upgrades essential?
You can't have your cake and eat it too.