Sponsored

First track day, first crash day

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do you have AAA? They cover 100 miles of towing for free.
Good question - even if he does not have AAA, if he knows a friend or relative with it, they may be able to onboard him with a tow (per AAA’s membership rules and level of membership).
Sponsored

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Damn, I think I've seen this car a few times on 270. So sorry to see and hear about it, good to know you walked away. That front rim tho...

Do you have AAA? They cover 100 miles of towing for free.
I'm about to get AAA wait a week then do this. I had it but I let it expire in February.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
always hate to see this and glad you walked away. bunch of my friends are hpde instructors, first thing they say is there is no shame in driving slow your first time out. dont get an ego, and its not a race

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I'm about to get AAA wait a week then do this. I had it but I let it expire in February.
Dagger. You may find luck posting in the mid atlantic section about a tow. Some of those guys trailer to the track and a few are in the automotive field (tech/collision), might find a local resource willing and able to help. I'll ask around MoCo, some of my friends work on diesel trucks so may get traction there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Dagger. You may find luck posting in the mid atlantic section about a tow. Some of those guys trailer to the track and a few are in the automotive field (tech/collision), might find a local resource willing and able to help. I'll ask around MoCo, some of my friends work on diesel trucks so may get traction there.
That would be awesome thank you.

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Is Summit Point charging you for storage ?
I'm told that I just need to make arrangements. No charge. It's what the boneyard is there for.

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Regarding insurance coverage at the track , I know of 2 guys that wrecked their cars at HPDE events and Westfield Insurance paid the claims under their regular auto policies.
As long as it is not considered racing--not timed--they haven't ruled this type of event out --yet.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Regarding insurance coverage at the track , I know of 2 guys that wrecked their cars at HPDE events and Westfield Insurance paid the claims under their regular auto policies.
As long as it is not considered racing--not timed--they haven't ruled this type of event out --yet.
That used to be more common . As HPDE events have become more popular , most insurance companies have caught on.

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Well it looks like AAA won't pick up a car that was damaged at a track. Guy came, called AAA, and they said no. Waste of several hours of my life on my one day off.

Guess I'm going to have to spend the near $500 to get it home.

OP
OP
draconis123

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Well I finally got the car home. I'll be posting a part out thread in the next couple of days. Anyone know what I should be focusing on first?

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Well I finally got the car home. I'll be posting a part out thread in the next couple of days. Anyone know what I should be focusing on first?

Motor , trans , diff

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
For those of you who think this is a validation to not take your high-performance car to the track, I think you should reconsider. A track, drag strip, or autocross is the only place you can safely explore the performance limits of your Mustang, regardless of the trim. We don't know the circumstances of the OP's incident. Fortunately, it appears he or she is uninjured. What led to the incident? Did the OP have any kind of quality instruction prior to or during the event where the incident took place? You can do everything right and still have an incident like this, but the odds are against it happening if you are in the right environment with stringent safety and passing procedures and a good instructor. There is a large learning curve when you take your car to the track the first time.
My point is, take your car to the track, learn to be a better driver, learn your limits,and when you are ready, learn the car's limits. But do this at a sanctioned event such as NASA, SCCA, Porsche Club, BMW Club, Chin Motorsports, Hooked on Driving, etc., as opposed to an open lapping day (full-disclosure: I am an instructor with NASA and Porsche Club of America.) These events will usually have seasoned instructors to help you become a better driver, EMS personnel on site, and insurance in the event you are seriously injured. Ask how the instructors are vetted and ask if they are members of the Motorsport Safety Foundation (https://www.motorsport-safety.org/). I've never seen a serious incident in a HPDE (high-performance driving education) group. I feel safer at a NASA event at 120 MPH than I do in Denver rush hour traffic.
You can get track day insurance from Lockton and Hagerty that will insure your car in the unfortunate event you have an incident like the OP did.
Even if you only do 1 track weekend, it will open your eyes to what is possible in your car and give you some additional tools to be a better driver on the street.
Sponsored