Sponsored

"expected" weight gain

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
They also started the rumour of 400 lbs loss, so don't believe they are accurate one way or the other

aardvark

Weight reduction measures have been minimal. Aluminum fenders replace the current car's steel, but otherwise the 2015 Mustang employs a steel-intensive unibody construction. Ford's lips are sealed regarding curb weight other than to point out that the new car has a lot more feature content than the old car, which is code for "It's heavier." Our guess is that the new car will gain about 100 pounds, which would place the GT model in the low 3,700-pound range.
Okay, they're just guessing.

Not an unreasonable guess, though. Not the direction that I'd prefer, but hat's off to Ford, I guess, for marching to their own drummer. The conventional wisdom for the last couple years has been that they'd take a significant or semi-significant bit of weight out of the car. A weight gain would be a thumb in the eye to the enthusiasts who begged for weight loss. If it happens, I guess it's because Ford is confident enough that the car is so appealing otherwise that those clamoring for a weight loss wouldn't notice or care. We'll see.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
Okay, they're just guessing.

Not an unreasonable guess, though. Not the direction that I'd prefer, but hat's off to Ford, I guess, for marching to their own drummer. The conventional wisdom for the last couple years has been that they'd take a significant or semi-significant bit of weight out of the car. A weight gain would be a thumb in the eye to the enthusiasts who begged for weight loss. If it happens, I guess it's because Ford is confident enough that the car is so appealing otherwise that those clamoring for a weight loss wouldn't notice or care. We'll see.
Pretty much every new model from a manufacturer gains either size or weight or both. No hats off. I will shop elsewhere if it doesn't lose weight.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Pretty much every new model from a manufacturer gains either size or weight or both. No hats off. I will shop elsewhere if it doesn't lose weight.
What would be the "weight-conscious" competitive vehicle you would consider instead? Is weight in the "top 3" of your most important criteria when purchasing?

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What would be the "weight-conscious" competitive vehicle you would consider instead? Is weight in the "top 3" of your most important criteria when purchasing?
Well, right now there's not really any other car. 370Z is useless with no trunk, Genesis Coupe is fun, but not for me. The GT86 twins look great, there's just no power. MX-5 is approaching useless and has no power. If they bring back a version or the RX-7/8 I might be interested, but there'd have to be a significant bump in power.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
Well, right now there's not really any other car. 370Z is useless with no trunk, Genesis Coupe is fun, but not for me. The GT86 twins look great, there's just no power. MX-5 is approaching useless and has no power. If they bring back a version or the RX-7/8 I might be interested, but there'd have to be a significant bump in power.
You might think this, but I've been extremely pleased with the functionality of mine. I can fit a ton of stuff in it. I take it camping and fishing all the time. The hatch is quite large and deep enough to fit many large items with ease, like a new vacuum cleaner, or a 25 gallon aquarium tank, etc. :thumbsup:

The Z is quite portly for its size, though. And the weight distribution sucks.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
It's a pretty well rounded car. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might think this, but I've been extremely pleased with the functionality of mine. I can fit a ton of stuff in it. I take it camping and fishing all the time. The hatch is quite large and deep enough to fit many large items with ease, like a new vacuum cleaner, or a 25 gallon aquarium tank, etc. :thumbsup:

The Z is quite portly for its size, though. And the weight distribution sucks.
My metric: can it fit my drumset.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've driven one. My buddy has one, he can fit all of his hockey equipment in it including sticks, and still have two people sitting, which is better than his previous S2000 where the passenger had to share the seat with the sticks. Great car, useless for me.

DJ

So what if it gains weight, the GT is gonna beat the Boss 302 at the track for over $10k less. What else can you ask for?

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what if it gains weight, the GT is gonna beat the Boss 302 at the track for over $10k less. What else can you ask for?
I have a heavy car (Mazdaspeed6) and I used to drive a light car (Civic) My heavy car is much faster and a better performer than the light car. But whenever I go back to that Civic, I remember how fun it is throwing a light, small car around. That's why I'm waiting until the HiPo/Halo cars are announced before I make a final decision. Plus, at that point several years from now, there appears to be a couple interesting additions to the affordable sports car segment.
Sponsored