Sponsored

2015 Mustang Weight Gain

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Fixed it for you. And that is correct.

I get the vibe there is no pleasing you when someone doesn't just "deal with it".
No, but I get sick of hearing people bash the car when 95% of the members on here know very little about it. We have no idea what it can do on the street, yet everyone here freaks out because of weight. I would bet most people won't be so upset when they drive one and say "this is so much better than my _______!" If you can't take the necessary changes required to make a better car than the S197, then take the steps to lighten it yourself. Lighter wheels, exhaust, etc. can easily shave 100 lbs. or more of weight from a vehicle.

Bottom line, there are so many "experts" who have an opinion with ZERO seat time.
Sponsored

Mechanic

And you have seat time in the S550?

Please enlighten us, then. If the Mustang packs on 200 pounds, what "necessary changes required to make a better car" would there be to compensate for the universal FACT that extra weight would negatively impact all performance metrics for the car, including the all-important MPG targets?

People aren't just freaking out about added weight. People are freaking out over a 3850 pound Mustang that would be unlikely to get lighter in the next 7-10 years and actually would in all likelihood put on more weight during its life -- and if you think its suddenly going to reverse trend mid-cycle when they didn't lighten the bones of the platform itself, you are dreaming. At what point do you think weight loss should be a goal in and of itself instead of more band-aid solutions? Should we just expect it to reach over 2 tons and continue the horsepower wars forever?

stangray11

This isn't a refresh, it's a once in a decade opportunity to lighten the car in the face of strong competition, strict CAFE requirements, market shifting to lighter cars, high gas prices and a car that has put on over 1,000 pounds over the years. That's why people are upset. Simple as that.

Reality is budgets for platform changes are exponentially bigger than the ones allocated to refreshes. Any major change in materials in the S550 after 2015 would be unlikely as it will drive up costs significantly. Also fact is, it's much easier to sell a big price hike in 2015 than it would be for a 2018 or later refresh.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
No, but I get sick of hearing people bash the car when 95% of the members on here know very little about it. We have no idea what it can do on the street, yet everyone here freaks out because of weight. I would bet most people won't be so upset when they drive one and say "this is so much better than my _______!" If you can't take the necessary changes required to make a better car than the S197, then take the steps to lighten it yourself. Lighter wheels, exhaust, etc. can easily shave 100 lbs. or more of weight from a vehicle.

Bottom line, there are so many "experts" who have an opinion with ZERO seat time.
You are completely missing the point. No one is saying they have seat time. No one is saying the car IS gaining weight except you. Everyone is saying they DON'T WANT a heavier car.

I don't care if it is faster or handles better than the current car. If it is heavier, that is weight the car will have until the next platform change. Weight it does not need to, or shouldn't have. Weight that takes more power to move. Weight that puts more stress on the drive line to move. Weight that puts more load on the suspension to make stick.

They can engineer around weight, but at the end of the day all of the above can only handle so much, and you just get that much closer to the line between cheap/easy mods, and expensive labor intensive mods.

Let me ask you this -- if we found out that the Mustang was going to be 200 lbs. lighter, faster, and handle better than the current car, BUT, it is going to have 2 extra doors, would you defend it like you are defending weight gain?

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
And no one is bashing the car. We are saying Ford is making poor decisions if weight loss is not a priority.

You should go look at the weight of a 2013 Camry. Then tell me if a 3850lb. Mustang is acceptable.

Sponsored

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Guys, I think at some point you need to agree to disagree.

Of course I hope the car loses weight -- many good things derive from it; Jesse is correct. But, I'm sure we all can imagine that maybe it won't. It's generally REALLY easy to add weight to any machine. People want all the bells and whistles -> more weight. People want 600 HP and cornering on rails -> more weight to handle the forces and moments/torques (to keep cost within reason). My opinion is that this is what overboost is getting at: weight loss isn't set in stone.

So let's all hope for weight loss, but realize it might not happen, or be as much as we'd like.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
And you have seat time in the S550?

Please enlighten us, then. If the Mustang packs on 200 pounds, what "necessary changes required to make a better car" would there be to compensate for the universal FACT that extra weight would negatively impact all performance metrics for the car, including the all-important MPG targets?

People aren't just freaking out about added weight. People are freaking out over a 3850 pound Mustang that would be unlikely to get lighter in the next 7-10 years and actually would in all likelihood put on more weight during its life -- and if you think its suddenly going to reverse trend mid-cycle when they didn't lighten the bones of the platform itself, you are dreaming. At what point do you think weight loss should be a goal in and of itself instead of more band-aid solutions? Should we just expect it to reach over 2 tons and continue the horsepower wars forever?
No, I do not.

I understand why you'd think at a platform change point, like we're at now, the car should get lighter. I'm with you. However, it may have been decided that building a chassis capable of handling the power and containing the necessary safety and government mandated options was easier (read: not cost-prohibitive) to dropping weight. You can argue the big business theory of making the bottom line better, but this has been years in the making, and it wasn't done to "screw the enthusiasts" as some people seem to react like it was.

I think, and based on the Ford direction, not just Mustang, that there will be options in the next few years that can reduce weight. I've said before, if the F150 drops as much weight as they've claimed, the technologies used will trickle down to other vehicles. I think Mustang makes sense.

This isn't a refresh, it's a once in a decade opportunity to lighten the car in the face of strong competition, strict CAFE requirements, market shifting to lighter cars, high gas prices and a car that has put on over 1,000 pounds over the years. That's why people are upset. Simple as that.

Reality is budgets for platform changes are exponentially bigger than the ones allocated to refreshes. Any major change in materials in the S550 after 2015 would be unlikely as it will drive up costs significantly. Also fact is, it's much easier to sell a big price hike in 2015 than it would be for a 2018 or later refresh.
Agreed on all counts. I do think, however, that sales will dictate what direction the car goes. I also think slowing sales have been part of why the car gained weight. Why do you invest significant funds to a car that sells 70,000 units, when you can invest into one that sells 650,000?

You are completely missing the point. No one is saying they have seat time. No one is saying the car IS gaining weight except you. Everyone is saying they DON'T WANT a heavier car.

I don't care if it is faster or handles better than the current car. If it is heavier, that is weight the car will have until the next platform change. Weight it does not need to, or shouldn't have. Weight that takes more power to move. Weight that puts more stress on the drive line to move. Weight that puts more load on the suspension to make stick.

They can engineer around weight, but at the end of the day all of the above can only handle so much, and you just get that much closer to the line between cheap/easy mods, and expensive labor intensive mods.

Let me ask you this -- if we found out that the Mustang was going to be 200 lbs. lighter, faster, and handle better than the current car, BUT, it is going to have 2 extra doors, would you defend it like you are defending weight gain?
No, I understand and respect the point, but have moved on. Would reducing the weight inherently create other benefits? Of course. Do I want a heavier car? No. Am I willing to accept it and wait until I spend time in the car and asses it as a complete package? Yes.

We're at a point right now splitting hairs, because info is limited and we're all impatient. You can engineer around weight, and as new tech becomes available and more cost effective, it'll get a look, and maybe implemented. Everyone is so fixated on the weight issue that they've completely ignored the issue of overall driver comfort, features, and performance.

Does weight contribute to driveline stress and reduced fuel economy? Sure, but if engineered correctly, the driveline stress will be accounted for.

Would I argue like this if it gained two doors? Apples and oranges. A better example would be asking if I'd argue if it was going to go to a much less appealing engine, in which case the answer would be yes. It still doesn't mean I agree with it.

And no one is bashing the car. We are saying Ford is making poor decisions if weight loss is not a priority.

You should go look at the weight of a 2013 Camry. Then tell me if a 3850lb. Mustang is acceptable.
And you should go look at the weight of Camaro, Challenger, Audi S5, BMW 4-series, etc. When the car arrives, it won't be an outlier in the data.

If you don't like the fact it'll gain weight, don't buy it. Buy a Fox, S197, or something else.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
If you don't like the fact it'll gain weight, don't buy it. Buy a Fox, S197, or something else.
I already have a Fox. I want something new, and have already said I would buy something else if S550 doesn't fit the bill.

At this point I am agreeing to disagree. We are looking at the same issue from two very different angles, and it is clear we are not going to come to terms.

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and

Sponsored

DrRadar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT
And you should go look at the weight of Camaro, Challenger, Audi S5, BMW 4-series, etc. When the car arrives, it won't be an outlier in the data.
Ah,... but it is an outlier in that group now. And that is part of why we are currently Mustang fans.
You speak as if you have real insider knowledge; I don't know if you do or not. At this point I hope not.
If the mustang is becoming more "Camaro-like" that is a very bad thing. Heaven forbid that it becomes Challenger-like!

Don't forget Stingray! If the new mustang doesn't float my boat, that is the direction I will leave in.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
As far as the trend of all cars gaining weight and size, remember that the Nissan 370Z is shorter and lighter than the Nissan 350Z.

We can hope that Ford has the balls to do the same.

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and