Ecoboost PP or GT Base

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I wouldn't call them close in price; GT $33.3k vs Eco w/PP $28.5k. You could mod the Eco and get the performance into GT territory and still be less than the GT price.

I was looking for a new daily driver and wanted a balance between performance and economy. I purchased a 15 Ecoboost Premium with PP and nav. I haven't regretted my decision for a second. The handling is outstanding while still maintaining a comfortable ride and it has more power than I can use driving back and forth to work.

Dave

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Hey guys,

Since the 2 are fairly close in price I'm wondering if the Ecoboost PP might handle better than the GT base for less money. I searched and didn't find any comparisons.

I live in an area where I don't have the option to test the two out so looking for feedback. Handling is more of a priority than straight line acceleration.

Thanks for any feedback!
Yes, this is one of those topics. :) If you are talking purely about enjoying on the curvy back roads without pushing the total limits of the car, then the EB PP might be right for you. They will both handle very similarly, with the GT likely having slightly more push at the limits (due to the slightly heavier front end). I would guess you would only feel that if you were really pushing the car. For a DD the EB would be a fine option especially if you are not married to the absolute torque and sound/feel of the V8. If you are looking for overall performance either in corners or a straight line, the GT will be superior but at a non-trivial cost.

jjsotolongo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Talking purely stock, a PP Eco will corner better than a base GT for reasons already covered: suspension more suited to handling, less weight over the nose, more braking power per pound of vehicle, and much stickier rubber. That being said a base GT is a wheel/tire and suspension upgrade away from matching if not exceeding a stock PP eco in the turns. Just like with various engine mods you can get an Eco to out accelerate a stock GT.

If you are ok with modding then go with whichever your budget allows, and which one you like the character of more. Otherwise you will be choosing between straight line performance and cornering performance.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Thanks for the input everyone. I did own a 15 GT for a short bit (base auto) but ended up getting rid of it. Which is a long story in of itself but the short answer is I want one back. My experience was great but I longed for better handling and as awesome as the acceleration was it's not practical without getting a ticket. I get my thrills from twisty back roads and pushing the car through the turns as fast as I dare.

It's gotta be auto so GT PP is out .... that's why the PP ecoboost question.

Guess I'll have to try hard to find a auto PP ecoboost to try!

On a side note, I do not understand why automakers would not offer BOTH options of transmissions on their sporty cars. This does not make any financial sense to me.
For next to nothing you can get PP sways bars and springs. I also needed and auto, so I bought PP sway bars and springs, but then decided on lowering springs, because I like a little drop.

If you have ever owned a Porsche or Corvette, Mustang parts are almost free.

My wife has an EcoBoost, I don't want another. The mileage is not what we had expected.

Sponsored

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Can you just get both? ;)

FWIW I love my EcoBoost amd would make the same choice again I made four months ago.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Id like to recommend the V6.:bolt:
:thumbsup:

When buying a sportscar like a Challenger, Camaro, or Mustang, I am buying it for the performance and not the look or the economy. For that reason alone I would always buy the GT-equivalent version and never the smaller engine trims.

oilfieldtrash

likes mustangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic (still love mustangs though)
Both have pros and cons. Ecoboost better mpg, cheaper, lighter. GT more power, better sound, torque.
I'd honestly say if you can afford the gas and tires get the GT. The ecoboost is handicapped by it's subpar cooling system that would require a couple grand to remedy. I love the ecoboost but won't own another till I can drive one and not lose 40 hp because it's heat soaked after the first 20 seconds of running the car hard.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
One does not buy a Mustang worrying about MPG. That said my GT with 3:55 gears/Auto gets 17mpg city 24 hwy. Put a Lund Flex Tune and low flow aftermarket cat back exhaust on. I put Corsa Extreme exhaust on mine and I like the aggressive sound. Go large you won't regret it.

RipShift2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Mustang = V8. If you want a turbo 4 get a Focus.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Mustang = V8. If you want a turbo 4 get a Focus.
Seriously? These arguments are getting lame. Mustang=whatever Ford offers. If he wants a turbo 4 guess what? He can get it in a mustang! Wow what a concept - offer customers choices.