Sponsored

Ewheels Road Course Build

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
What? I think we might not be on the same page.
I do get speed, it's just annoyingly inaccurate because it's derived from slow iphone GPS.
I'll have to check out the link you provided cause the in-app settings don't seem to allow for OBD-derived speed. From that link, sounds like the app defaults to GPS speeds and Race Render defaults to OBD speed. I haven't put my most recent track data into Race Render yet so that might be the easiest fix.
đź‘Ť
Have you tried using external GPS connected to the phone through BT as a data source ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried using external GPS connected to the phone through BT as a data source ?
No, that was in my previous post. I said that would be next on my list as the OBD didn't quite get me what I wanted.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
What? I think we might not be on the same page.
I do get speed, it's just annoyingly inaccurate because it's derived from slow iphone GPS.
I'll have to check out the link you provided cause the in-app settings don't seem to allow for OBD-derived speed. From that link, sounds like the app defaults to GPS speeds and Race Render defaults to OBD speed. I haven't put my most recent track data into Race Render yet so that might be the easiest fix.
đź‘Ť
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood you then. I for some reason thought you meant the sampling rate of the gps receiver was so low no speed was displayed at all, but that's not what you said.

The link also says you can configure trackaddict to display the odb-provided speed, but I'm not sure if that's what I have set it to or not at the moment.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
No, that was in my previous post. I said that would be next on my list as the OBD didn't quite get me what I wanted.
Should have read it - sorry.

Btw - consider RaceCapture/Track from Autosport Labs - it has high frequency GPS and can read CAN bus data (although you have to figure out mapping - which has to some extent been figured out) and compared to general race car-like stuff is cheap.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Should have read it - sorry.

Btw - consider RaceCapture/Track from Autosport Labs - it has high frequency GPS and can read CAN bus data (although you have to figure out mapping - which has to some extent been figured out) and compared to general race car-like stuff is cheap.
No biggy

That or Apex Pro would be my next move. I thought about an Aim Solo DL but those are like $800.
I know Apex Pro is around $400.

I'm sure they work much better and provide much better data but at least where I am currently and with my experience, Track Addicts, a $30 bluetooth OBD reader, and potentially a $120 GPS booster seem to be the best bang for the buck at the moment.

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I have not tried it myself as I moved to Catalyst, but have you tried to set up speed as one of the data points here?

Screenshot_20230418_182312_TrackAddict.jpg

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
OP, just stumbled across your thread and have been reading for the last half hour. First, thanks for sharing. It’s cool to see someone honest with their approach and track experiences both positive and negative. (Helps others like me learn what has and has not worked for you.)

I have some prior track experience but none in a Mustang and none in a manual, so pretty much starting from scratch like you did way back in post 3. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share….it is helpful for some of us for sure.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP, just stumbled across your thread and have been reading for the last half hour. First, thanks for sharing. It’s cool to see someone honest with their approach and track experiences both positive and negative. (Helps others like me learn what has and has not worked for you.)

I have some prior track experience but none in a Mustang and none in a manual, so pretty much starting from scratch like you did way back in post 3. :)

Thanks for taking the time to share….it is helpful for some of us for sure.
I appreciate the kind words Chuck!
It's been fun for me as well to log my journey and to go back and read where I was when I started.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Finally getting some fun work done on the car! I've been wanting to add hood venting for awhile now and decided today was the day.

I used a Dremel to cut the whole thing. Took 1 diamond cutting disc (or whatever the more expensive disc is made of) and 2 regular metal cutting discs...
I am about to add Race Louvers hood vent. Which Dremel did you use - the little one, or one of their saws? (Yes, I know you since acquired an angle grinder.)

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to add Race Louvers hood vent. Which Dremel did you use - the little one, or one of their saws? (Yes, I know you since acquired an angle grinder.)
I just used one of their standard corded units. Nothing fancy.
If you can find their "diamond" cutting discs, those help speed it up a lot. Their standard metal cutting discs work too but they get eaten up quickly. Then just use one of their grinding wheels to smooth out the cuts afterwards.

Angle grinder takes maybe 1/10th of the time but will still need a Dremel for precision cuts and grinding.

Taking the hood off the car makes it easier but you can absolutely do it with the hood still on the car too. Just get some moving blankets to cover the engine so aluminum dust doesn't get everywhere.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Well you didn't answer my question. Trying again:
Did you use one of their hobby units, or one of their saws?
Surely the hobby unit is not powerful enough for the job.

I wonder if one of their saws would have a narrower blade than a regular angle grinder, which should speed up the process.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Well you didn't answer my question. Trying again:
Did you use one of their hobby units, or one of their saws?
Surely the hobby unit is not powerful enough for the job.

I wonder if one of their saws would have a narrower blade than a regular angle grinder, which should speed up the process.
Have pictures of the difference?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Clearly this hobby tool is not large enough or strong enough.
61EAadWd-0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And I wonder if this will do the job, maybe better than standard angle grinder because this will have a narrow blade and thus not remove as much material.
2417205_newmas.jpg
Sponsored