Sponsored

First track day, first crash day

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Interested to know if the wheel broke before or after the crash. Did the wheel fail and cause the accident?
Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... What's important is that I'm alright and just sore. Cars can/will be replaced. Now I need to take a look at those 2019 models. :)
Did you take a class or get any instruction ? Maybe the V8 too much for a first track day. In this case, I might be tempted to shop Camaro V6, with the 1LE. I think that comes with manual transmission cooler and differential cooler.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Been there, done that. So sorry to see this happen to you. I cant say you should have or you should not have. Just glad you are ok. Brush yourself off and get back on that horse as soon as you can, dont let this get to you.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Damn, hate to see this. Was your instructor OK?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Damn...............

Well, glad you’re able to post about it and you weren’t in worse off shape - vehicles are disposable, some people are not. :)

As for insurance, any track day, be it a drag strip, auto cross or road race, a vehicle being driven as such is considered exhibition or contest of speed event. Believe it or not, even if wrecking from street racing, most policies won’t cover the car if found that the vehicle was used as such. For those that don’t know, if your policy has that wording already in it, they’re not going to cover the wreck at all. Some people don’t even know what their Auto Policies WON’T cover, or never bother to read the fine print in the declaration pages of the policy.... if some of you don’t know if you’re covered, read up...

When anyone takes their vehicle to a track, they are taking a risk (or chance) that nothing will happen on that day. It’s not a matter of if, it’s when....

I’ve read on other forums a few years back that there are some Specialty Ins. Co.’s that offer insurance for vehicles that will be also used in racing or exhibition of speed events, but that the coverage was not all that cheap either. It’s coverage that would only cover the vehicle while at a track event. I’m not sure of the requirements, but daily driven vehicles used for track events, it’s pretty much insurance on top of insurance.

Unfortunately if there is no loss provision for that vehicle, then it might be best to part it out and use that $ to pay down the note (if it was financed) or use it towards another vehicle. There’s lots of guys looking for a Coyote drivetrain, harnesses, PCM’s, etc for other builds, conversions, etc. Even though the shell is trashed, there’s still a lot of good parts.

Best of luck healing and with a future vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Interested to know if the wheel broke before or after the crash. Did the wheel fail and cause the accident?
After. Didn't expect the wheel to be destroyed that much.

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Damn...............

Well, glad you’re able to post about it and you weren’t in worse off shape - vehicles are disposable, some people are not. :)

As for insurance, any track day, be it a drag strip, auto cross or road race, a vehicle being driven as such is considered exhibition or contest of speed event. Believe it or not, even if wrecking from street racing, most policies won’t cover the car if found that the vehicle was used as such. For those that don’t know, if your policy has that wording already in it, they’re not going to cover the wreck at all. Some people don’t even know what their Auto Policies WON’T cover, or never bother to read the fine print in the declaration pages of the policy.... if some of you don’t know if you’re covered, read up...

When anyone takes their vehicle to a track, they are taking a risk (or chance) that nothing will happen on that day. It’s not a matter of if, it’s when....

I’ve read on other forums a few years back that there are some Specialty Ins. Co.’s that offer insurance for vehicles that will be also used in racing or exhibition of speed events, but that the coverage was not all that cheap either. It’s coverage that would only cover the vehicle while at a track event. I’m not sure of the requirements, but daily driven vehicles used for track events, it’s pretty much insurance on top of insurance.

Unfortunately if there is no loss provision for that vehicle, then it might be best to part it out and use that $ to pay down the note (if it was financed) or use it towards another vehicle. There’s lots of guys looking for a Coyote drivetrain, harnesses, PCM’s, etc for other builds, conversions, etc. Even though the shell is trashed, there’s still a lot of good parts.

Best of luck healing and with a future vehicle.
I'm looking at it 50/50. If they pay for it, fantastic. I get a new car. If not, I deal with it by buying a cheap beater and use it as a learning opportunity. I chose (or forgot) to not get Track Day insurance. I guarantee that will never happen again.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
State Farm will not cover track days OR HPDE events. I asked them as I am planning to goto Summit Point for one of their Friday at the Track events (HPDE).

Hagerty's Track day insurance would be about $250 with a 10% deductible for my GT.

Something to consider is this does not cover liability. So if you lose control and hit someone/destroy property, you are still on the hook for that.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
State Farm will not cover track days OR HPDE events. I asked them as I am planning to goto Summit Point for one of their Friday at the Track events (HPDE).

Hagerty's Track day insurance would be about $250 with a 10% deductible for my GT.

Something to consider is this does not cover liability. So if you lose control and hit someone/destroy property, you are still on the hook for that.
I live in NY. I have a sneaky suspicion they have to cover you car no matter where you wreck. I called haggarties? (spelling) and they said they wouldn't cover the car if it was ever tracked because by NY state law they have to cover the car. Which kinda makes sense.. they can not not cover you because you are drunk or drive reckless.

That being said I by track insurance.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
Insurance is different in each state so no one should be giving blanket statements on what is and is not covered.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Always wondered if you are even liable for paying for damage to someone else's vehicle on the track.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
Always wondered if you are even liable for paying for damage to someone else's vehicle on the track.

The group I run with won't let you back out until the situation is remedied between the affected parties. That could mean a handshake and go your separate ways, that could mean cutting a check, it could mean small claims court. That being said, they can't force you to pay up, as you assume the risk when you sign up.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The group I run with won't let you back out until the situation is remedied between the affected parties. That could mean a handshake and go your separate ways, that could mean cutting a check, it could mean small claims court. That being said, they can't force you to pay up, as you assume the risk when you sign up.
Yeah. I figured you know the risks and if your car gets damaged either from your own actions or someone else, it is your problem and that is why you should get track insurance to cover both situations.

umarov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CO Premium PP
I am really glad you are okay. It was nice to meet you on the track. I really hurt my heart when I saw your car on the flat bed :(.
Keep up the positive attitude, hopefully things go for the better.

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I am really glad you are okay. It was nice to meet you on the track. I really hurt my heart when I saw your car on the flat bed :(.
Keep up the positive attitude, hopefully things go for the better.
Thank you sir. I hope to get back out there soon. It was good meeting with you too.
Sponsored

Reactions: LX1