Sponsored

Ewheels Road Course Build

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
So, clearly, enough satellite coverage is available. Is there any way to record how many satellites it's seeing in the moment? You should probably have the phone in a window, but better yet would be to use the car GPS in the roof or a magnetic roof mount antenna.
Racechrono tells you how many satellites
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I remember you inquiring about the Kuhmo v730 last year I think and just an FYI Simple store has them for $310/tire before promo code. Just got to the shop and will put them on this weekend. Will see what my event next weekend brings.
I was very interested in those tires and I've read they are quite good BUT I have also read numerous reports that they don't like heavier cars. Probably worth a try though.
At this point, I'm thinking I will either go with Continental ECF's or Nankang CRS next.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I was very interested in those tires and I've read they are quite good BUT I have also read numerous reports that they don't like heavier cars. Probably worth a try though.
At this point, I'm thinking I will either go with Continental ECF's or Nankang CRS next.
Imho, Conti ECF would be a strange choice for your needs, as they seem to run pretty close times to Hankooks RS4, which are not lap record tires at all. Contis also cost a lot more, so...

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Imho, Conti ECF would be a strange choice for your needs, as they seem to run pretty close times to Hankooks RS4, which are not lap record tires at all. Contis also cost a lot more, so...
Iā€™d have to agree. I like the ECF for longevity and consistency. Thatā€™s what it was built for, not setting records.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Iā€™ve read the same. My heart was set on the CRS but a local shop didnā€™t carry them and with the v730 pricing it was more my speed for the budget this year. The CRS will be my next tire for sure

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
@Biggsy , BTW, really big thanks for pointing out these tires and reduced prices on those. I did some digging for my other car, and while simpletire didn't have the best pricing on those in the size that I need, I found crazy good discount for v730's in my size on walmart.com.

having said that, if anyone needs GY SC 3R in 305/30/19 size, walmart has the lowest price I have seen so far on them as well at $355 per tire.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d have to agree. I like the ECF for longevity and consistency. Thatā€™s what it was built for, not setting records.
Completely agree with your assessments but to keep with my skill improvements over chasing times, I thought ECF might be good for me. A consistent tire is going to be much better for me to learn on than one who's characteristics change from lap to lap.

If I'm honest with myself, I'll still probably get the CRS because I want a sub 2 lap at Buttonwillow, god damnit šŸ˜†
Unless they come out with a 305 for the new RE71RS. I've been hearing amazing things about that tire but I don't want to step down to a 285 as their current largest size.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Completely agree with your assessments but to keep with my skill improvements over chasing times, I thought ECF might be good for me. A consistent tire is going to be much better for me to learn on than one who's characteristics change from lap to lap.
If it was me, I would just get RS-4 then. very similar performance at $100 less per wheel. I have not seen a good deal on ECF so far.
If I'm honest with myself, I'll still probably get the CRS because I want a sub 2 lap at Buttonwillow, god damnit šŸ˜†
seems that it's time to get one more set of wheels :crackup: . Having endurance set for practicing and PB setting set for time trials is not such a bad idea. GY 3R's sell at great prices these days, unless you need to stay within 200TW limit.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
If it was me, I would just get RS-4 then. very similar performance at $100 less per wheel. I have not seen a good deal on ECF so far.
In 295/30/19 you can get them on Track Day Tire with NASA or Chin code for about $356. If you want 315/30s then that is up there in price.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
seems that it's time to get one more set of wheels :crackup: . Having endurance set for practicing and PB setting set for time trials is not such a bad idea. GY 3R's sell at great prices these days, unless you need to stay within 200TW limit.
1677263341802.png

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
In 295/30/19 you can get them on Track Day Tire with NASA or Chin code for about $356. If you want 315/30s then that is up there in price.
Yes, I am comparing 315 ECF to 305 RS-4, I feel it's more correct as these two have pretty much identical section and tread widths. 295 ECF is more in line with something like 285 RT660 in measurement. At least on paper, ECF's seem to be running one size narrow.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of paper, not that NASA is the be-all-end-all, but if you look at the classifications:

1/20/2023 - Moved Continental Extreme Contact Force and Hankook Ventus RS4 to +1.6 Mod Factor tire group. v4.6

As it currently stands, the RT660 is in the +1.0 category, or in their eyes, even with something like a Yoko A052, which are faster than the other +1.6 mod tires, but not in the +0 tires like the A7/R7, 3R, etc.

In this case, better is somewhat subjective, but faster is almost objective, as they've got all the builds, dyno sheets and times, it's not like they're financially incentivized to change tire classifications, more of a balance of power thing.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Number 20!!

I had my 20th track day a couple weekends ago (work got busy, no time to do write up) and it came with trophy!

Came back to Streets of Willow for a time attack event and ended the day with 2nd place in class. Very low turn out for whatever reason so everyone that showed up ended up on podium.
Within the Street class was myself and a friend of mine. First session, I got a new PB but my friend was still a couple seconds ahead of me, landing me in 2nd.
Second session, both of us go slower than our session one times and being it was only the two of us in class, we both agreed to skip the third session and pack up early.

A podium by default isn't the way I'd want to earn a podium finish but hey, I'll take it. It was a fun day with such a small group and everyone hanging out with one another.

I also talked with a much more experienced driver who is familiar with my Toyo RR tires and he said they turn into bricks before they cord so my set after 7 track events might be toast. I also checked that I can stay in Street class and run some much grippier tires so a new set of Nankang CRS or possibly the new RE71RS will be on my summer break shopping list along with finally addressing my cooling issues.

Last point: I tested out the Veepeak OBD unit for the first time and it worked great! Automatically connects to Track Addicts and gives rpm, throttle %, and gear indication. I was hoping it would also provide speed but apparently that is gps derived...which is terribly inaccurate on iPhones. I'll still need to get a gps booster eventually.

ChaunceyM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just want to say this thread is everything I've been looking for. Just picked up a 2015 GT PP as an upgrade to my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 track toy. Now I have to re-learn all that knowledge. Handling, brakes, wheels/tires, and more importantly engine and fluid temps to keep an eye on.
But I really can't wait to get this out to NJMP and feel the difference. So I'll be pouring over your experience and slowly building up my car every year as I get comfortable with it.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just want to say this thread is everything I've been looking for. Just picked up a 2015 GT PP as an upgrade to my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 track toy. Now I have to re-learn all that knowledge. Handling, brakes, wheels/tires, and more importantly engine and fluid temps to keep an eye on.
But I really can't wait to get this out to NJMP and feel the difference. So I'll be pouring over your experience and slowly building up my car every year as I get comfortable with it.
Thanks for the kind words!
If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out. I'll help however I can.
Sponsored