honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Howdy all! Creating a separate thread for search engine optimization to make it easier for folks to find this if they have something similar.

HB developed the dreaded misfire again. When I took the car into my local dealer in June to get the AC repair completed, they ended up pinching a wire on the harness that caused me to get code P0013 about 2 days after I got the car back. I took it back to them and they "repaired" it. Fast forward to now and we're back with more less the the same code, but for bank 2 (so code P0020 - Camshaft Position (A) Actuator Circuit (Bank 2)).

Considering the car has been into the dealer 3 times and only 1 of those time was it not their fault, looks like we'll be doing this one ourselves. I've tested the OCV resistance (came in at 8.2 ohms), so that looks good. Given that I had this exact same problem 2 months ago, but on the other side of the engine, I am fairly certain it has to be the engine harness. I'd be shocked if 2 OCVs failed consecutively. Anyone have any other ideas of things I should look at?

Original thread for other code for reference https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nk-1-exhuast-vct-solenoid.85230/#post-1904936
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
By chance is anyone able to upload a wiring diagram of the engine harness? Need to determine which pins on the ECU plug control the OCVs so I can run a continuity test.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
228380345.jpg

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This Help?

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Welp, I found the problem. The wires for Solenoid 1 were bad going into the plug. I did a continuity test on the circuit and it failed. I started to investigate the plug itself and the wires broke off. Oye. So the question now becomes do I replace the entire harness or get a new plug?

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, I found the problem. The wires for Solenoid 1 were bad going into the plug. I did a continuity test on the circuit and it failed. I started to investigate the plug itself and the wires broke off. Oye. So the question now becomes do I replace the entire harness or get a new plug?

No Messing around with Race Car Do it right! If it fails while on a trip you'll regret it. Plus you will now have a spare with a patch on it!
I think its this one. Correct me if I'm wrong.Looks cost effective.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...wMTYmdD1zaGVsYnktZ3QzNTAmZT01LTJsLXY4LWdhcw==

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No Messing around with Race Car Do it right! If it fails while on a trip you'll regret it. Plus you will now have a spare with a patch on it!
I think its this one. Correct me if I'm wrong.Looks cost effective.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-engine-harness-gu5z12a581su/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9d2lyaW5nLWhhcm5lc3MmaT1KQzE1MjM4NSZyPTQmYT1mb3JkJm89bXVzdGFuZyZ5PTIwMTYmdD1zaGVsYnktZ3QzNTAmZT01LTJsLXY4LWdhcw==
That's my train of thought too. I am a bit concerned about access, though. Not sure I can even get it off with the engine in the car. Hmm...probably worth a try, though.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will check my Alldata at work tomorrow, see how long it books out for on labor, might lead us to a better direction. See if removing engine mounts or dropping transmission mounts and using a floor jack to tilt Engine/Trans is the way to go.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Congrats on tracking it down!! Do you think it was related to any work done on your car or if it came from factory that way? You’re not the first to post here about issues with the harness/connections.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My car needs it's harness replaced, just because the backup camera is glitching out. Engine, backup camera, etc is all in a 1 piece harness and the entire interior needs to come apart for this. I'm not looking forward to having it replaced.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's my train of thought too. I am a bit concerned about access, though. Not sure I can even get it off with the engine in the car. Hmm...probably worth a try, though.
229551350.jpg

Looks like it might be a PITA @honeybadger no time is listed for All Data SMH. Getting to those back Harnesses plus it Ties into the Transmission. UGH

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Congrats on tracking it down!! Do you think it was related to any work done on your car or if it came from factory that way? You’re not the first to post here about issues with the harness/connections.
I'm thinking it's manufacturing related. Not sure why anyone would've been yanking on wires around the driver side sensors. I was pretty surprised to be honest. Once the plug came off, I tested the continuity of the circuit again and it was good, so it was definitely the plug. Super weird. I'll post pics tonight.

My car needs it's harness replaced, just because the backup camera is glitching out. Engine, backup camera, etc is all in a 1 piece harness and the entire interior needs to come apart for this. I'm not looking forward to having it replaced.
Really?! That seriously sucks. Plastic panels never remove and go back in the same. That sucks.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
229551350.jpg

Looks like it might be a PITA @honeybadger no time is listed for All Data SMH. Getting to those back Harnesses plus it Ties into the Transmission. UGH
Damn! Exactly what I was afraid of. Oye. I'll throw the car up on jacks tonight and see if I can get the existing one off. I MIGHT be able to do it, but who knows. Sure hope so...found some other wires that are kinked, so not really wanting to leave it in.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn! Exactly what I was afraid of. Oye. I'll throw the car up on jacks tonight and see if I can get the existing one off. I MIGHT be able to do it, but who knows. Sure hope so...found some other wires that are kinked, so not really wanting to leave it in.
Wish I wasn't on the other side of the country or I would help! Anything you need Let Me Know!!! Best of luck to you Brother!! Love reading your adventures! I wish i had the time to travel the country and race my car! For now i live vicariously through you lol
Sponsored