SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Since then, Ford has gotten so good at weight reduction that I bet they are more than capable of taking out 400lbs from the now outdated and large S197 chassis.
But its not going to be on the S197 chassis.
Sponsored

motoroid65

But its not going to be on the S197 chassis.
The S197 wasn't riding on a SN95/Fox-4 chassis either. That's the point. By using current technology they can create a platform that is sturdier, safer, more comfortable AND be more lightweight. A car packs on weight through the years because it rides on the same frame while adding safety equipment and features. But platform changes allow it to reset the button -- this won't be the first time. By all counts the S197 would've been much lighter had they not increased the wheelbase by a full 6 inches and also increasing the track by 2-3"...... the fact that they only added a little bit of weight with such a larger vehicle is a miracle.

The S550 should benefit from all of the technology Ford has developed since the last platform change while maintaining its same basic size. This is almost guaranteed to be lighter, unless something REALLY unexpected is done.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
They could also make it smaller, enhance the driving dynamics, and make it lighter.

Beastie

Threads
Reaction score
They could also make it smaller, enhance the driving dynamics, and make it lighter.
This is pretty much most people's assumption at this point based on "insiders" at Ford talking to auto news sites. If it turns out false, the massive overreaction from the public should be blamed on none other than these insiders.

If I were Ford I would do a little info dropping to tone down very high expectations.... you don't want a 600 lbs difference between public perception and reality (IF it gains 1-200 lbs as some are saying here). Even for a hyped car like the 2015, that's just ludicrous. Better to underpromise and overdeliver and it might even help with some 2014 sales.

Sponsored

ARS

Threads
Reaction score
All I am going to say is that if the car gains weight you are going to see some people here and elsewhere blow their tops. Weight loss should be priority one.

WOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gokart
And you should go look at the weight of Camaro, Challenger, Audi S5, BMW 4-series, etc. When the car arrives, it won't be an outlier in the data.

If you don't like the fact it'll gain weight, don't buy it. Buy a Fox, S197, or something else.
It easy to judge these cars today since their next cycle hasn't begun. Now If we draw a line in comparison of what they will be with the Mustang gaining weight, it's going to look like what a challenger looks like in today's segment. Maybe a bit far reached but still a pig.

It's silly not to imagine the Camaro won't lose any weight after a new platform, The S5 is due for a make over in 16 and their main priority is to lose weight. The M4 is 3300LBS. I would love to see a comparison between it and the new C7. My money is on the M4 giving it a world of hurt.

I sometimes think that ford is trying to kill he Mustang instead of making it into a world class beater. If enough people don't see the benifit of a heavy handler that look like a sedan they just might kill it off once and for all.
Personally, I could wait till 2016 and many not just me will take our business somewhere else.
Sponsored