Sponsored

first oil change issue

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
20 gt manual with 1300 miles. I thought I would change the oil and the trans fluid. trans fluid change went easy but for the life of me I cannot get the freaking stupid oil filter off. it seems like its welded in. I have a filter wrench but can't get it onto the filter to remove it due to where its installed. how do you guys get the filter off? its not hand tight. feels like its torqued to 100 ft lbs. im at a loss here. any tips or tricks?
Sponsored

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Take it for a drive so the engine is warm. I noticed the filter is much more difficult to remove when the engine is cold.

OP
OP
rhexis

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks it was warm. drove it to get gas and it was up to temp when I got back. took about 20 minutes to put it on jack stands and then replaced the trans fluid which was 30 minutes then I started on the oil change but the filter feels like its welded on. im at a loss here.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...100 lb, huh?

My FIL bought a new Touring Harley in 1984.
We started changing oil after 700 miles.
This happened when I was still strong as an ox as well as he.

My FIL had a giant pair of channel lock pliers on the filter while
I had a chain wrench looped around said filter.
I had my legs under the the bike, pressing against the opposite
wall, while I pulled with all of my might, plus his.
Finally, breaking the oil filter loose.
It never caved in (don't see how)

This has always been my example of tight.........................:rockon:

OP
OP
rhexis

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my largest pair of vice grips weren't big enough but I will go to home depot tomorrow and get a pair of channel locks. just seems absurd they would install this filter this tight and design it to be at the bottom of the motor recessed behind a trap door.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of oil filter wrench are you trying to use, cap type ? Where did you buy it ?

I would not suggest a biggee hammer, channel locks, You will not have the room to use them, crush that filter have you'll bigger problems that you will know

OP
OP
rhexis

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
strap kind but could not get it onto the filter enough to tighten it down. do you know the size of the cap type to get? sorry for the dumb question first oil change with this car I thought I could just twist it off with my hand since it should be hand tight.

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
so common...have had this happen on several new cars. The best way to remove, with the most torque is an end cap filter wrench that allows you to put either a 3/8 or 1/2 inch rachet on the end of it it. I have a Lisle kit with several different sizes. this has never failed me. When I got my first Hellcat so many people complained about how difficult it was to get the filter off the 1st time...with my Lisle end cap wrench, it came off with ease. Not sure of the size you need for your car, just go to the auto parts store and match up a new filter with a cap wrench.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I can tell you, assuming you have the Ford filter.

The very best suggestion, new take the filter to Orillys. You will find Pennzoil oil cap wrenches. They are single sized.

What is important about that. The single sized cap will is deep enough to fit over 100% of the flats on the filter.

I use WIX filter they I think it is a different size then FORD OEM

But this is what you're are looking for, notice it has ONE size.

IMG_0289 2.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here it the problem see the flat, it is the same single size, from the lip down into the cap.

The auto zones and so on sell all cap that has 2 different sizes, one smaller then the other.

And smaller of the second size is at the bottom half.
Stick a ratchet in and it protrudes into the end and will not let the filter set in the smaller flats and it slips.

FK that 3 prong thing, Think of the Pennzoil as a socket
IMG_0359.jpeg

OP
OP
rhexis

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok thanks I have an auto zone in philly will bring oil filter with me to make sure it fits.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ok thanks I have an auto zone in philly will bring oil filter with me to make sure it fits.

Don't do it wasting your time, just get the Pennzoil and be done with it. I say Pennzoil cause it is the only one I've found singularly sized

I have been down this road, take my word for it.

Done

Last edited:

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
do you think this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63830-...ds=Lisle+end+cap+wrench&qid=1624757203&sr=8-6

was at pep boys earlier and thats where I got the strap wrench from they didn't have anything else.
I've used this or one just like it. Bought it at Pepboys. Not sure if they still sell it, but it works for both loosening and tightening. Have to be careful on the tightening though as you can way over do it. I hand tighten, then mark with a sharpie before using it so I know how much I have tightened it.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I've used this or one just like it. Bought it at Pepboys. Not sure if they still sell it, but it works for both loosening and tightening. Have to be careful on the tightening though as you can way over do it. I hand tighten, then mark with a sharpie before using it so I know how much I have tightened it.
I use the 74mm ID X 15 flute oil filter removal tool.
1624760797665.png
Sponsored