Engine knock?

5.0Vonn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jovan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Package 1
My Engine was making this noise upon start up after sitting for a week or so. Does anyone know what this noise is or have an idea? I’m pretty concerned and this car has been stressing me out since I bought it.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Try some ceratec if you want. Mine also has always had that hissing zapping noise which I think is from the high pressure fuel pump.
Check your oil level

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Call me crazy but it sounds like usual cold start direct injection noises.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Take the belt off and see if it still makes that noise.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You’ll know engine knock…. go get (2) metal pots, bang then together really fast.

Engine knock is fun when it abruptly comes into play @ 60mph on an interstate and within 30 secs the engine ventilates piston rods 4 and 8 through the side of the block with other metal shards blowing through the oil pan all over the highway, leaving a huge Spy Hunter smoke screen and oil slick . . .

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Get an automotive stethoscope and narrow down where it's coming from. It almost sounds like an exhaust gasket leak to me, but certainly could be a pulley chirping.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Get an automotive stethoscope and narrow down where it's coming from. It almost sounds like an exhaust gasket leak to me, but certainly could be a pulley chirping.
^^^^This is the best idea.^^^^
Internet sound/noise clips are all but useless really.
My first thought was the AC compressor clutch or a pully but an exhaust leak would fit too.
People need to quit panicking when they hear something and do some real diagnostic work.

Sponsored
OP
OP
5.0Vonn

5.0Vonn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jovan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Package 1
Thanks for the idea. I had never even heard of an automotive stethoscope until now, I’m new to the car and not the most experienced with mechanic work but I have an open mind and want to learn more. I’ll grab one and see if I can figure out how to find out where exactly it’s coming from.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I have the same noise going on with my 2019 Bullitt. It’s been doing it for a couple of years, but no DTCs or performance related issues that I can tell. It seems like a lengthy repair based on this TSB.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/attachments/tsb-19-2140-5-0-chirping-pdf.552741/
Mine has done it randomly since day 1! Currently at 20K miles, runs like a champ. My 1st gen made similar noise and got it to 130K trouble free miles, I don't worry about it. Coyote is noisy by nature..... Just send her to redline and she loves it.

+ That is in no way, shape or form engine knock.

That being said there is nothing wrong with checking out your pullies and belts etc. Also that TSB is terrible, they pull the whole thing apart and says it "MAY" fix the issue lol.
Sponsored