Sponsored

Engine Light ON...

XStang_2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT DIB
Hey Guys,

2016 GT owner here from Australia here. Just wanted a more global advice on my issue currently.

About a month ago had a 90,000k service. Car had only done 81k. Car has come back out and the engine light has come on.
So I've sent it back into Ford. They struggled to find what the reason was. So they've changed all the spark plugs and re-timed. They went out tested, the light was off.

I had it back for a day, then the engine light has come back on. Sent it back in again.

They claimed the 8th cylinder was misfiring. They took the head off, inspected. I was asked what fuel I use. I said its had nothing other than premium 98 since I first bought it. They claimed the cylinder could have carbon build up, and to service it with the BG performance service - adding additives in the engine and fuel system. They dropped the oil again, re fitted filters etc Filled up with new fuel. They had the car for a week, tried to let it run through having the dealer principle (a mustang owner) drive the the car during the week to allow it to run through. The Engine light was off again at this stage.

I've had it back 4days. Engine light was off, with a quarter of that fuel left with the added additive left. Last night the engine light came back on.

They're claiming if it were to come back on, I'd have to do a deep clean of the engine/all cylinders with the heavy duty machinery, or send off parts to head office?

Has ANYONE had this issue in the states? I don't have an endless supply of funds to keep sending it back and forth without a precise plan of attack.
If so, what was your plan of action on your car and what did you do to fix the issue?

ANY HELP would be amazing!! Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Get the codes from the dealer and post them here.

A very common issue with the 15-17 model years is a failure of the IMRC (intake manifold runner control) valve, on either side of the intake manifold. There is a rod that actuates the valves based on engine speed and when the rod breaks. One side will work and the other won’t.

If you notice a light misfire/hesitation under part throttle there’s a very good chance this is your issue. I have an old thread about it, if you look through my posts.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Cracked intake manifold, as described above.

Your dealership is shit not to know that.

OP
OP

XStang_2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT DIB
Thanks for the help guys! At this stage I'm open to any advice so I can try and school Ford on what it could be... instead of them billing me for ridiculous hours for them to close their eyes and point to a section in the engine bay and think - "it could be that..."

@Shifting_Gears - I'm trying to find your thread in your old posts, do you remember the title of it at all?

I'm also trying to get the codes to post up as well 👍

Sponsored

OP
OP

XStang_2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT DIB
Hey guys,

A few updates. I got the error code from Ford - PO308

Have flagged and passed on details from the group about the IMRC. I was trying to drive the car to the Ford service centre and experienced another whole range of issues which I was hoping you guys could help with, which I think is linked to the issue you described.

- Lost throttle power
- Engine light was now flashing
- Temp gauge went NUTS! like up and down several times.
- Gauge went red - Alert came up - "Engine Coolant Over Temperature"
- Engine surging
- Engine shut down
- Weird exhaust smell (when stopped and started again later)

I ended up waiting, tried starting again 30mins later. was 2mins in and the same issue. I ended up having to tow the car to Service.

What are your thoughts gang?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
P0308 = indicates an issue with Cyl 8.

Have you tried to swap Cyl 7 coil pack with Cyl 8 to see if the prob jumps to Cyl 7? If so, it’s a coil pack issue.

Also just so you know, you don’t need a fancy scanner to get the DTC’s. Here ya go:

If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the “Engineer Test Mode”.

Follow this link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engineering-test-mode.27581/

If you you have a 2018+ with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Things are not adding up:
They claimed the 8th cylinder was misfiring. They took the head off, inspected. I was asked what fuel I use. I said its had nothing other than premium 98 since I first bought it. They claimed the cylinder could have carbon build up, and to service it with the BG performance service - adding additives in the engine and fuel system. They dropped the oil again, re fitted filters etc Filled up with new fuel. They had the car for a week, tried to let it run through having the dealer principle (a mustang owner) drive the the car during the week to allow it to run through. The Engine light was off again at this stage.
Except the misfire on Cyl 8 (the DTC confirms that), everything else is really strange:
  1. They pulled the head off just to ask you what fuel you are using.
  2. They just put some fuel additive and let their boss drive it for a week?? - And that's the only thing done after pulling a head?? -
Then this:

I was trying to drive the car to the Ford service centre and experienced another whole range of issues which I was hoping you guys could help with, which I think is linked to the issue you described.

- Lost throttle power
- Engine light was now flashing
- Temp gauge went NUTS! like up and down several times.
- Gauge went red - Alert came up - "Engine Coolant Over Temperature"
- Engine surging
- Engine shut down
- Weird exhaust smell (when stopped and started again later)

I ended up waiting, tried starting again 30mins later. was 2mins in and the same issue. I ended up having to tow the car to Service.

What are your thoughts gang?
My thoughts? They are incompetent at best or a band of thieves, if I want to think badly.
These symptoms are compatible with a blown head gasket. If they really pulled the head...

Run for your life.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Sorry to read you're dealing with this. As I proof my typing, I'm left with the impression each time you have taken your car to this dealer, the car's condition has worsened.

The car was taken in for scheduled service and returned with the engine light on. What all did they do during the 90K service?

The Dealer later advised (and you confirmed) a mis-fire on cylinder 8; this problem didn't exist before service, did it?

Premium 98 fuel. Check. I did read up a tad on Australian fuels. The gas you were using, did it contain a general purpose detergent? Most fuels in the US do, to keep injectors, piston tops and some other bits clean.

In making repairs towards clearing the engine code fault, the techs had the cylinder head off. And it seems something went awry then. Maybe they used a wrong gasket, didn't purge air from the coolant system, broke something while making repairs, IDK.

And it could have been damaged with this: "They had the car for a week, tried to let it run through having the dealer principle (a mustang owner) drive the the car during the week to allow it to run through."

That the dealer drove the car for a week, this bothers me. I suspect he beat on it rather heavily, to "clean up" whatever they suspected was contaminating the cylinders. Completely unnecessary. You could have done same, simply going on an extended highway drive with a full tank of fuel and an detergent additive.

Unfortunately, the indications you're giving, they're along the lines something has now been breached: coolant is now mixing with the engine internals.

Understood the car is now back at the Service Department.

I wouldn't have them do anything else until:

1) they can explain what happened, from initial drop-off until now

2) what's their proposed way ahead

3) they affirm they're paying for everything, including the initial (and IMO, botched) 90K service

4) they're returning the car to you, with a warranty for the work, in the condition you initial left with them

If they have a lead tech they can put on the car, that'd be great. Or possibly transfer over to another dealer with a stronger Service Department.

If you don't get satisfaction from the existing dealer, chat up another. Or contact Ford Australia and open a case. https://www.ford.com.au/owners/contact-us/

Last edited:
OP
OP

XStang_2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT DIB
Hey @ORRadtech @luca1290 @Skye,

I'm not going to lie it's been a shit fight and yes none of these problems started since the 90k service. See below the job transcript of what was carried out the last 3 times... But yes the codes are P0308 / P0300.

Now tomorrow I've got to think about how to tackle this and if its worth this Ford team looking at the specific avenues some of the other members have said to get checked - IMRC.

Here are the job itemisations:

1. The 90k Service
2. The change of Spark Plugs
3. The BG Performance additives

tempImageLmxShS.png

tempImageZG6C6P.png

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Reads like a standard, routine maintenance interval. Maybe it was just a coincidence the light started alarming afterwards. But I suspect even with this short history, something might have happened while they were doing that service.

For reference, a link to BG44.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-platinum-44k-fuel-system-cleaner/

Something like BG44, adding a bottle and taking on a long highway drive would have been fine. I noticed AU can have fuel vendors which are not as great in detergents and/or have higher contaminants than others. But the BG44 could have corrected for that, or at least made headway towards cleaning it up.

And why not use BG44 before pulling the cylinder head? I suspect the dealer was motivated more towards earning greater AU$.

As the repairs progress, ask them to take photos of whatever they're doing. They don't have to capture every step, but if cleaning or replacing an item from here on out, ask them to show proof, before and after. I would have liked to have seen photos when the cylinder head initially came off.

Best Thoughts in getting things corrected. :please:

Last edited:
OP
OP

XStang_2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT DIB
Reads like a standard, routine maintenance interval. Maybe it was just a coincidence the light started alarming afterwards. But I suspect even with this short history, something might have happened while they were doing that service.

For reference, a link to BG44.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-platinum-44k-fuel-system-cleaner/

Something like BG44, adding a bottle and taking on a long highway drive would have been fine. I noticed AU can have fuel vendors which are not as great in detergents and/or have higher contaminants than others. But the BG44 could have corrected for that, or at least made headway towards cleaning it up.

And why not use BG44 before pulling the cylinder head? I suspect the dealer was motivated more towards earning greater AU$.

As the repairs progress, ask them to take photos of whatever they're doing. They don't have to capture every step, but if cleaning or replacing an item from here on out, ask them to show proof, before and after. I would have liked to have seen photos when the cylinder head initially came off.

Best Thoughts in getting things corrected. :please:
Thanks @Skye Will keep you posted. 🙏
Sponsored