Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTsquid

Here's one slide I recall from the C7 introduction:

The Z51 equipment added another 100 lbs or so (larger brakes, larger sway bars, eDiff, dry sump oiling, various extra coolers).

It highlights how quickly many small changes can add up (that list shows a ~210 lbs gain). But in the C7's case, the car is such an improvement that the 100 lb gain is a small price to pay.

-T
Good find man, hopefully we are on to something here. Can't wait for all the nitty gritty details when the info is finally released. Even if it is true, I am sure there is more to the story than just pure weight gain.
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
In my opinion, they released the bad new first, the MSRP. Even though the sub-$33k impressed me, it's still higher than the 2014.

Now, time to rain on the S197's parade. It had an awesome decade, returned to Motorsport and won championships, rose to near M3/997 levels of performance, the Boss program, SVT and GT500 in general, Cobra Jet, almost a million sold... They are still on track to possibly win the '14 sales race too, on a decade old model. Don't want to jeopardize that.

The output, weight and MPG will be the last 3 nails in the S197 coffin.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
Thanks for adding your insights. I think what you're saying reinforces what others here have suspected, and frankly it does make sense from a business perspective. Obviously none of us like the wait, but I for one definitely understand the rationale.
bingo!

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
In my opinion, they released the bad new first, the MSRP. Even though the sub-$33k impressed me, it's still higher than the 2014.

Now, time to rain on the S197's parade. It had an awesome decade, returned to Motorsport and won championships, rose to near M3/997 levels of performance, the Boss program, SVT and GT500 in general, Cobra Jet, almost a million sold... They are still on track to possibly win the '14 sales race too, on a decade old model. Don't want to jeopardize that.

I think you have one of the more well thought out approaches on all of this than anyone else I've read, plenty of info to back up your theories let's just hope they're all true!

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I was thinking the same thing as JDStangCA. I didn't bother posting. But I remember when the coyote engine was debuting in the 2011 mustang GT. It was more or less just a rumor right up til the car came out. I went to the ford dealer and they hadn't heard anything about it. And this was only a short time before the 2011 came out. But who would buy the 2010 if it was gonna get 100 extra hp in a month or so for the same price. Once the car came out the motor was on every magazine and website there was.

Interestingly I was just reading that 2014 Camry sales are up even with the announcement of the 2015. But Camry owners know there won't be any big deviations from the tried and true formula.

You guys beat me to it

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green

That all seems to form a reasonable hypothesis. Hopefully, it'll play out just like that. But I'm not going to get my hopes up too high just in case...

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
As everyone has got this blown way out here is my "opinion" Lets see if I am correct. Been in the car business for over 30 years. Actually worked for Ford for several years. Know how they think and how all manufacturers think. The main concern they have when ever they have a new car release especially one as big as the Mustang is selling out the previous year cars. They are always very careful when the new car has something spectacular the old one doesn't. Now think like them. If they announced the new GT was going to weigh 3400 lbs and have 475 hp what do you think that would do to sales of the current gen? It would slow them down dramatically. They they would have to spend more money (incentives) on the old one to clear them out. If not the dealers would be screaming about leftovers that won't sell and are sitting and they would take less of the new cars until the moved the old. So far the way they are handling not saying anything has been great for sales of the 14's Most dealers here in CA are starting to run out of the good colors and equipment cars. Perfect!

So for all those like me who would love to know what my new car will weigh and what is the HP sit tight in good time we all may be very surprised.

P.s. for those that will say but Steeda said or R/T said pay attention they both just BS'd have no idea and just guessed.
Nice to hear an opinion from someone in the car business. I think you confirmed what a lot of us had in the back of our minds. This is about business and trying to clear out the current generation. Doesn't make the wait any less frustrating though.

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
Good illustration, and it makes me even more comfortable. Items 1 through 6 and item 13 won't apply to the Mustang, that's 88lbs it won't see. Items 7 and 8 are questionable, that's 36lbs, I'm thinking the ILIRS will absorb that 18lbs and some for that brake weight.

Items 10 and 12 could be forced into the US curb weight standard, that's 49lbs of "popular options" We could just count this regardless...

Items 9 and 11, here is our big weight gain from new crash test standards... How much did the C7 gain? 45lbs total. Wow... Scale shattering but still far from 200-300lbs.

Assuming the IRS is 60-80lbs heavier, add in 60lbs for "new crash test" standards. Stretching a bit, I can reach 175lbs with 55lbs of electric, heated, 30 way adjustable Lazy Boys equipped.

Let's pretend the S550 hasn't shed pure mass and the shell weighs exactly the same, the I could see a 3800lbs S550 in US standards.

I'm betting they dropped a couple hundred pounds judging by the mass reduction alone. 200lbs is easy to believe, if they told me 350lbs or 10% (internal goal fleet wide), I'd believe them.
Part of #1 is VVT, which is already part of the 5L. I would agree it doesn't apply insofar as we already have that weight as part of the engine. That said, the AFM is kinda like Charge Motion Control Valves and the associated parts, which are new for 2015. Considering the larger valves and probably slightly heavier cams too, it will surely add weight to the 5L that we haven't seen before. Not much, but all in, notable.

I was certain Ford added a standard oil cooler on the GT for 2015???
What about the automatic... don't they refer to that as a dual clutch?

As everyone has got this blown way out here is my "opinion" Lets see if I am correct. Been in the car business for over 30 years. Actually worked for Ford for several years. Know how they think and how all manufacturers think. The main concern they have when ever they have a new car release especially one as big as the Mustang is selling out the previous year cars.

So for all those like me who would love to know what my new car will weigh and what is the HP sit tight in good time we all may be very surprised.
That's been on my mind for awhile, but there's a rub this year... New Focus and Fiesta, HOOPLA, to be sure. They didn't worry much about sales. Okay, Focus is a HUGE seller and the Fiesta was new again for USA, so I can discount both. Plus, they're rather cheap and by many standards, disposable cars.

Brand new Fusion and Escape released near each other for 2013... HOOPLA AGAIN... These cars were so vastly different from what they replaced, it seemed Ford may have had concerns. Apparently not, as word got out well in advance of both. Having the 2L engine in use overseas made a difference(and it may again with Mustang).

The real rub... BRAND NEW F-150... Ford has poured out all the info on that and let's face it, the F-series is by far, it's most profitable vehicle. So, apparently they're not concerned with losing sales in the least. They'll just do what they do at the end of every model year, drop profit margin.

Sure, it makes perfect sense not to spill the beans in concern for selling the previous. That said, the current Mustang GT is HOT and people will snap them up when the 15 comes out, based on price differences alone. Ford will be "giving them away" as they do most everything being replaced/updated.

It's playing a role, I agree, but not a big one, based on what happens annually with all major automakers. Btw, it's good to see someone else in the industry add input. I spent 28yrs in it and recently retired.
P.s. for those that will say but Steeda said or R/T said pay attention they both just BS'd have no idea and just guessed.
Of course, the "non-Ford" sites have all but gone crazy spreading that word too, which is just silly. It's also part of why I'm tired of the hype.

That all seems to form a reasonable hypothesis. Hopefully, it'll play out just like that. But I'm not going to get my hopes up too high just in case...
I've said as much. Not holding out for anything spectacular. If it comes, there's that much more HAPPY involved... kinda like a Christmas present you never expected, but really wanted.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I was certain Ford added a standard oil cooler on the GT for 2015???
What about the automatic... don't they refer to that as a dual clutch?

Yes the new GT 5.0 has a standard oil cooler for 2015. There is no dual clutch in the Mustang, or the Corvette for that matter. Both use a torque converter.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I wasn't aware AFM was in the works for the 5.0L. I thought "AFM" was a GM trademark. Could be wrong...

TiVCT is already on the Coyote, I'm sure we will see some weight for DI but not much. The Coyote was designed with DI in mind (future proof).

It's pretty simple, the only way they can increase output and MPG's is to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics.

Check and check...

Even if the '15 weighed 3618lbs like the '14, increasing power usually sees a reduction in MPG's. Weight helps with the "City" portion where aero helps at speed. Increase power and weight, MPG's go down... Increase power and MPG's, weight has to come down.

Ford would be the only manufacturer that has produced a 2 door sports coupe that's heavier than their 4 door sedan w/ a 5 inch longer WB. If the base Fusion/Mondeo weighs 3425-3475lbs, the EB Mustang has to be lighter.

Sponsored

Dyno

Ford would be the only manufacturer that has produced a 2 door sports coupe that's heavier than their 4 door sedan w/ a 5 inch longer WB.
I'm confused about this point. Isn't this already true? Seems like there is something getting lost in the comparison.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
The Coyote was designed with DI in mind (future proof).
I thought this was already debunked - the bosses on the heads that a journalist assumed were for placing the injectors are directly under a camshaft, and thus don't allow enough space for an actual direct injection injector. I know I saw the story recently, but can't recall where...

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I thought this was already debunked - the bosses on the heads that a journalist assumed were for placing the injectors are directly under a camshaft, and thus don't allow enough space for an actual direct injection injector. I know I saw the story recently, but can't recall where...

That was the conclusion I came to based on examining the cylinder heads and valvetrain plus comparing them to cars with DI already.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The Fusion and S550 are related, there are 10 years between the two. The CD4 and S550 are under One Ford and use the new Silhouette Innovation Unibody.

The outgoing Kinetic 2.0 Taurus weighs close to 4100lbs with 112 inch WB. The new Silhouette Innovation Fusion (w/112 inch WB) weighs 3600lbs.

NO Aluminum just design. The S197 initially wasn't too heavy, around 3500. The long lasting S197 had numerous band aids attached as it aged, they worked but, added weight.

If the D2C was shared or even remotely similar to anything else, we could say it was heavier than the previous Fusion.

This time, the CD4 and S550 are sharing weight saving techniques. They also use similar power trains (2.0 and 2.3). Its smaller than the S197 AND the Fusion, it shouldn't be an issue.

Remember, the S550 structure fit into an S197, it's smaller no doubt.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.