Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm still confused.

Back in the day you could buy a body shell straight from the factory without any drivetrain, suspension, interior, so on and build it into a racecar and save a few bucks over buying the car from a dealership and tearing it apart. When you puchased the body shell it was painted white to prevent corrosion before it recieved an actual paint job.

Now manufacturers refer to incomplete chassis' as bodies-in-white before they are completed and leave the factory, and when comparing a brand new chassis to an outgoing model(like S197 vs S550) it's useful to compare them without any of the redesigned components that will be bolted on.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
IIRC the S197 was actually a dull brown color before primer and paint. At least looking at certain parts of the underbody and trunk are this brownish color. I don't know if that is only for black painted cars or if the lighter colors are the same.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm still confused

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Body in White is just a term, it's ready for paint. From the factory it's call E-Coat and it is awesome. E-Coat is usually white but, OEMs have started tinting Ecoat to save money on the more expensive base.I don't think a sealer is needed, just prep and base.
Sponsored