Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Local auto parts stores aren't taking it anymore? Heard used oil was a good weed killer too...
our town recycling yard has an oil reclaim tank which makes it easy.
I only have 600 miles on GT so I'll probably have Ford do first ones as they are free.
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I'm not worried about the 2K rattle. I'm pretty sure it's the normal sound of the direct fuel injectors. All DI engines sound like that. And it isn't really that bad. It is indeed some extra noise, but it doesn't feel like an unnatural noise, it feels like any other kind of noise than an engine might make.
Whereas the typewriter tick sounds so obviously wrong that anyone, even someone who knows nothing about cars, would think the engine is broken.
It's this tick that tends to appear after the first oil change. And no one knows what it is. Not even Ford. Actually, the cynical part of me thinks that Ford knows what it is, but they won't tell us because they know it's bad. But let's say I'm wrong and give them the benefit of the doubt, and say they don't know.
Sounds something similar to what the father said during pre marital counselling. "Are you really sure this is what you want to do ? There's still time to join the priesthood." :wink: 😄

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
our town recycling yard has an oil reclaim tank which makes it easy.
I only have 600 miles on GT so I'll probably have Ford do first ones as they are free.
My local store takes oil still. I was joking about weed killer lol. I almost did my first oil change at the dealer but decided against it. So far I'm the only one to do maintenance to the car but I find it rather fun.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
My local store takes oil still. I was joking about weed killer lol. I almost did my first oil change at the dealer but decided against it. So far I'm the only one to do maintenance to the car but I find it rather fun.
we used to just pour down the old oil hole in backyard...and let it find its way back to its source! :crackup: Haven't done that in over 40 years! Not environmentally correct anymore.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
we used to just pour down the old oil hole in backyard...and let it find its way back to its source! :crackup: Haven't done that in over 40 years! Not environmentally correct anymore.
I HATE HATE HATE!! doing yard work so it really did cross my mind to oil my "flower beds" lol

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Flower beds are my wife's projects. :wink:

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Then one has to dispose of the old oil and filter. That is becoming a hassle.
Check Wal-Mart. The Automotive/Garage area at mine accepts containers of used oil. I'd encourage DIY. For the money saved, you'll be able to run premium brand synthetic, OEM Motorcraft filters and most importantly you know what was done.

Some aluminum foil and duct tape is your friend in directing spilling oil from the filter removal step down towards your catch container. If you do use Ceratec, poor some oil in, then pour some Ceratec into the oil container you are using and shake it up. Yes it adds time, but why not get a good premix for its first run through the system then a lump of product running through at once. Again maybe overdoing it, but works.

My take on the tick, is that it sounds like metal on metal. One bottle of Ceratec makes it stop. It tells me that it takes metal parts banging together somewhere that sees oil, and stops the banging from occurring by separating the parts away from each other. Once I hear of ONE example of a warranty being denied due to using it, or an engine failure that's root cause is using it, I'll begin to re-think my stance. Haven't seen one yet and I know it stops the noise. Easy choice.

My flavor: 5W30 Castrol EDGE EP w 1 bottle of Ceratec. I mix the bottle in with the oil as I go so I get a good pre-mix going. 5-7K OCI's, fully understanding it's likely earlier than necessary. OEM Motorcraft filter. Runs great, feels strong, no tick. Lots of different combos, I'm not saying mine is the secret formula. Volumes of research out there, so how deep do you want to go? It's all here. Many are very passionate about what to use, that's ok. Get spun up from several voices and give it a shot.

Rattle, I know what helps. Warming up the car. If Its fully warm, I can't really feel it happening (or hearing for that matter). If it's from a cold start to driving between 2K and 3K for extended time, that's when I get it. So except for when my wife is inevitably making us late for church, I don't take it over 2K if I have to get moving, until I'm up to right below the mid way hashmark on the temp gauge. If I have the time, I'll let it warm up for 5 minutes, and doing that is a must in cold weather IMO. Do you "have" to... of course not. Just passing on what works for me to minimize the two bummer noises this Coyote makes. BUT do these things, and all you will hear is.... greatness! (With a little attention to flow...). For the vets here apologies for the parable...

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How long after the oil change is the tick supposed to raise its head? I drove about sixty miles during the past three days, and the engine still purrs like a kitten. I guess that means I can relax now, right?
Actually, it seems to me it purrs even more nicely than it did before, though I'm sure it can't be for real, because I see no reason for that. It must be just an impression.
I initially wanted to use the OEM oil, but then decided to go with Molygen 5W-20.

What's odd is that the engine was supposed to take 10 quarts of oil including the filter (or 9.5 notwithstanding the filter), but it took 10.5. With 10 quarts the level was just a tiny bit above the lower mark on the dipstick. With 10.5 quarts it's right in the middle of the range. I've rechecked it afterwards, with a warm engine, after it had sat for an hour or so, and it's really fine, right in the middle.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Just think of it like the old Rhoads lifters, the lifters that click.
Showing my age here.
If I was a betting man, I bet ford uses fast bleed down lifters (cam followers) to pass the epa emissions at idle test , and that is what the tick is.
Has anyone had the factory loaded oil tested for what oil weight it REAlLY was shipped with, not what ford claims.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
You think they're using a heavier weight ?

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Just think of it like the old Rhoads lifters, the lifters that click.
Showing my age here.
If I was a betting man, I bet ford uses fast bleed down lifters (cam followers) to pass the epa emissions at idle test , and that is what the tick is.
Has anyone had the factory loaded oil tested for what oil weight it REAlLY was shipped with, not what ford claims.
Yes, when I had the OE fill tested I specifically asked for the weight verification. It was 5w-20 on my 2019.
Sponsored